Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Third Year Classes
Herbology III (1/4) *New Class 2/10* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:25 pm
User Image
                                                      ɚSo what if you can see the darkest side of me?
                                                      No one will ever change this animal I have become

User Image
                                                      ════════════════════════

Sʟʏᴛʜᴇʀɪɴ Aʟᴜᴍɴɪ || Oᴡɴᴇʀ, Dᴏɢᴡᴇᴇᴅ & Dᴇᴀᴛʜᴄᴀᴘs || Hᴇʀʙᴏʟᴏɢʏ Pʀᴏғᴇssᴏʀ

════════════════════════

Jason took a seat on the table in front of the greenhouse. He watched as the students filed in, and he crossed his arms as he waited for everyone to find a seat. He wanted to get the lesson started early, considering that there was really nothing he viewed as needing to be reviewed. Then again, he also figured if students needed a refresher or assistance, they could easily find him in Hogsmeade or his office. He wasn't that far away, after all. To one side, there was a pot with a strange, broad-leafed plant nestled within. There were pots located on the tables for the students, and Jason waited until they were all seated before starting his lesson.

As the last students filed in, he flicked his wand, the doors shutting and locking immediately before he stood. His eyes bored into the children before him.
                                                      "Welcome back. As I assume that we do not need a refresher from last year, we are going on into this year's subject matters. After this year, you shall go on to Professor Thorne's classes, and I assume that you will have at least mastered the basics of the course. If you have not, then you need to schedule a time with me during the week I am at the school to get assistance. As you will be going to Hogsmeade this year, I expect you will find me at my shop during those weekends. You may also request assistance there, however, I will advise you that some of the plants there are more advanced than your current experience. If you wish to get extra house points, I challenge you to come there and ask for instruction in more advanced plants. I will not turn away students that wish to enrich their learning in that fashion. I will not accept incompetence or assumptions that you do not care about this subject matter. On the contrary, I will be most displeased if any of you manage to get below an Acceptable on your OWLs. Whether you like the class, or me as an instructor is of no consequence. The simple fact remains that you should strive to do your level best in the course, and strive to at least pass this course in your OWLs. After that, should you decide to continue Herbology is up to you. I will state that it is a distinct pleasure to watch something you have cultivated and assisted grow. However, your opinions on the subject may vary, and are of little consequence to me."

The werewolf ended his lecture on that subject with a gesture at the plant to his side. "Now, if you would care to take a look at the plant beside me, you will notice this seems like an ordinary weed. However, I wish to correct you on that assumption. This plant is known as a Puffapod. Puffapods are an annual plant that are a common sight in many wizarding gardens. They are most particular in that their pods, when they make contact with a solid object, burst into bloom. They are the only species of plant known to start their lives out as a flower before they become the plants you see before you now. After they bloom, the remainder of their lifespan is spent germinating new pods. These pods, when used in potions, are highly useful as a fast-acting agent to speed up the brewing process." He looked around the class before continuing. "For the rest of your time today, I would like for you to each plant a Puffapod pod and bury it before it blooms. This process is particularly tricky with the plant's propensity to spontaneously burst, so extra care must be taken in handling your pods. You must be gentle with the plants, as jostling them may invite a premature burst. I will of course monitor your progress, and should you require assistance or need a new pod, you may raise your hand for it."

════════════════════════
                                                      Thinking: New year, same students...
                                                      OOC:

ɚHelp me believe it's not the real me
                                                      Somebody help me tame this animal I have become

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:59 am
This a long time coming like a comet pass;
Got 'em all fired up from the rocket blast!
And if I fall on my sword turn my bones to ash...
Let it clog up the sand in that hourglass.
We're in the title fight, blow for a blow!
And you can reap the benefits of what I have to sow.
'Cause I'm about that worth of which you don't appear to know-
So you can take the scene while I take over the show.

User Image
A S T E R I A
C E C I L Y
F R E Y

third yeargryffindormuggleborn

Aster was never going to like Herbology. In fact, she was almost certain she hated the subject. It's one saving grace was Professor Hill, because the man was a gem. A diamond in the rough, if you will. You could always count on some moron to say something stupid, and Professor Hill to pounce on them, and it was always fun to watch, so long as you weren't the one getting eviscerated. Aster would miss him next year, when she'd have a new professor, the Hufflepuff Head of House and the deputy headmistress, Professor Thorne.

Great, plants that exploded into flowers. Wonderful. She gingerly picked up a pod, already feeling that this wasn't going to end well.

OOC:
Username

It's a long way down when your head is in the clouds...
And all around the sirens play; don't get in my way!
Don't tell me I should bow, 'cause I'm no clown;
And this is not a game, don't get in my way!
Poisoned by the snakes in the grass...
Hoaxed by the rats out the maze...
Shoulda never poked the lion as she passed;
'Cause now it's two hawks in a cage.

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:46 pm
User Image

User Image
                                                      ════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Jason crossed his arms as he leaned up against the table behind him, waiting for students to file into the classroom. On the table, as well as other tables in the classroom, was a pot with a plant inside. The plant had several leaves shooting up from its base, while a couple of black stems grew from its base, a white flower crowning each. The plant itself was with several others of its kind in the pot, and looked to be thriving.

As the last of the students filed in., Jason gave his customary wave of his wand and the doors closed and locked behind them. He then stood straight as he observed the class.
                                                      "Welcome back to class. Last lesson we did a unit on Puffapods, while this lesson we will focus on another plant with magical properties. More specifically, very powerful magical properties that involve removing dark enchantments. Ironically, this plant is found in muggle mythology as something that helped an ancient Greek hero overcome a dark witch's enchantments. I am of course referring to the tale of Odysseus and his encounter with Circe, and the plant known as Moly. This plant was lost to muggle knowledge, however that is due more to the efforts of hiding its existence since the Statute of Secrecy was put into place.

"Moly is a plant that when you've consumed its flower, counteracts a wide variety of enchantments. This ability makes it invaluable in not only treating people afflicted, but also in potion making. It is useful in numerous potions, most notably in the Wiggenweld potion. Its bulb and leaves are completely useless, however the stems and flowers of the plant are used. Because of its versatility, it is highly valuable."

The werewolf gestured to the plants before the students. "For your assignment today, we are going to trim, separate, and repot these molys. As always, two to a pot. You are to trim the flowers and stems off of these plants, and then come up here for a few pots. Then your task is to separate the plants into their own pots and fertilize them. Please also look at the condition and size of each moly you handle. If it seems sickly, please separate it from the others and place it off to the side for me to care for. ANy immature plants, as in, small and without their flowers and stems are to remain in the first pot to be allowed to mature. If you do not know how to do this simple task, then you have not been paying attention to class. You will please refrain from touching the plants and instead observe the other students doing their tasks." He then settled back to observe the class, on occasion standing and walking amongst the students as they worked.

════════════════════════
                                                      Thinking: There shouldn't be incompetents in this class...
                                                      OOC:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:05 pm
~ New Year ~

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:12 pm
User Image

User Image
                                                      ════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Jason took a seat on the table in front of the greenhouse. He watched as the students filed in, and he crossed his arms as he waited for everyone to find a seat. He wanted to get the lesson started early, considering that there was really nothing he viewed as needing to be reviewed. Then again, he also figured if students needed a refresher or assistance, they could easily find him in Hogsmeade or his office. He wasn't that far away, after all. To one side, there was a pot with a strange, broad-leafed plant nestled within. There were pots located on the tables for the students, and Jason waited until they were all seated before starting his lesson.

As the last students filed in, he flicked his wand, the doors shutting and locking immediately before he stood. His eyes bored into the children before him.
                                                      "Welcome back. As I assume that we do not need a refresher from last year, we are going on into this year's subject matters. After this year, you shall go on to Professor Thorne's classes, and I assume that you will have at least mastered the basics of the course. If you have not, then you need to schedule a time with me during the week I am at the school to get assistance. As you will be going to Hogsmeade this year, I expect you will find me at my shop during those weekends. You may also request assistance there, however, I will advise you that some of the plants there are more advanced than your current experience. If you wish to get extra house points, I challenge you to come there and ask for instruction in more advanced plants. I will not turn away students that wish to enrich their learning in that fashion. I will not accept incompetence or assumptions that you do not care about this subject matter. On the contrary, I will be most displeased if any of you manage to get below an Acceptable on your OWLs. Whether you like the class, or me as an instructor is of no consequence. The simple fact remains that you should strive to do your level best in the course, and strive to at least pass this course in your OWLs. After that, should you decide to continue Herbology is up to you. I will state that it is a distinct pleasure to watch something you have cultivated and assisted grow. However, your opinions on the subject may vary, and are of little consequence to me."

The werewolf ended his lecture on that subject with a gesture at the plant to his side. "Now, if you would care to take a look at the plant beside me, you will notice this seems like an ordinary weed. However, I wish to correct you on that assumption. This plant is known as a Puffapod. Puffapods are an annual plant that are a common sight in many wizarding gardens. They are most particular in that their pods, when they make contact with a solid object, burst into bloom. They are the only species of plant known to start their lives out as a flower before they become the plants you see before you now. After they bloom, the remainder of their lifespan is spent germinating new pods. These pods, when used in potions, are highly useful as a fast-acting agent to speed up the brewing process." He looked around the class before continuing. "For the rest of your time today, I would like for you to each plant a Puffapod pod and bury it before it blooms. This process is particularly tricky with the plant's propensity to spontaneously burst, so extra care must be taken in handling your pods. You must be gentle with the plants, as jostling them may invite a premature burst. I will of course monitor your progress, and should you require assistance or need a new pod, you may raise your hand for it."

════════════════════════
                                                      OOC:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:48 pm
User Image
User Image

Although Herbology wasn't among his most favorite subjects, Liam thoroughly enjoyed the practical aspect that Professor Hill brought to the class. It was one thing to take notes about a topic, but a whole new world actually diving into it and gaining hands-on experience. After they were given detailed instructions on the day's lesson, Liam prepared his station and slipped on his dragon hide gloves one at a time. It likely would've seemed silly to the others, but the puffopods appeared so sensitive that the Ravenclaw began to fear that just looking at one for too long would cause it to burst.

With a gentle touch, Liam slowly scooped the puffapod situated before him into both hands, careful not to jostle it in order to ensure it remained in tact. Although these plants looked delightful in bloom, he couldn't stomach the idea of failing to do as they had been told. Moving as fast as slugs move slow, the boy lowered his hands and the puffapod they held into the depths of the pot that had been placed on his desk, releasing it only when the backs of his fingers felt the sensation of cold earth. Without disturbing the dormant plant, Liam lightly began to push the dirt over it, evening out the surface of the slightly moistened substrate once the pod could no longer be seen. It might have taken him longer than necessary, but the task had been successfully completed.

User Image

Porcelaine Ivory

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:45 pm
User Image

User ImageUser Image
                                              Location : Herbology (Greenhouse) - Thursday @ 8:00am

Emma walked into the greenhouse for Herbology with a slight yawn. She was still finding herself waking up but she promised herself she'd be alert once class got started. Taking a seat, she looked over the potted plants. 'What are they...?' She thought as Professor Hill began reminding them this would be the last time they'd have him as a professor. Emma had come to like Herbology because it reminded her of a simpler time. Even Professor Hill wasn't the worst Professor in her mind. Perhaps she learned to like him or he just grew on her.

He encouraged them to come by for help which Emma made sure to keep in mind. For now she knew she was okay or at least as of last year she was. She'd have to see how the year went. Beginning to take notes on the plants, it was revealed to be a Puffapod. They sounded like they exploded into bloom which was different. When instructed to plant a pod, Emma was nervous but knew if she was gentle enough it would be just fine.

Getting a pod, Emma took a breath before digging a hole for the pod. Judging the size it looked good for the plant when it bloomed. Gently taking the pod, the Hufflepuff placed the pod into the hole before covering it up. It took patience and a bit of time but she eventually got it into the ground with out blowing up in her face.

With: Class...

Wearing: Hufflepuff Uniform

OOC: ---

Somewhere you'll fit in huh?
                                              A loyal friend like you?
                                              I think you'll have no trouble fitting in here!
                                              Hufflepuff!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:18 pm
User Image
Siobhan'Hannah'Grey
HufflepuffThird YearThirteen Years OldSingle

'Either Linny's right about this guy, or he's started to grow on me, but I almost regret this will be my last year with Professor Hill,' thought Hannah, as she started taking notes on the project set before them. She was familiar with Puffapods, of course; Mother Grey had a bunch of them in her garden, which had seen a sizable expansion to accommodate all the plants she rescued from Linny's house before the sale of it was finalized. Hannah figured she'd be smart and follow Emma's lead, and be very gentle with the pod she was planting, as she didn't want it to explode before she could complete the work, and have to start all over.

When she collected her pod, Hannah treated it as though she were handling a live grenade, being slow and careful in her movement. After digging a hole in the soil which she judged large and deep enough, she lowered it into the soil gently, before carefully covering it with soil. Hannah didn't relax until she was certain the pod was safely interred and wouldn't explode.

User ImageUser ImageUser Image

OOC:
Username

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:53 pm
User Image

User Image
                                                      ════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Jason crossed his arms as he leaned up against the table behind him, waiting for students to file into the classroom. On the table, as well as other tables in the classroom, was a pot with a plant inside. The plant had several leaves shooting up from its base, while a couple of black stems grew from its base, a white flower crowning each. The plant itself was with several others of its kind in the pot, and looked to be thriving.

As the last of the students filed in., Jason gave his customary wave of his wand and the doors closed and locked behind them. He then stood straight as he observed the class.
                                                      "Welcome back to class. Last lesson we did a unit on Puffapods, while this lesson we will focus on another plant with magical properties. More specifically, very powerful magical properties that involve removing dark enchantments. Ironically, this plant is found in muggle mythology as something that helped an ancient Greek hero overcome a dark witch's enchantments. I am of course referring to the tale of Odysseus and his encounter with Circe, and the plant known as Moly. This plant was lost to muggle knowledge, however that is due more to the efforts of hiding its existence since the Statute of Secrecy was put into place.

"Moly is a plant that when you've consumed its flower, counteracts a wide variety of enchantments. This ability makes it invaluable in not only treating people afflicted, but also in potion making. It is useful in numerous potions, most notably in the Wiggenweld potion. Its bulb and leaves are completely useless, however the stems and flowers of the plant are used. Because of its versatility, it is highly valuable."

The werewolf gestured to the plants before the students. "For your assignment today, we are going to trim, separate, and repot these molys. As always, two to a pot. You are to trim the flowers and stems off of these plants, and then come up here for a few pots. Then your task is to separate the plants into their own pots and fertilize them. Please also look at the condition and size of each moly you handle. If it seems sickly, please separate it from the others and place it off to the side for me to care for. ANy immature plants, as in, small and without their flowers and stems are to remain in the first pot to be allowed to mature. If you do not know how to do this simple task, then you have not been paying attention to class. You will please refrain from touching the plants and instead observe the other students doing their tasks." He then settled back to observe the class, on occasion standing and walking amongst the students as they worked.

════════════════════════
                                                      Thinking: There shouldn't be incompetents in this class...
                                                      OOC:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:29 am
User Image
User Image

Liam settled in at table near the front of the class room, getting excited when he saw all of the pots scattered about the classroom. He knew exactly what was growing in each of them, and slipped into his dragon hid gloves as Professor Hill gave instructions, eager to test his abilities. As soon as they were free to start working, he picked up one of two small pairs of clippers next to the large pot filled with moly. Carefully sifting through the blooming flowers, the Ravenclaw slowly clipped several of them off from the bottom of the stem, making a neat pile of them on the table, yet making sure to leave plenty of room for anyone who was interested in sharing the same plant.

After trimming the plant at his table, he collected a couple more pots from the front of the classroom and began to sort the moly into new homes. It was an easy task, but nevertheless, Liam was cautious as he spread fertilizer into each of the pots, making sure the dirt was level. He had not planned on enjoying Herbology as much as he had since arriving at Hogwarts, but the glow in his pale blue eyes could easily be observed by any observant onlooker.

User Image

Porcelaine Ivory

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:05 pm
~ New Year ~

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:08 pm
User Image

User Image
                                                      ════════════════════════

════════════════════════

════════════════════════
                                                      OOC:

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:58 pm
Raymond Ara Yuko
Third Year Slytherin
Pureblood Parselmouth
Reserve Chaser

User Image User Image

Raymond never had any real problem with Professor Hill. Do what you were told and do things right, everything would work out fine. Though just because he didn’t have any real problems with him, didn’t mean that he liked him. This would be his last year with Professor Hill, so it was at least something to look forward too. Raymond hadn’t even thought about the Hogsmeade trips. A small smile appeared on his face at the thought. However he was still in class and needed to focus.

As Professor Hill moved onto the lecture, Raymond took his notes and started jotting down things he needed to know about the plant. Puffapods didn’t seem all that interesting to him, however it was a required plant to learn about. Getting his task, the Slytherin groaned knowing moving the pod to bury it without it exploding would be as Professor Hill said tricky. Making a hole for the pod, Raymond looked at the pod then looked back at the hole. ‘Please be big enough…’ He thought before taking the pod in gloved hands. Very gently and ever so slowly, he worked to put the pod in the hole. Taking slow breaths he placed it in the hole before removing his hands. With a relieved sigh he was happy it fit, not to mention didn’t go off. Burying the pod in the pot he was just glad he didn’t screw that up.

With: Class…

Wearing: Slytherin Uniform

OOC: ---

Hrm, rather intelligent, I see...
                                    Not to mention you seem to have a tendency to think of yourself first...
                                    I do believe this house is the perfect fit for you...
                                    Slytherin!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:24 pm
User Image
                                                    This is a black, black ski mask song
                                                    So put all of your anger on
                                                    In the truly gruesome do we trust
                                                    I will always land on you like a sucker punch

User Image
                                                    ════════════════════════

Tʜɪʀᴅ Yᴇᴀʀ || Sʟʏᴛʜᴇʀɪɴ || Bᴇᴀᴛᴇʀ

════════════════════════

Leon entered the class and took a seat, watching the professor just as much as the man was watching the class. Leon thought he was a grade A arse, and seriously needed to cool it, but then again, he knew that most people probably thought that about him, too. He got out his pen and pencil and started jotting down notes, snorting when he was advertising his shop. He wasn't visiting the shop, that was for sure. When it came time for him to plant the puffapod, Leon stared at it for a while, thinking this was completely barmy. However, he grabbed a hand shovel and dug out a hole, measuring out the pod with his shovel to gauge the size. When he finished, he picked up the pod gently and lay it down in the hole before covering it with the soil. When he finished, he looked it over and shook his head. Vaguely he wondered if people thought he was going to bungle the whole thing up, but Leon wasn't that bad. Now, if it had been a more problematic plant, he might have been tempted to throw it across the room.

════════════════════════

Thinking: Tha' wasn' too bad, really...
                                                    OOC:

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

I’m just a problem that doesn’t want to be solved
                                                    So could you please hold your applause
                                                    Take this sideshow and all its freaks
                                                    And turn it into the silver screen dream

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:37 am
I'm building an empire, I'm building it with all I know...
Starting from scratch, it began with stones!
I'm building with my body and soul-
So little time and so much to do...
I must say this is as good as it gets;
So why are you wasting-
Your blood, your sweat, your tears...

User Image
D I A N T H A
S I Â N
W A R L O W

ravenclaw chaser │ third year │ halfblood

Di did not like Hill, but she respected him enough to try her best in his class, even if she was not a fan of plants or their care. Perhaps Professor Thorne would be better next year. She managed to plant her pod before it bloomed, but was holding her breath the entire time and felt a bit lightheaded when she was finally done. The stuffiness of the greenhouse didn't help matters. Why did he insist on having the door closed and locked, no matter what? It was perfectly nice weather outside, and she doubted anyone was trying to get in this class who was not already trapped here.

OOC:
Username

I'm building with the stars in mind!
I'm building an empire-
That's one day gonna scrape the sky!
I'm building an empire-
That's led by my heart to know my home...
I'm building an empire-
And now I'm never gonna look back.

Third Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas