27%
 27%  [ 10 ]
maligning
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
and offending others!
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
oh ok, and sometimes complimenting too..
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
but insults are more FUN
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
a safe gold option too..
37%
 37%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 37

Rhiannon2006

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:24 pm
Those are good ones, lev!

I heard a couple of interesting ones this week at school - "goll-dern" which was substituted for the more common "GD" term and "slap-dash" which was used to describe a quick and poorly done project (I've heard this term before but not in a very long time). smile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:03 pm
Thanks for reminding me, Rhiannon!

Euphamisms are great! I like Dickens.

"You scared the dickens" out of me is a great way to kick your brain into gear while you're thinking of something nasty to do to someone who just... uh... frightened the Willies out of you or gave you the Shakes.

It's amazing we have so many English Lit. 101 authors in us, really.

No one has ever scared the Marlowe out of me or the Trollopes, for that matter, but I bet Umberella's gonna try now that I've mentioned it.

Getting the Hornung scared out of me might be worthwhile, but probably not the Doyles. I was always a bigger fan of Raffles than Holmes, anyway.  

Harbone
Crew

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:31 pm
Well then, I'm just gonna take my marbles and go home...
Wait, I lost my marbles...

Do kids still play marbles these days? I only played this game with my siblings, and only when they were bored and would "loan" me some to lose to them.

For the whiners, one of my favorites snaps: "Aw, my heart bleeds chunky peanut butter for ya."

And the ones who've done something incredibly stupid: "What're ya gonna do for an encore, gargle chunky peanut butter?"

Yes, seems to be a bit of a PB thing going on...

No Jack, not that PB&V thing you've got going on... eek  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:21 am
If you think someone's complaining is whiny & annoying:
(Rubbing indexfinger & thumb together in a circular motion)--
"This is the world's smallest violin, and it's playing JUST for you."
mrgreen  

Eirwyn

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:43 pm
How about "skank" or "skanky?"

It was my favorite word, for a while, back when I was still dating (mid 90s at the latest, really) to describe an attractive woman who seemed expensively unwholesome, as opposed to enticingly wicked. It was a fine line, but an alarming one too see crossed. Especially since it always caught me off guard to see such a sight and the woman whom I described with this very unflattering expression invariably misread my gaze and asked me to buy them a drink. It was a times like that I was very glad to be poor (although it was still humiliating!)

It also sort of expressed the opinon that someone had sacrificed a little too much for beauty. Like someone who had tried to be thin so desperately that they looked skeletal or someone who had had so many nose jobs their face was little more than two taught, tiny nostrils (a bit like an angry tiki carving, really.) I don't know what it meant in other parts of the world, but I've heard skank used in a lot of contexts.

I don't think it originally meant what my little crowd in Portland, OR ended up using it to mean.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:17 am
Eirwyn
If you think someone's complaining is whiny & annoying:
(Rubbing indexfinger & thumb together in a circular motion)--
"This is the world's smallest violin, and it's playing JUST for you."
mrgreen

Just a little twist on this one: (Rubbing index finger & thumb together in a circular motion)--
"This is the world's smallest violin, and it's playing "My heart bleeds for you."

This one, which means you're pretty dumb " You don't know your a** from a hole in the ground!"

This one, why you're a dummy: "When God was handing out brains, you thought he said trains & said yes, I'll have 2!"

How about that one: "more then you can shake a stick at", I think that was it~

Misty Marina

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:28 pm
Geez Louise, I'd plumb forgotten about this thread xd  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:27 am
Can't think of any right off the top of my head.... will have to get back to ya on that! But usually if I want to REALLY insult someone, I'll cork off in Klingon! That REALLY gets them! And there's less chance that someone overhearing will understand whattheheck I said!  

Venuslady

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:45 pm
Klingon ~ lol... that's what I used to call my ex... though in his case it would be spelled Cling On ~ cuddling is one thing, having someone need to be holding your hand, or hugging you 24/7 is quite another. xp  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:03 am
Gambitpoet
One of my favorite sayings of late is the "metric assload." Because everyone can have the huge pile of stuff, but to make it metric gives it a little bit of fun weight.

"Meteric assload" blaugh I gotta remember THAT one!  

Venuslady

Veddhartha

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:28 am
Whachamacallit? We use it here too and I love it. Actually, Finns use English terms quite often. Last time I heard someone say "So what(whot)" it was at kinder garden by a teacher raising her shoulders to a children who were arguing over somethin insignificant.

Insultmonger. Check that website. biggrin There is loads and loads of curses and cusses. I use it regularly when playing rp's (Finnish chronicle). It's a cliché movie thing to make someone sound more foreign but helps as a reminder. And cursing is spontaneous.

"Pata kattilaa soimaa - yhtä musta kumpainenkin." - Same as the pot calling the kettle black. But we use just the first part - the pot cursing the kettle (- each as black as other). To phase it fully is more of a little poem.

"Nakit silmillä" - To have sausages on eyes. Refering to someone with hangoverish red eyes. Also, "Silimät ku särjellä/silmät kuin särjellä" - Eyes like roaches. First version is how I say it with my dialect, other is literary language.

"Mitä sanoit syöneesi?" - What did you say you ate? When mishearing or not being able to hear properly what someone just muffled. Usually, this question causes long blank stares and 'huh?!' sounds. Very effective way to tell someone that I didn't understand a sh*t.

Rhiannon said goll-dern, in Finland we say that something was done pissing while running. (Juosten kustu) Or 'It is pissing on my legs'. (Kusee kintuille) And the term for pissing isn't actually the prettiest one available.

"Voi kyynel." Sarcastically to a whiner. To add effect, you can show with your finger how the tear falls down on your cheek. "Oh, tear." My twins mate made it better, when I fought to get some heavy object up. "Hairy tear. Now get it up I know you can." It helped.

"Voi helvetin kuustoista" was a curse I understood when I learned some Swedish. "Sixteen of Hell" - Sjutton också! Though 'sjutton' is mild curse in Swedish and isn't sixteen, but seventeen. There has been a slight phonetic modification when curse has jumped over the Gulf.

Disclaimer: next one is rude. I learned it from my dad. mrgreen
"Vittujen kevät ja kyrpien keskitalvi." - ********! Lit. spring of pussies and midwinter of cocks! We say more often 'takatalvi', return of winter.

As a note, Finns curse casually a lot. I've come to understand that those curses that are normal and mild to us are quite rude at least in US. That's why I warn from time to time of how I may speak.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:49 pm
Pissing while running... that's sounds almost as good as "go piss up a rope" which I tend to use if I really have need to tell someone where to go... anyone not getting that ought to go try it and see what happens... twisted  

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100

MotherMoo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:51 pm
I once had an older woman riding to work with me, her favorite saying was..

"Farting in the wind"

as in... He wasting his time, he may as well be farting in the wind.

another one...

"Don't amount to a hill of beans"  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:22 pm
here is a line typical in Oklahoma:
"Can I have a coke?"
"Sure, what kind?"
"Sprite please"

COke is general term for soda  

Creepy Clown Town

Gaian Geezers Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items