Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply First Year Classes
History of Magic I (1/4) *New Class 2/10* Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... 52 53 54 55 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tamoketh

Loyal Gatekeeper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:01 am
Tobias Ledford
YEAR: first :: HOUSE:
Hufflepuff
(You can click the picture to view his profile)
User Image
Tobias had walked into class and sat down at an empty desk near MJ. History of Magic would be one of the classes that Tobias would probably have mixed feelings about. He loved learning about things and getting details, but when it came to history it would all depend on what the subject would be. When the professor talked about the witch burning Tobias silently nodded his head. It's true that if muggles weren't so afraid of things they didn't understand or powers they didn't wield, they wouldn't be so hostile towards those that could use magic. On the other hand, Tobias understood their feelings, especially at the next subject that the professor mentioned. Tobias would have been just like the muggles had he encountered some of the strong of evil people during that crisis: afraid. When the professor asked why history was important to be learned, Tobias listened to the answers of the other students before offering his own.
"As already said, it's good to learn from past mistakes to not repeat them. I think history is important to learn because it also helps us understand how our actions can affect the future." Tobias said when no one else was offering any answers. <I wonder if that sounded stupid or not... that's part of my own history that I should try to not repeat.> He thought to himself regarding what he had answered. He knew that his answer was basically just another way to say exactly what all the others had said already, but everyone had the same idea. History is important to know since it's knowledge and understanding, both things that he enjoyed learning in the present, so why not about the past?

((OoC))
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:59 pm
User Image

Nicole Lyra "Nike" Lovette

First YearPurebloodSlytherinSecond-born

I’m like a scarf trick, it’s all up the sleeve
                      I taste like magic, waves that swallow quick and deep
                      Throw the bait, catch the shark, bleed the water red
                      Fifty words for murder and I’m every one of them

███ ▌██ █ ▌██ █ ▌██ █ ▌█ ██ ▌███ ▌

Nike felt like the lunch wasn't worth it for the class after that period, which was History class. She didn't like that class because it was just... so boring and full of memorization. Also, she already read the book and already knew Wizarding History since she was being homeschooled, probably just to be a proper Ravenclaw. If that was the case, too bad for the family. Besides, the only people who should know about these histories were the, obviously, wizards who were new to this society as well as those bratty wizards who thought that they're history was so good, because it never was. Come on, haven't you all heard of Voldemort? She hated it when those kids just believe whatever their parents (like hers) told them it was just so ridiculous, ugh!

She sat down beside her housemate Caty, not bringing out anything at all from her bag. She was sitting with her legs crossed and she was leaning towards the table with her chin sitting lazily on her palm. The professor, who introduced himself as Professor Powell, was discussing the basic definition of History and all that history stuffs. Finally, he asked about why history needs to be learned. She raised her hand but apparently, Caty got the attention first, which Nike see it as no big deal. Her classmates answer was sensible compared to the other who were, like, rephrasing one broad answer in her perspective. When Nike finally got the professor's attention from her raised hand she answered, "Simple. It was because history made us know how to make the Wizarding World much better. I mean, people make history, and history shapes the minds of people Then the girl shrugged her shoulders, "But saaaadly, some people that I know say that the Wizarding ways are "dying" " She noted the last word with a quote-on-quote gesture and a dramatic tone, "But seriously, our ways are just evolving. People should really come out from their rocks because it's already the Twenty-First century already," Nike might or might not be overthinking things again that might be the cause of her rambling, but whatever, she was just stating her answer.

███ ▌██ █ ▌██ █ ▌██ █ ▌█ ██ ▌███ ▌

My touch is black and poisonous
And nothing like my punch-drunk kiss
I know you need it, do you feel it?
Drink the water, drink the wine

5' 4 ft119 lbs11 Years Old

User ImageUser Image

Thinking : "I. Hate. History"
With : Professor Powell and students
Attire : Looking shrewd

Yukina101

Julian Galaksylph

Festive Stylist

10,225 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:11 am
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

Hɪsᴛᴏʀʏ ᴏғ Mᴀɢɪᴄ || Rᴀᴠᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ Pʀᴏғᴇssᴏʀ || Sᴛᴜᴅʏ ᴏғ Aɴᴄɪᴇɴᴛ Rᴜɴᴇs

════════════════════════

Grayson walked into the classroom, eyes examining the room as he steps up to the board to write something in large letters before placing the chalk down and standing before the class.

Professor Powell
                                            History Of Hogwarts

"Hello class, and welcome back. Today, we're going to go over the history of Hogwarts."

"Hogwarts was founded in the ninth to tenth century by its founders, Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin. They came together to build the school due to increased suspicion of muggles and magic, and wanted to teach students without fear of prosecution. However, not all of them agreed on which students should be accepted into the school. Salazar Slytherin wanted to only admit purebloods, which was at odds with the other founders. He left the school, and never returned.

"Hogwarts was one of the finest institutes for magical learning by the thirteenth century, and together with Durmstrang and Beauxbatons, started the Triwizard Tournament. However, due to injuries and deaths resulting from the tournament, it was disbanded six centuries after it started. There have been many attempts to reinstate it, but none have been successful.

"More recently, the school has been the site for many different incidents in the last century. It was here that Voldemort learned his magic, and here that Harry Potter defeated him in the Battle for Hogwarts. It has also been the site for the most recent attempt for the Triwizard Tournament, and obviously remains a major school for magic today."

He looked about the class. "Now I know that some of you may have questions, so don't hesitate to ask. I would be happy to answer them to the best of my ability."

════════════════════════
                                            Location: History of Magic classroom
                                            Thinking: New year, new faces...
                                            Taken by: Amata Harlowe
                                            OOC:

Now where did I put that wand?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:05 pm
Raymond Ara Yuko
First Year Slytherin
Pureblood

User Image User Image
                                                  Location : History - Monday @ 1:00pm

Raymond took a seat in history with parchment in front of him and quill in hand. Looking to the front of the room, he knew very little about the school despite being a pure blood. Honestly his mother never talked about it much. In fact his mother didn’t talk about anything magic related despite being part of it. They lived life like muggles practically which was degrading to some, however she was a potioneer so magic wasn’t completely out of the picture. Sure magic was still very much a part of their lives but that didn’t mean he knew everything.

Listening to Professor Powell, Raymond found the school’s history interesting to say the least. Though he imagined that live would be more interesting if the Triwizard Tournament still existed. However he knew that it would never happen. Thinking about the school he wondered if the sorting hat took blood purity into account. Somehow he doubted it. Raising his hand Raymond decided to ask. “If Salazar Slytherin only wanted to admit purebloods, does the sorting hat take that into account when sorting students to Slytherin or is it just on the traits of a person?”

With: Class...

Wearing: Slytherin Uniform

OOC: ---

Diamond Wales

Hrm, rather intelligent, I see...
                                                  Not to mention you seem to have a tendency to think of yourself first...
                                                  I do believe this house is the perfect fit for you...
                                                  Slytherin!

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:31 pm
I'm gonna be released from behind these lines...
And I don't care whether I live or die.
And I'm losing blood, I'm gonna leave my bones-
And I don't want your heart; it leaves me cold.
I don't want your future; I don't need your past!
One bright moment is all I ask!
I'm gonna leave my body; moving up to higher ground...
I'm gonna lose my mind; history keeps pulling me down!

User Image
D I A N T H A
S I Â N
W A R L O W

ravenclaw │ first year │ halfblood

Di would rather they not have started with the school itself- she liked things linear, couldn't they start with the first known instances of magic? But she supposed you couldn't be too picky. The class only met once a week, after all. They didn't have as much time as they did in muggle schools. She knew all about the founders, or, well, at least their names and what they'd stood for. Di had no grudge with Slytherins; her taid had been one, and her uncles, her father's older brothers, Rodric and Edwyn, were former Slytherins as well. Besides her aunt Amelia, her mother's young sister, had been a Slytherin, and her husband too. Her father's parents were old fashioned. They'd arranged her parents's marriage for money, not blood, and they were polite, if not warm, to her muggleborn stepmother, but she knew they had not been happy at all when Edwyn married a muggle. Still, she thought they had gotten over it at least mostly by now, and they loved little Ramsey, the product of a pureblood Slytherin and a muggle woman .

OOC:
Username

I don't need a husband, don't need no wife...
And I don't need the day, I don't need the night!
And I don't need the birds, let them fly away-
And I don't want the clouds, they never seem to stay.
I don't want no future; I don't need no past!
One bright moment is all I ask!
I'm gonna leave my body; moving up to higher ground...
I'm gonna lose my mind; history keeps pulling me down!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:51 pm
~New Year~

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:08 pm
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

Hɪsᴛᴏʀʏ ᴏғ Mᴀɢɪᴄ || Rᴀᴠᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ Pʀᴏғᴇssᴏʀ || Sᴛᴜᴅʏ ᴏғ Aɴᴄɪᴇɴᴛ Rᴜɴᴇs

════════════════════════

Grayson looked up from his book as he noticed the students coming in. He didn't know how long he had been sitting reading, but the effect was always the same. Usually it would end with him being confused about what was going on, but today was different. He was supposed to be teaching the class, and as usual, it left him a bit awkward as to how to go about it. He however decided to go about doing it the simple way.

"Hello, class, and welcome to History of Magic. I am your professor, Grayson Powell. In this class, there is no wandwork, since magic doesn't help you to learn about history. Therefore, your wands will need to be put away." He stood, taking his feet from off the desk and faced the children directly. "History is a collection of events, as I'm sure you are all well aware of. However, these events help to shape the world around us. If not for the witch burnings of the sixteen hundreds, we would not have the Statue of Secrecy. If not for the crises of the last century, we would not have cooperation of all magical folk." He glanced around the class, letting his gaze fall over each of the students. "Now, can someone tell me, besides what I have stated, why history needs to be learned?"

════════════════════════
                                            Location: History of Magic classroom
                                            Thinking: New year, new faces...
                                            Taken by: Amata Harlowe
                                            OOC:

Now where did I put that wand?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:13 pm
User ImageUser ImageUser Image

-YEAR // First
    -AGE // 11
    -APPAREL // Schooling Robes and his ever present cowlick at the back of his head.
    -ITEMS // Magical Wristwatch and schoolbag.
    -COMPANY // History of Magic Peers and Professor
    -RELATIONSHIP // School Friends
    -THINKING // "I could answer this with my tongue tied!"
    -FEELING // Confident
    -LOCATION // History of magic classroom

══════════════════════════════════════════

XXXBenjamin sat at the front of the class, knowing full well that he would get too distracted if he was in the back and did not have anything to do but listen to the professor. He set his bag on the ground beside him and readied his parchment, quill and wand on the desk respectfully. He noticed that the professor seemed to be relaxed, and not too stern, so his spirits rose and he thought that it might be a rather easy class. His spirits came back down however, when he had to stow his wand away.
      When the professor welcomed them all in at at last, he daydreamed about the moments in history that were being talked about, and barely heard it when the class was asked to answer why history had to be learned. At the question, Benny got a bright idea and his hand shot up into the air and wasted no time in answering.

"Well Professor, it's just as the muggle saying goes, 'Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.' And if we can remember it, then we can better our futures." He smiled brightly, thinking that it was a stoke of luck that he had conjured up that quote from his brain. He had read it somewhere in a tabloid while on an outing with his parents around London; and while he was looking at the professor, his mind was now miles away back to those memories.

((OOC:_))

Diamond Wales

User Image

Scurd_Tito

Familiar Seeker

Mephis Inferni

Hilarious Smoker

4,975 Points
      • Money Never Sleeps 200
      • Tycoon 200
      • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
      PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:08 pm
      User Image
                                                                    They're gonna 𝔠𝔩𝔢𝔞𝔫 𝔲𝔭 your looks
                                                                    With all the 𝔩𝔦𝔢𝔰 in the books
                                                                    To make a 𝔠𝔦𝔱𝔦𝔷𝔢𝔫 out of you

┏━━━━━━━━━┓
                                                                    Where? History of Magic
                                                                    Who? Other First Year students.
                                                                    Thoughts?This will be the easiest class for me...

┗━━━━━━━━━┛

xxx

Jack was sitting calmly towards the front of the room, listening to what his fellow student had said. He nodded, raising his hand for acknowledgement. "Professor my name is James Rich, of Slytherin House. I'd just like to add something. As well as what my classmate had said, not only to understand what mistakes can be avoided to enrich our future, studying history is also fundamental to the improvement of our lives through creation of new magic based on old practices or ideas. History is more than just lessons, it gives insight to what our ancestors thought and felt at one point or another and reveals many wonders beyond what we can simply see."

It was an answer that would make his father proud, seeing as History of Magic was fundamental in Magical Law Enforcement's direct history and there was much to learn. Jack should know, he's read a handful of his father's law texts. For the most part, they were rather dull. However on a rare occasion, one would stand out as supremely interesting.
                                                                    ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
                                                                    OOC:

Quote:

Quote:

Because they 𝔰𝔩𝔢𝔢𝔭 with a gun
                                                                    And keep an 𝔢𝑦𝔢 on you, son
                                                                    So they can 𝔴𝔞𝔱𝔠𝔥 all the things you do

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:39 am
      User Image
      Fianna Grey
      Gryffindor First Year Eleven Years OldSingle

Fianna was actually looking forward to history class, as she enjoyed reading stories, and often wondered how things came to be. She arrived for this class with a lot less trepidation than she did for Herbology; if nothing else the professor didn't look like a cannibal.

Fianna raised her hand, and offered as an answer, "Because people whom don't study their history have no past and have no future, professor."

OOC:
      Username

User Image
                      Turn your magic on, to me she'd say
                      "Everything you wants a dream away
                      We are legends, every day"
                      That's what she told me

Turn your magic on, to me she'd say
                      "Everything you wants a dream away
                      Under this pressure, under this weight
                      We are diamonds"

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
      • Gaian 50
      • Dressed Up 200
      • Statustician 100

Yukina101
      Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
      • Vocalizing Hisser 25
      • Hellraiser 500
      • Friend of the Goat 100
      PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:45 pm
      I'm supposed to be the soldier who never blows his composure
      Even though I hold the weight of the whole world on my shoulders
      I ain't never supposed to show it, my crew ain't supposed to know it
      Even if it means goin' toe to toe with a Benzino it don't matter
      I'd never drag them in battles that I can handle unless I absolutely have to
      I'm supposed to set an example
      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXUser ImageUser Image
      | Muggleborn | Slytherin First Year

Wren walked into the classroom seeing a bunch of students were already there and made sure to take a seat off to the side away from all of them. Every since the first night when he'd nearly been suffocated by people he'd made sure to make it known how he did not want any company. He listened to the professor give his spiel rolling his eyes as he started speaking about their history and whatnot and propped up his head on his hand trying to stave off the boredom. He didn't offer his own opinion because it was voluntary and he sure as hell wasn't volunteering and he didn't offer up his name since the guy hadn't asked. The guy had looked half asleep when he came in, maybe he just forgot to ask. Fine by him.
      Quote:

Step by step, heart to heart, left right left
      We all fall down like toy soldiers
      Bit by bit, torn apart, we never win
      But the battle wages on for toy soldiers

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:49 pm

User Image

User Image
                                  first year x ;; ravenclaw x ;; muggleborn x ;; beater xx

History was, by far, the easiest class for Fay, because there was no "trick" to it. Just read the book and pray you remember which date which wizard pooped and conjured a sentient turd (at this point, everything was a possibility). Honestly, the first year didn't have a high opinion of this subject, because it was essentially glorified literature based on real events.

"Do humans truly learn from history? I don't know about you, but history has repeated itself over and over despite being forced to learn hundreds of pages worth of dates. Sociology may be a better subject to teach people how to not kill one another for useless reasons." This was, of course, drawing from events of the muggle world.

"If history is so important, why aren't historians running the government?"

oocx ;; { these are fighting words }

Quote:

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
      • Megathread 100
      • Grunny Harvester 150
      • Object of Affection 150

Mephis Inferni

Hilarious Smoker

4,975 Points
      • Money Never Sleeps 200
      • Tycoon 200
      • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
      PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:07 pm
      User Image
                                                                    They're gonna 𝔠𝔩𝔢𝔞𝔫 𝔲𝔭 your looks
                                                                    With all the 𝔩𝔦𝔢𝔰 in the books
                                                                    To make a 𝔠𝔦𝔱𝔦𝔷𝔢𝔫 out of you

┏━━━━━━━━━┓
                                                                    Where? History of Magic
                                                                    Who? Other First Year students.
                                                                    Thoughts?This will be the easiest class for me...

┗━━━━━━━━━┛

xxx

Jack's eyes narrowed at the new speaker, a fellow first year. "Is that what you believe? Many of the witches and wizards in charge are well versed in history, it's incredibly important to many families in the wizarding world. Not only for the records of blood status, but many of our laws are evolved from the old practices, banning out the historically bad arts and spells, and protecting the muggles that once harassed us for centuries." He took a breath, his voice staying as even as he could manage. "Not to say that wizards didn't have their fair share in the harassment, nor still don't, but it's much better than it ever was in the past."

He looked around the class, seeing many pairs of eyes settled upon him. "Perhaps pockets of people have difficulty changing their ways and many of the ignorant ignore the teachings that history can give. And whatever this sociology that you're talking about is, it sure sounds like an offshoot of history to me. There are far less violent crimes today than there were decades ago. He was rambling, he had to finish up his thoughts quickly.

Wizard history doesn't often repeat itself, when compared to that of the muggles history. Our beginnings were wars waged for conquest and dominance, now our wars are much less actual wars than fighting against what muggles call terrorism."
                                                                    ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
                                                                    OOC:

Quote:

Quote:

Because they 𝔰𝔩𝔢𝔢𝔭 with a gun
                                                                    And keep an 𝔢𝑦𝔢 on you, son
                                                                    So they can 𝔴𝔞𝔱𝔠𝔥 all the things you do

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:43 am

User Image

User Image
                                  first year x ;; ravenclaw x ;; muggleborn x ;; beater xx

Fay may have opened his mouth too soon. However, as opinionated as he was, keeping quiet wasn't exactly his style.

"You don't need history to know what is good and what is bad. 'Does this hurt others?' Yes? Then don't do it: It's that simple. 'Can this spell be used to harm others?' Yes? 'Does it have protective quality to it?" No? Then don't allow the use of that spell. Add in some exceptions and you have a pretty solid law." Fay was, of course, drawing from weaponry laws.

"Keeping history for blood status' sake, I don't see the merit in that. If you're familiar with European history, there is this thing called 'World War II', during which people were murdered based on 'blood purity'. The concept of blood status in the wizarding world is giving me giant, ugly vibes here. I just know that one day, someone similar to Hitler would show up and wage war against the 'impure'." If Fay knew anything about wizarding history, he'd know that he just described Voldermort. If he knew about the neo-Death Eaters, his argument would be much more compelling.

"Sociology is rooted in science and human interactions, thank you very much. Just by reading the title of each chapter in our textbook, I see this thing called 'First Wizarding War' and 'Second Wizarding War', and many other wars. You were saying about history not repeating itself?" In his mind, it wasn't anything different than World War I and II.

oocx ;; { FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT }

Mephis Inferni

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
      • Megathread 100
      • Grunny Harvester 150
      • Object of Affection 150

Scurd_Tito

Familiar Seeker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:35 pm
      User ImageUser ImageUser Image

-YEAR // First
        -AGE // 11
        -APPAREL // Schooling Robes and his ever present cowlick at the back of his head.
        -ITEMS // Magical Wristwatch and schoolbag.
        -COMPANY // History of Magic Peers and Professor
        -RELATIONSHIP // School Friends
        -THINKING // "Who could not think that history is important?"
        -FEELING // Confident
        -LOCATION // History of magic classroom

XXXBenjamin turned in his seat, and listened to James, a fellow first year that he had seen around, and a ravenclaw student, that he had yet to see before, canter on about the importance of history versus something called sociology. What that latter word meant, he had no idea; but he deduced from the context that it had to do something with morals.

"Yes I was talking about it thank you, and I still stand by it." He said matter-of-factly, with a his eyebrows faintly starting to knit together. "But that's not the issue, the issue is that some people don't have morals to abide by the laws that are already in place. But history is still important for keeping track of what has already been done, and what still needs to be done." He paused and looked back to the professor quickly, and then continued.
          Take for example Barnabas the Barmy's foolish attempt to train trolls for a ballet, we learned that they aren't capable of some things, and now we also know that they need to have better protective rights from stupid people that would die trying to conform them into something they are not. Maybe we still have a ways to go, but it's not like we haven't made advancements."

His cheeks flushed, and he doubted that anyone would take him seriously, especially when he had just quoted about Banabas, but it was one of his favorite stories. He thought about his father, and how he would tell him about protective rights about dragons and other dangerous creatures, and he should have led with that, but he thought about the troll story and figured that at least other students would know that. He then realized, with a quick widening of the eyes, that the Ravenclaw must be muggle born, talking so much about things from the muggling community. He opened his mouth to speak again, but then closed it, figuring that anything else that followed that last bout would be nothing but nonsense.

((OOC: DEBATE DEBATE DEBATE xD ))

Utsuha Moon

Mephis Inferni

User Image

First Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... 52 53 54 55 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
          Other Stuff
          Get GCash
          Offers
          Get Items
          More Items
          Where Everyone Hangs Out
          Other Community Areas
          Virtual Spaces
          Fun Stuff
          Gaia's Games
          Mini-Games