Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
young people! kindly explain yourselves!!! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kids these days...
  seriously, wtf?
  shut up, old people!
View Results

Officer Hot-Pants

Dedicated Lunatic

9,900 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:59 am
Not disciplining your children is not loveing them; far from it. BECAUSE you love them, you have to step up and spank that little a** when they roll around on the grocery store floor screaming at the top of their lungs because they want a cookie, or break their brother's toys because they can't have it themself. My father only ever spanked me three times, and it worked beyond the shadow of a doubt. I knew from an early age that everything you do has some sort of consequence, and when the consequence is bad, it is also often painful in some way. Now I'm not saying go beating them every time they fart or sneeze, or draw blood when you do it; not only is that abusive but it more than counteracts the point of disciplining them in the first place. But you certainly won't look poorly upon your parents when they do it for your own good (though you probably won't like 'em very much at the time wink ). I remember my father's eyes were a little misty when he'd discipline me, so it was obvious he wasn't just some a*****e whom got off on hurting me.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:33 am
If I did something REALLY wrong, I'd get spanked really hard. The toughest part of that was I had to count the number of hits aloud. Somehow, getting spanked hurts more when you're the one counting rather than your parents.

If I screamed at a grocery store just because I didn't get my favorite brand of cookies (which I rarely did, according to my parents), I would either get ignored, or my parents would yell at me in public and embarrass me.

If I rolled around in public for attention or just because we missed the toy aisle, my parents would leave me in the car the next time we went out.

If I broke my older brother or sister's toy because i didn't get it, I wouldn't get any new toys for a whole month. This would also include a nice, sound butt spanking.

If I licked my plate and had any other forms of bad table manners even behind closed doors, I'd get yelled at and get my meal taken away.

If I farted, burped, and drooled in public, I wouldn't get hit, but I'd still be pretty embarrassed when my father gives me his evil eye.

If I whined just because the toys and clothes I wore were hand-me-downs then my father would take out all the clothes and toys in my closet and ask me if I would prefer nothing.

If I tried to bite and scratch my older siblings because we got in a fight, ALL of us regardless of who was right or wrong had to get down on our knees and kneel with our arms up in the air (or we had to do 100 monkey jumps).

By all means, I wasn't neglected. As long as I behaved, I got all the food, clothes, and toys I could have ever dreamed of.

Why the hell do these spoiled little brats get it so much better than the rest of the generations? Forget all this crap, when I get my kids, they're being disciplined the same way I did.  

Alienor Kaze

Officer Hot-Pants

Dedicated Lunatic

9,900 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:41 am
Oh, I'm not advicating it as a fit-all punishment. I was just speaking generally. And I'm thinking more along the lines of those kids who just don't get it no matter what else you do.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:36 am
i dunno. i think it's like a cycle. teen pregnancies promote young parents, and young parents don't have a clue what they're doing, or really how to successfully raise a child. and then they influence their son or daughter, and it starts over again. i'm not saying this is how it always is, but it's becoming a trend. i have a friend, and all the women in her family had at least one kid by the time they were seventeen. she's turning eighteen now, and she's never had sex, so it's not like this is absolutely the way it is... but it's becoming more and more common.

i kinda think kids these days are just bored. i'm seventeen, so am i allowed to consider myself a kid? x]

i mean, really. video games, internet, and whatnot. plus, kids just want to fit in, right? so they do what celebrities do, and they do what other kids are doing. then there's the idea that kids just want to feel loved. i know that's more common with girls or whatever. but really, kids have a lot more to put up with these days than in the past. whether it's a lack of morals or just stupidity, it's spreading faster than the country can keep up with.

Aiden Valentino

Arianna Reece

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:47 am
I think it's more or less for the attention. People in today's society are so stressed out, I can understand how parents don't always give their kids the attention like the kids want. So doesn't it make sense that they'd find some other means to get attention?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:21 am
I know why all this crap happens.
Young people are stupider than older people now.  

FangzV

Toothsome Voter

HellzChelz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:10 pm
kaze no sakura
I put the blame on today's generation of parents. They spoil their children like no tomorrow. I mean, one time I was in the supermarket and this damn kid ran the shopping cart over my toes. Instead of having the child apologize, his mother turned and gave me a half-hearted "I'm sorry."

It's good to give your children love, but parents of today give way too much of it.

Here here,tis true  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:20 am
Arianna Reece
I think it's more or less for the attention. People in today's society are so stressed out, I can understand how parents don't always give their kids the attention like the kids want. So doesn't it make sense that they'd find some other means to get attention?

I don't think it's a problem of lacking attention. Kids these days have it so much easier than kids of the 1950s, 60s, 70s, and 80s. I know people who've lived apart from their parents due to wars and such and they turned out so much better than the children who have grown up with both their parents by their sides. Of course this doesn't always mean that all children who grow up with their parents around are always going to turn out ill mannered.

But still. Because children of today get too much attention from their parents they take their presence for granted and hence think they can do whatever the they see fit. The problem of giving children too much attention is particularly popular in Korea. Having grown up in such terrible conditions due to the Korean War, parents try their best to make their children's lives as comfortable as possible. Their children therefore grow up without knowing suffering or pain and thus do not know how to be grateful.

@ HellzChelz: I was half tempted to grab the kid by his front and tell him: "You're the one who ran over my toes, so you're the one that supposed to do the apologizing, not your mother, insignificant brat."  

Alienor Kaze

Officer Hot-Pants

Dedicated Lunatic

9,900 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:27 am
Sadly, that attention is often just one more thing that pushes people over the edge; Take a look at these people all the sad, pathetic leeches with cameras stalk; they start to slide into the pit when the camera flashes become too blinding for them to see the fall just ahead of them. I mean, c'mon; media essentially pokes and prods them in the direction they want them to go, then acts aghast at the very actions they knowingly and wantfully pushed them into. Now, we are all responsable for our own actions, but that does not take the blame off those who enable or even encourage it.  
General Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff