Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Game Masters Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: writing, stories, character, development, feedback 

Reply NaNoWriMo [And Other Contests]
National Novel Writing Month [Prize Inside] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gray_Card327

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:03 am
I'm doing it again this year :]
Ive' been doing it since 2007, but last year I lost my password and had to use a different account because the password wouldn't send. Here's my first account, which I have managed to get back.

I'd like to hear how it goes for everyone, and listen to the ideas we all have. :]  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:43 pm
I'm doing NaNoWriMo for the first time this year. I need to get my novel finished before then so I won't have conflicting projects. I probably won't finish, but hey, why not try?  

Lydia Blue

Bollicina

6,100 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:08 pm
I want to do this so badly...but no. Just no.
There would be no way I'd finish.
Maybe next year.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:54 pm
Choctease
Maybe next year.

I read alot of people who say that, and while finishing is amazing. (I've only managed it with Script Frenzy just this year, never with Nanowrimo itself yet), that's only half of it.

I just broke 25000 last year, but still just the feeling of getting that far in is great. Just the excitement of trying to get as many words down as possible, and the things that happen along the way, make it worth it even if you never think you'll finish.

My favorite haunts on Nano itself are Nano-isms and Dear Character. In the one you'll find some of the most hilarious typos, and "What was I trying to get across with this sentence??" you'll probably ever read. And in the other is where people rant, and occasionally rave, at the characters they're writing and what they aren't/are doing right. It just gives you a sense that others are going through all the same obstacles you are.

I'm not sure I'll ever reach 50K. I'm a slow writer, and I tend to handwrite and then type - which adds to my slowness. But it doesn't stop me from trying every year. And loving it every time. 3nodding  

Xiao Xianyu

4,550 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200

Bollicina

6,100 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:54 pm
Xiao Xianyu
Choctease
Maybe next year.

I read alot of people who say that, and while finishing is amazing. (I've only managed it with Script Frenzy just this year, never with Nanowrimo itself yet), that's only half of it.

I just broke 25000 last year, but still just the feeling of getting that far in is great. Just the excitement of trying to get as many words down as possible, and the things that happen along the way, make it worth it even if you never think you'll finish.

My favorite haunts on Nano itself are Nano-isms and Dear Character. In the one you'll find some of the most hilarious typos, and "What was I trying to get across with this sentence??" you'll probably ever read. And in the other is where people rant, and occasionally rave, at the characters they're writing and what they aren't/are doing right. It just gives you a sense that others are going through all the same obstacles you are.

I'm not sure I'll ever reach 50K. I'm a slow writer, and I tend to handwrite and then type - which adds to my slowness. But it doesn't stop me from trying every year. And loving it every time. 3nodding

I mean, I'm not sure whether it's the amount of words that would stop me, I think it's more the fact that I usually run face first into a writer's block when I'm seriously trying to write something. No matter how thought out it was before hand, I get crippled by this feeling I can't write anything.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:33 am
i'm intimidated by the legitimacy of it.
lmao.
= w=b
but you've got yourself a challenge
[i'm also worried that my ideas will be ripped off, but that comes w/ the territory]
i'll run back and edit this post once i log in from my laptop so that i won't mess anything up. = w=b

RARARARA

RHOBT Randy Stone

velvetsophisticate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:07 pm
so excited :]

everyone, add me :]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:49 pm
This should be fun . . My only challenge will be deciding which of my hundreds of novel ideas to write. Now, to figure out the site.  

Necrophiliac Nazi

6,250 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Scraps 2-point-0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:03 am
Added you as a buddy. My NaNo screenname is Scraps2Point0. 8DD I'm so excited.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:40 pm
Choctease

I mean, I'm not sure whether it's the amount of words that would stop me, I think it's more the fact that I usually run face first into a writer's block when I'm seriously trying to write something. No matter how thought out it was before hand, I get crippled by this feeling I can't write anything.

That's harsh. I have trouble finishing my works (though I've gotten better), and have a major issue with allowing myself to become distracted by other stories, but I only recall a few times I ran into major writing block. Ironically, one was Nanowrimo 2008. I think I got maybe 6K in, and then fizzled. I've never even picked the story back up again two years later. sweatdrop

I know there's always a zillion suggestions for overcoming writer's block. Everyone has there own solutions. The key is finding what's successful for you. I noticed you said that when you seriously try to write. But maybe don't view Nanowrimo as something serious. Just as a giant writing exercise. Like a very long prompt. Only, the word count is 50K instead of 100 words. LOL You might surprise yourself.  

Xiao Xianyu

4,550 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200

Demona McRae

Dangerous Prophet

5,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:04 pm
I've just officialy signed up, under the same user name, and I can't wait.

I even made my signature a shameless guild plug.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:18 pm
Please excuse me while I find a container for my excitement.

Okay, I'm back. Sorry it took so long, the lid didn't want to stay--*explode*-- oh, forget it.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait for it...

EE!!!!

Okay, I think I'm good for the rest of the post. Also, Eylios, I don't know where you want to put it, but it might be a fab idea to toss in a link to the NaNo FAQ page, like, everywhere. People keep asking the same questions, and we wouldn't want our forum to be cluttered up like that (cause heaven forbid it should look like the CB on a bad day).

But I'm so excited for this year. I'm all ready with my outline, my map, my sketches and skellies... it's gonna be awesome. Till about November 10th when I realize that school should prolly get done too...  

Andirigible

Spellbound Blasphemy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:58 pm
User Image
It's the story of my life.

GAH I'M SO NERVOUS!
I went on a whim and signed up. I did the whole "writing buddy" thing and everything, too!
Oh! Y'all can find me at
http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/654065
I've got to get a solid outline pounded out now. Fortunately, I have a couple of long flights coming up. Yays.
This is going to be fun, even if I don't finish! I shall tell everyone I know that's good at writing to do it, too.
(first timer here, by the way.)

I know who would want to take me home...
--Semisonic,
Closing Time

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:04 am
Oh, I thought NaNoWriMo was for September so I wasn't going to join, but since it's for November I most certainly will join in on the fun. I love writing and have several stories I want to continue on, and this might be a fun way to do just that. I'd better get some concepts up for criticism first though, huh?

Eylios: We could do some fundraising if you wanted. That might be fun. Get some funds for contest in the guild in general, and also to help pay for this. I can come up with some ideas.

Novasurge

Versatile Man-Lover

8,850 Points
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150

MadameDPomp

Greedy Lover

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:18 pm
we're writing buddies now : D  
NaNoWriMo [And Other Contests]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]