Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Third Year Classes
Alchemy I ~ (1/5) Open! (Introduction) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 15 16 17 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Porcelaine Ivory

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:01 pm
User Image
User Image

Tristain hurried into class, fearing she would be nearly tardy had she not ran the distance between this class and her last. Seating herself in the corner, she politely waited just a few moments before Professor Amorocho began his instruction for the day. The Ranenclaw was quite interested to be learning the counter spell for the spell they had been taught their last lesson, so she listened eagerly and wasted no time in stepping up to the teacher's desk.

With a smile that she tried to hide, Tristain slipped the pair of gloves onto her hands, the leather fitting rather loosely--clearly being made for a larger person. After retrieving her wand from the inside pocket of her robes, she reached for a rust spoon and set it right in front of her, her mind rushing over the wand movements and proper pronunciation. Inhaling a comforting breath of stale classroom air, the girl raised her wand, thrusted it in the direction of the spoon, zigged and zagged, then uttered,
"in-VET-er-A-tus!" in a powerful voice for such a small girl.

Right before her eyes, the brownish-orange rust receded from the spoon, its posture becoming more stable, though not necessarily any more shiny than before.
"Wow..." she whispered, rubbing one ivory finger along the handle. "Bet that would've came in handy while my dad was working on his mustang."

Her smile now burgeoning with the endless uses this spell could have in the real world, Tristain offered the professor her spoon and returned to her seat to gather her belongings.

User Image
"Love to faults is always blind, always is to joy inclined.
Lawless, winged, and unconfined, and breaks all chains from every mind."

- William Shakespeare
User Image

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:48 pm
RILEY J CREVAN

THIRD YEAR

RAVENCLAW

User Image

User Image
Riley entered the class room not sure what to expect of the class. She had missed the previous lessons and felt a bit lost. Perhaps she'd wait until the end to ask about when she could make them up. Approaching the professors desk she put on a pair of gloves and retrieved a rusted.....something. Riley couldn't really tell what it was. Taking out her wand she performed the correct spell movements. "in-VET-er-A-tus!" Some of the rust had went away but a majority of it still remained. Trying a second time she had managed to get rid of all the rust and it didn't look as fragile as before. Taking the item back to the desk she cautiously approached the professor. "Excuse me, Professor? I apologize for missing the other lessons but I was wondering if there would happen to be a suitable time for me to perhaps drop by your office and catch up on what I missed?" She asked the professor nervously.
User Image

User Image

Grim Vanity

Tipsy Lover

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:59 am
Professor of Alchemy
..............Ravenclaw
"The cycle of life only goes one direction,
not even alchemy can change that."

User Image
╔══════════════╗
╚══════════════╝

”Ah, yes, Miss—Crevan, correct?” The Hispanic professor paused to glance down at a sheet of parchment scrawled upon his desk depicting the roster of students he had for each of his classes. ”Yes, yes, anytime you can make it to my office is just fine, dear. A bit of introductions and a simple spell, nothing to stress over, my dear, I’ll look forward to seeing you…

“Now, tomorrows lesson we will not be learning any spells. Instead, we will be learning how to brew a potion—don’t forget your wands, now off you go to your next classes. Dismissed.”
He signaled with the wave of his hand and a beaming smile on his lips.

*~*Next Class*~*

”Welcome back students, please, take a seat beside a cauldron. Today we will be learning how to create the Baleful Brew. All sense of fear, worry, and paranoia are gone, the drinker will be encouraged to act upon basic and primal impulse, eradicating any emotion and fear, and the drinker will successfully be able to do what they otherwise could not. For example, a man too fearful to fly will feel no qualms while under this potion.” He explained as he turned his back to the class, grasped a stick of chalk, and began to write on the board.

”Now, before I let you begin, I have one thing to go over. In the fourth step, it is important to note that while you may stir clockwise as many times as you wish, you may only stir counterclockwise eighteen strokes at a time. It is not necessary to do such, but, it will make the potion much more potent to do so. Of course, any extra or less stir in rotation could lead to very damaging effects. So, please, do be careful.

“Now, if there are no questions, please begin. I’ll walk around shortly to see how you’re doing.”

Quote:
1 ½ cup of Essence of Dittany
3/5 cup of flobberworm mucus
3 grams of dried Asphodel leaves
1 ounce crushed Wormwood
1 handful of Aconite flowers
1/5 cup of molten Antimony
4 Doxy eggs
2 Dragon livers
5 Eel eye
5 1/3 grams of dried Venomous Tentacula leaves
12 pints of syrup of Hellebore
6 fl. Oz of Salamander blood
11 grams of Scurvy grass
2 grams of Lovage flowers
1 milligram of powdered unicorn horn

1. Mix and stir Dried Asphodel Leaves with the Dried Venomous Tentacula leaves in a mortar and crush until contents are near powder form, and then pour into a separate basin. Stir in 1 ½ cups of Essence of Dittany, and 3/5 cup of flobberworm mucus into the basin (preferably with a wand) and let simmer for twenty four hours to let the powder absorb.
2. Pour Salamander Blood into your empty cauldron and set to boil. After precisely six minutes, drop each Dragon Liver in, one at a time, while slowly mixing in, and then let sit and boil.
3. Once the mixture comes to a boil, stir in the asphodel, venomous tentacula, essence of dittany, flobberworm mucus mixture into the cauldron *only* stirring counterclockwise. The thick, red and course potion should take on a thinner, smoother texture now.
4. Stir clockwise as need be, but *only* stir counterclockwise eighteen strokes at the most, or least. (See Professor for Further Instruction)
5. Drop in the Doxy Eggs and sprinkle in one handful of Aconite Flowers.
6. The potion should then immediately morph into a deep and vibrant violet color, wafting fumes of pink hues.
7. Stir in one ounce of Crushed Wormwood, and only *six* ounces of Syrup of Hellebore.
8. Allow contents to boil for over ten minutes before stirring in five Eel Eyes.
9. Also, combine Scurvy Grass and Lovage Flowers in a separate basin; add the final six ounces of Syrup of Hellebore into the mixture and stir the ingredients until the solidity of the grass and flowers have melted into the compound. Then add to the cauldron stirring counterclockwise.
10. Finally, add a dash of Molten Antimony and the Powdered Unicorn Horn. The potion will spark with a luminescent glow if done correctly.

Juan Angel Amorocho
User Image User Image User Image

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:21 am
Professor of Alchemy
..............Ravenclaw

User Image
╔══════════════╗
╚══════════════╝

A new year.

Hovering over the foliage that thrived across the back circular wall of the classroom, Professor Angel had held his long wand of thirteen inch oak wood generously over each plant—no two were the same. It was a difficult feat, if herbologists pondered, to harbor such separate individual species that, in any other world, would never flourish. But Juan Angel Amorocho would always smile, the secrets of alchemy he would always tell them. Students would begin to rush within, finding seats and falling into a chatter with ease, and he would wait until each and every plant had had the exact amount of moisture needed before swirling around on his heel and garbed in a muggle suit and tie.

”Ah, hola y bienvenidos,” Angel began in Spanish for a fault, and continued in English. ”Welcome to alchemy class, I’m Professor Amorocho, I understand it may be a bit difficult to pronounce, as it is, you may call me Professor Angel if you like.

“Now, today we are going to begin the year by briefly learning about the Philosopher’s Stone and its properties. The Philosopher’s Stone can be used to create the Elixir of Life, to transform base metals into pure gold, and, power, but, only one stone created has ever been recorded into existence. created by the hands of Nicholas Flamel, and, Albus Dumbledore....”
He paused, allowing the moment for students to settle in and retrieve parchment and quill; today, there would be no spell casting.

”The Philosopher’s Stone was a very crucial ingredient in the hopes to create an Elixer of Life, which, can grant an extended lifespan for as long as the user drinks it, and, it can also be used to restore a witch or wizards soul that may have been broken apart with the means of a horcrux.

“When the stone was set to be hidden in Hogwarts, it had been hidden within an enchanted item, the Mirror of Erised. Albus Dumbledore was a famed alchemist who truly believed in the pursuit of enlightenment and the magical importance of the pure of heart. The mirror, truly a brilliant stroke of genius, would always reflect what was desired most, because of that, it could drive men to madness, simply because, they wanted to see it come fruition—and the only place where it would, would be standing in it’s reflection.

“The Philosopher’s Stone was hidden inside of this mirror, and even though the possessed Quirinus Quirrell desired the stone more than anything else, he would never have been able to acclaim it. Mister Harry Potter desired the stone, utmost, for one and one only reason: to protect the lives of those he most cared about. Although at the time, he had been led to believe it was the previous Potions Master Professor Snape, his heart had always known that he was destined to keep it safe.

“The heart is a very powerful matter, delving as deep into mind magic, as well as wand lore, and heavily researched in the Department of Mysteries in the Ministry of Magic, for good reason… And no doubt, it took vigorous studying, and research for Dumbledore to have been able to safely hide the stone in such a precarious manner.

“Ah, I do believe that concludes the lesson for today, does anybody have any questions about what we’re you’re going to be learning in alchemy this year? I realize today’s first lesson wasn’t exactly an introductory course but next class you will begin your spell work, and, I will go over the fundamentals of alchemy in depth. ”
He concluded, and guided his gaze across his students to see if anyone had a question.

Juan Angel Amorocho

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Object of Affection 150
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:17 am
Chase Henrick User Image
Ravenclaw : Third Year : Chaser
User Image

In the headaches that accompanied the choosing of electives among a variety of selections, Chase chose Alchemy simply because it sounded interesting. He sat in the classroom, listening intently to the professor as he took down intricate notes. All of this information seemed mind-boggling. The muggle scientists who spent eons trying to figure out a way to extend one's life, and perhaps reach immortality. And here Chase was, learning about he possible but extremely hard to attain way to live forever.

It seemed that even with magic that disobeyed the laws of nature had trouble coming up with ways of immortality. Everything had an end, without exception. He raised his hand, curiosity burning inside him. "I have two questions, Professor. They're not related to what we're going to learn, but about today's lesson," he stated. "First, how did mister Dumbledore manage to insert an object into a mirror? Second, what happened to the stone after it was retrieved?"

User Image

"The person who tries to live alone will not succeed as a human being.
His heart withers if it does not answer another heart.
His mind shrinks away if he hears only the echoes of his own thoughts and finds no other inspiration."
- Pearl S. Buck

User Image

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:00 pm
User Image
I'm not afraid of anything
I just need to know that I can breathe
I don't need much of anything
But suddenly, suddenly

I am small and the world is big
All around me is fast moving
Surrounded by so many things
But suddenly, suddenly

eather tevia awthorn
Single | Hufflepuff | Third Year | Beater | Halfblood

Would you comfort me? Would you cry with me?

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

A new room and a new professor. Heather walked into the classroom in quite the nervous fashion, trying not to make eye-contact with anyone. She had been in the same classrooms for two years, and now she was in a brand new setting. It was terrifying for the third year. Back to her old, shy self, she took a seat against the wall and began to take notes. She payed close attention to the lesson, but thoughts still pondered in the back of her head. Professor Angel? How strange... I wonder... About this stone... she thought as the professor finished his lecture. Her hand slowly made its way into the air after Chase asked his questions. "Umm... You mentioned that the stone could mend a soul broken into pieces and formed into Horcruxes. And that Quirinus Quirrell was 'possessed' and tried to obtain the stone. The only time I've ever heard of Horcruxes and possessions involved... Voldamort. Does this mean that Quirrell was trying to get the stone to bring Voldamort back to his previous state of being? Ummm... Does that make sense at all, sir?" she asked, ranting on and on about the troubling questions in her mind. She hoped she didn't sound like an idiot. A rambling, ranting idiot.

Wearing
{OOC:}

I'm young, and I am free
But I get tired, and I get weak
I get lost, and I can't sleep
But suddenly, suddenly

How does it feel, to be different from me?
Are we the same?
Are we the same?
How does it feel?

BeaterBeast525

Timid Werewolf

5,750 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Gaian 50

Nanashi Kage Enjeru

Skilled Camper

23,025 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:28 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Shina Kiremono~Third Year~Ravenclaw

User Image

Like always, Shina was quick to settle into a seat and set out her supplies. Her quill scritched over her parchment as she wrote down what the professor had to say about the Philosopher's Stone. The information about relatively recent history was also quite interesting. Chase's and Heather's questions were good points, and Shina noted each one down on a clean page of her notebook, ready to write down what the teacher had to say on those subjects. She'd listen to the answers before she asked any questions of her own.

User Image
((OOC: ... ))

Wearing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:54 pm
Professor of Alchemy
..............Ravenclaw

User Image
╔══════════════╗
╚══════════════╝

"Five points to Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff," A bright, genuine smile struck alit on his brazen features of Latino descent, the batch of students this year seemed as bright as the last, and he hoped it would continue on this fashion for the next years to come. This was, he realized, the last year he needed to complete to be finally finished with his probationary period with the Spanish and British Minister for Magic… He thought he’d be flying out of this school and back to his alchemical studies, but… he had come to like it here….

”That, my student, truly is a mystery that only the great Albus Dumbledore knows himself, truth be told, I’ve puzzled over it for the past five years I’ve spent teaching here, roaming the books in the grand library. I’m afraid I’ll never know, but, I can say this, I’m quite positive it had much to do with the magical power of the heart… As for your next question, Mister Flamel and Mister Dumbledore both decided it best that the stone be destroyed, several short years later, Flamel and his wife both passed away…

“Ah, intriguing question miss, the Dark Lord, Voldemort, formerly known as Tom Riddle while he attended his years within Hogwarts, was in fact, after the Philosopher’s Stone. Harry Potter, at the time, misguided, believed it to be Severus Snape, the previous Potions professor and Headmaster of this school. There was much doubt and speculation against Severus Snape, even amongst the Order of The Phoenix that arose during the Second Wizarding War to fight off Voldemort. In the end, though, the truth remains only between those members of the Order of the Phoenix, and those closely involved know, but every suspicion against Severus Snape had been cleared—

“And, I apologize if I rambled, but Quirinus Quirrel was indeed under a dark, powerful spell of Voldemort, who was, at the time, seeking the stone for immortality, and, it’s power to restore a damaged soul under the effects of horcruxes…

“Any more questions--?”

Juan Angel Amorocho

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

kiska166
Crew

Devoted Winner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:11 pm
User Image
Amanda Davis
Third Year: Slytherin Chaser

Amanda sat down in a random desk not too far from the other students. She wrote down the important facts that came out of Professor Amorocho's mouth, but the girl stayed quiet and did not ask any questions.

You Touch Me..
I break you.
wearing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:31 am
Professor of Alchemy
..............Ravenclaw

User Image
╔══════════════╗
╚══════════════╝

Quote:

Name of the spell: Corrumpo
Pronunciation of the spell: Corr-um-PEE-oh
Meaning behind the name: Corrumpo meaning: to break up, destroy, annhiliate / spoil, weaken
Effects of the spell: This spell causes any iron or iron based object to rust upon will.
Wand movements required to perform properly: With a swift wrist, form a zigzag line with the tip of the wand and then thrust it towards the object.
Distance requirement: Item must be within sight
Lasting effects: The effects last upon the object until the spell is reversed

Manually guiding the chalk to his uniquely sprawling script, Angel copied down the spell for the day and the page it appeared in their alchemical textbooks. Wiping his hands of any fine white residue, he turned his attention to the head of the class, waving a hand through the air with simple ease which had caused the classroom door to swing open, and then, the curtains upon every high arched window pulled to the side to let the light spill through and douse its rays upon the foliage nestled along the back walls of the circular room. ”Good afternoon, class, today, we will be spell casting, so, take out your books, turn to the page, and retrieve your wands.

“This spell is a fairly simple charm, and, in this class, you’ll learn that alchemy is truly a branch of magic, that incorporates all other branches into one, the difference? Alchemical spells, potions, and transmutations are all deviations of spells to achieve enlightenment, and, quite possibly the more obvious, the spells always change something. Ideally, that’s what people believe alchemy to be, the study of the four basic elements, as well as the study of transmutation. Alchemy, above all, can almost be seen as a doctrine, or, a philosophy, even. But, we’ll get to all of that soon enough, for now, all you need to know, is that the difference between a normal spell, and an alchemical spell, is that, in the end, it changes an object, is a deviation of the four elements, or, enlightens the mind.

“Now, to begin, we will learn the Corrumpo spell, which, can cast any metal to tarnish to rust, thus, creating an ease of access to burst though iron bars, mar an opponent’s shield, or, simply, destroy your friends bicycle, which, I don’t at all condone.

“The wandwork is a bit difficult, so repeat after me, with a swift wrist, guide your wand in an even zigzag, absolutely make sure it is as even as possible going left, and then right, and left once again, failure to do so could cause the spell to to tarnish too much, then thrust the point of the wand at the target. Understand? Now, the incantation is fairly simple. If you’ll repeat after me, cor-um-PEE-oh.

“Excellent, now, give it a go on the metal chain link I’ve summoned to your desks, if you need any help, please, don’t hesitate to ask.”

Juan Angel Amorocho

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Object of Affection 150
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:50 pm
Chase Henrick User Image
Ravenclaw : Third Year : Chaser
User Image

Chase jotted notes here and there, picking out the details and the bigger picture of alchemy. He got out his wand, ready to attempt his first spell in Alchemy. "Corrumpo," he cast, mimicking what he saw the professor did. However, Chase may not have kept his lines perfectly straight or something, since the chain immediately decayed into a long pile of dust. At least it increased the entropy of the universe.

User Image

"The person who tries to live alone will not succeed as a human being.
His heart withers if it does not answer another heart.
His mind shrinks away if he hears only the echoes of his own thoughts and finds no other inspiration."
- Pearl S. Buck

User Image

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:33 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Shina Kiremono~Third Year~Ravenclaw Seeker

User Image

Shina copied the motion, and practiced saying the incantation without her wand. While the incantation was easy enough, the wand motion felt a little odd. She practiced it a few more times before trying the spell. "Corrumpo," she said as she swept her wand left, right, and left again before jabbing forward. She'd focused so hard on the motions though, that she hadn't put much mental energy into actually casting the spell, and only a tiny spot of tarnish showed up. Blushing, Shina tried again, and this time a link rusted over.

User Image
((OOC: ... ))

Wearing

Nanashi Kage Enjeru

Skilled Camper

23,025 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300

BeaterBeast525

Timid Werewolf

5,750 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:32 pm
User Image
I'm not afraid of anything
I just need to know that I can breathe
I don't need much of anything
But suddenly, suddenly

I am small and the world is big
All around me is fast moving
Surrounded by so many things
But suddenly, suddenly

eather tevia awthorn
Dating Dhylan Nolynn | Hufflepuff | Halfblood
Beater | Quidditch Vice Captain | Third Year

Would you comfort me? Would you cry with me?

Heather walked into the classroom and took her seat in the front corner. Today, they would be casting a spell. She was so excited that her hand jittered as she gripped her wand. Taking her chain in her hand, she ran her fingers over the tiny metal links. She almost didn't want to ruin such an object. Still, she had to do the assignment. "Corrumpo..." she said calmly, waving her wand over the chain in her hand. The zigzag pattern, along with the jab at the chain must have worked, for the chain rusted. She ran her fingers over it again, feeling the once smooth surface that was now rough and tarnished. She frowned, and raised her hand to ask a question. "Professor. Is there a spell that counters the effects of Corrumpo? Turning something rusty back to it's previous state?" she asked, curiosity filling her eyes.

Wearing
{OOC:}

I'm young, and I am free
But I get tired, and I get weak
I get lost, and I can't sleep
But suddenly, suddenly

Are we the same?
Are we the same?
How does it feel?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:47 pm
User Image
Amanda Davis
Third Year: Slytherin Chaser

Amanda stared at the chain for a moment. "Corrumpo," she said, imitation what the professor had done. It took her several attempts to get the spell to work perfectly, but it worked!

You Touch Me..
I break you.
wearing

kiska166
Crew

Devoted Winner

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:00 am
Professor of Alchemy
..............Ravenclaw

User Image
╔══════════════╗
Thoughts: 'Excellent,'
╚══════════════╝

"Excellent question, Heather, that is going to be the next spell you will go over, inveteratus. If you direct your eyes to the board and copy the notes, we can begin,”

"The counter charm: inveteratus. Essentially does the opposite of your last spell, if you come across iron that’s rusted, this will do the trick to reverse the effects."
Juan stepped forward to demonstrate the wandwork, and the etymology behind the spell and then offered for the students to have a go on the rusted instruments on his desk. ”Do be careful, this is rust, I’d advise you all to wear your gloves if you have them, if not, I have a box right here you can use.”

Quote:
Inveteratus: Reverses the effects of rust on iron based objects.
Etymology: Invertatus, meaning, hardened-by-age, of long-lasting.
Wandwork: Exact opposite of its counterpart, a thrust, concluded with a zigzag motion.

[[[[so sorry for going mia, trying to catch everything up]]]]

Juan Angel Amorocho

   
Third Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 15 16 17 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out