27%
 27%  [ 10 ]
maligning
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
and offending others!
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
oh ok, and sometimes complimenting too..
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
but insults are more FUN
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
a safe gold option too..
37%
 37%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 37

Catira Norr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:20 pm
Harbone
How about "skank" or "skanky?"

It was my favorite word, for a while, back when I was still dating (mid 90s at the latest, really) to describe an attractive woman who seemed expensively unwholesome, as opposed to enticingly wicked. It was a fine line, but an alarming one too see crossed. Especially since it always caught me off guard to see such a sight and the woman whom I described with this very unflattering expression invariably misread my gaze and asked me to buy them a drink. It was a times like that I was very glad to be poor (although it was still humiliating!)

It also sort of expressed the opinon that someone had sacrificed a little too much for beauty. Like someone who had tried to be thin so desperately that they looked skeletal or someone who had had so many nose jobs their face was little more than two taught, tiny nostrils (a bit like an angry tiki carving, really.) I don't know what it meant in other parts of the world, but I've heard skank used in a lot of contexts.

I don't think it originally meant what my little crowd in Portland, OR ended up using it to mean.

In Scotland, a skank would be a completely unattractive girl who took no care of herself whatsoever, but was totally available to the local male population.... also known as the "local bicycle".

On a slightly more wholesome note, we have:

Hud yer wheesht - translation: hold your breath, meaning: be quiet
Couldn't care tuppence - don't care
Away an bile yer heid - translation: go boil your head, meaning: no way
That'll be right - meaning... wrong!
Away with the fairies - meaning, not quite seeing reality the same way the rest of us do
Mutton dresses as lamb - would be used to describe an older woman who still wore more revealing younger fashions, but in an unflattering way.
Minging would be something totally gross (like picking your nose)
Manky or clarty means dirty

There's bound to be a lot more when I think about it. Fun idea!  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:46 pm
Catira Norr

In Scotland, a skank would be a completely unattractive girl who took no care of herself whatsoever, but was totally available to the local male population.... also known as the "local bicycle".

It's similar here in Washington where I live ~ though not all skanky girls would be unattractive, under-dressed, or overly made-up... the term "EASY" is perhaps the best translation.

Away with the fairies... love it ~ reminds of how my grandpa's siblings described someone with Alzheimer's or Dementia... they'd gone "Round the Bend"  

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100

AschfahlDahlia

6,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:46 pm
All time favorite, Oo-Da-Lally. Disney inspired, but said with the right conviction, can mean a multitude of different things.

Clown killer!

(means you're jokes are soooo bad... that a clown has fallen down dead someone) sort of along the lines of "I don't believe in fairies" (quick! clap children! clap!)

Daft p***k.

(Explaining just what daft means alone to some people is worth it.)

and the ever favorite... family traditional phrase Schwinehunde!

hehe... means pig-dog. Take that one as you want.  
Gaian Geezers Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff