Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
Why the big Deal? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Love?
  And Peace!!!
View Results

Hanku Royiaki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:17 pm
Yom Kippur is a confession, but is mandatory every year, according to the faith and one of my Jewish friends. With Christianity it's not mandatory, as it can be done whenever. MY view on confession though in Christianity is if you truly seek forgiveness then you can simply ask God yourself, but that's me and maybe I'm wrong in that sense. xD In the end though, Judaism is mandatory, Christianity is not.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:28 pm
Hanku Royiaki
Yom Kippur is a confession, but is mandatory every year, according to the faith and one of my Jewish friends. With Christianity it's not mandatory, as it can be done whenever. MY view on confession though in Christianity is if you truly seek forgiveness then you can simply ask God yourself, but that's me and maybe I'm wrong in that sense. xD In the end though, Judaism is mandatory, Christianity is not.

its mandatory in the catholic church.

asking jesus to forgive your sins ((after telling jesus all your sins)) is also a requirement of most, if not all, christian churches. 3nodding  

WastelandMama
Crew

tsukasa_the_quiet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:29 pm
Hanku Royiaki
See, and I agree with you there, that whatever sins you have can be discussed with God, I'm not a Christian mind you, but that's beside the point. What I'm trying to get at with the confession thing is that many people, Catholics in particular, feel that you have to confess your sins to a spiritual leader. So in theory, it is the exact same thing as Yom Kippur in that the confession is mandatory.

Oh, and sorry about the whole idiot thing, my day has been pretty crappy on the whole and I needed a vent, unfortunately, this was the first thread I came into and the whole remark on the Jewish God being a jerk kinda put me over the edge. Still sorry about it though, it was uncalled for. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:37 pm
Um, hello? That's NOT what Yom Kippur is about nowadays. It's about saying sorry to OTHER PEOPLE for your WRONGDOINGS TO THEM!!!
I appreciate your point of view, but I am still offended, because they are the EXACT SAME DEITY. And jews are NOT taught to fear god. God is loving and forgiving.

BTW, i've been schooled in both Jewish AND christian theology, so don't you go calling me ignorant or stupid.  

MonsieurSponge

Ashon_Superior

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:44 pm
Wow this thread has changed focus so many times...  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:54 pm
EggaxSponge
Um, hello? That's NOT what Yom Kippur is about nowadays. It's about saying sorry to OTHER PEOPLE for your WRONGDOINGS TO THEM!!!
I appreciate your point of view, but I am still offended, because they are the EXACT SAME DEITY. And jews are NOT taught to fear god. God is loving and forgiving.

BTW, i've been schooled in both Jewish AND christian theology, so don't you go calling me ignorant or stupid.
I knew Egga would come in and be able to back me up on them being the same deity. xd  

tsukasa_the_quiet

MonsieurSponge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:55 pm
[Tsukasa567]
EggaxSponge

I knew Egga would come in and be able to back me up on them being the same deity. xd

Egga is always willing to back facts up. 3nodding heart  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:00 pm
I didn't say you were ignorant or stupid, nor was I even implying that. However, Yom Kippur has changed over the years?! Is that what you're telling me? That I will throughly disagree with, because Yom Kippur is, again, the Day of Atonement. It is one of Judaism's most sacred and WORSHIPED days of the year. Yom Kippur is a 24-hour prayer service to atone one's sins that they have committed, whether it's to their knowledge or not. So no, you're not just "saying sorry to other people for your wrongdoings to them" you're PRAYING for forgiveness from GOD to atone for ALL of your sins.

Judaism is more a religion that follows the laws of God more thoroughly. So in that sense, they are more uptight about God's laws and in Judaism, God is shown to smite those who do not follow his ways. If you screwed up, he'd kick your a**. Christianity, let's not forget, did spawn from Judaism, BUT....BUT they do not believe that God is as......angry when you mess up.

What religion are you anyway? If you're offended then I'd assume you're Jewish, because if you're not then I don't understand why you'd be offended for another religion's God. However I second guess myself in assuming you're Jewish because you've been TAUGHT Jewish and Christianity. What religion did you grow up with or what religion do you currently abide by now?

btw, when I meant that confession isn't mandatory, I meant you don't need to be at the church at a SPECIFIC time or date like Yom Kippur which is a specific event/day.  

Hanku Royiaki

MonsieurSponge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:13 pm
Hanku Royiaki
I didn't say you were ignorant or stupid, nor was I even implying that. However, Yom Kippur has changed over the years?! Is that what you're telling me? That I will throughly disagree with, because Yom Kippur is, again, the Day of Atonement. It is one of Judaism's most sacred and WORSHIPED days of the year. Yom Kippur is a 24-hour prayer service to atone one's sins that they have committed, whether it's to their knowledge or not. So no, you're not just "saying sorry to other people for your wrongdoings to them" you're PRAYING for forgiveness from GOD to atone for ALL of your sins.

Judaism is more a religion that follows the laws of God more thoroughly. So in that sense, they are more uptight about God's laws and in Judaism, God is shown to smite those who do not follow his ways. If you screwed up, he'd kick your a**. Christianity, let's not forget, did spawn from Judaism, BUT....BUT they do not believe that God is as......angry when you mess up.

What religion are you anyway? If you're offended then I'd assume you're Jewish, because if you're not then I don't understand why you'd be offended for another religion's God. However I second guess myself in assuming you're Jewish because you've been TAUGHT Jewish and Christianity. What religion did you grow up with or what religion do you currently abide by now?

btw, when I meant that confession isn't mandatory, I meant you don't need to be at the church at a SPECIFIC time or date like Yom Kippur which is a specific event/day.

I am Jewish. I was raised Jewish. However, I am the only Jewish child in my family so I have enrolled myself in classes at several places to teach myself about other religions.

I think I did not word my previous statement about Yom Kippur right.

What i meant to say, and I hope you will not discount this because this is the internet and I could delete the previous one, is that nowadays, Jews are taught that you have to get God's forgiveness for your sins, but before God can forgive you, you have to ask the other person for forgiveness first.

I have never, EVER been taught to fear God's wrath. I don't know where the hell you came up with that. God will forgive you if you try to do what is right. I don't follow Hallachah. So what. Nobody cares. I will still be received by God, because i didn't follow all 613 commandments.

And your "BUT...BUT..." statement... Do you realize that your biblical examples of a previous post are irrelevant!? You admit that Judaism and Christianity share the Old Testament, yet you point out examples of this from the OLD TESTAMENT of God being "jerk-esque". If we share the same thing, how can you point the finger at me if you believe it too?

And personally, i hear more about my friends' parents being harsh about being christian than being jewish. I have friends whose parents would disown them if they knew the didn't believe in god, so they pretend. I don't know of any jewish kids with parents like that. Hell, my father tells ME god might now exist and i don't care.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:29 pm
Okay, I might as well get this stuff cleared up first. I am not Jewish, I'm Christian...kinda sorta. *shrug* It's on my record that my faith is Christian, BUT.......I have thoughts *nods with annoyance* and that can really screw up the faith thing. XD I did not know that you had to ask for forgiveness from the person first, so you are the victor for Yom Kippur *bows in defeat XP* I will also agree with you in the sense that Christians seem to be more uptight about the laws than Judaism nowadays. I have a few Jewish friends and they were taught to fear God's wrath if they didn't confess their sins. So, I suppose you are right about Jewish folk not being taught to fear God, however there are some who do *shrugs* for some reason. *bows in defeat again XP*

Now here's where we differ *weeeeeeee fun time XD* My original statement was I find it ironic and funny that Christianity follows the Old Testament that was written by the Jews. Why? Because Judaism, is a different religion than Christianity and yes I acknowledge that both God's are the same deity, BUT my argument was that God is portrayed differently. THUS I found it odd, that God had smote so many people in the Old Testament, then suddenly, he becomes more loving and more caring, VERY different than in the Old Testament. *shrugs*

Now what does this have to do with the thread? I find it odd that a verse from the ORIGINALLY Jewish bible is being quoted by Chrisitans against gay marriage, even though you NEVER see a Jew making that same kind of argument.  

Hanku Royiaki

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:45 pm
EggaxSponge
Hanku Royiaki
Also, Jewish God=jerk. Christian God=kind and forgiving.

Oh? I saw it!

sorry my bad  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:19 pm
This is exactly why I'm agnostic. Its so easy.  

angel_half82
Crew

MonsieurSponge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:39 am
Hanku Royiaki
Okay, I might as well get this stuff cleared up first. I am not Jewish, I'm Christian...kinda sorta. *shrug* It's on my record that my faith is Christian, BUT.......I have thoughts *nods with annoyance* and that can really screw up the faith thing. XD I did not know that you had to ask for forgiveness from the person first, so you are the victor for Yom Kippur *bows in defeat XP* I will also agree with you in the sense that Christians seem to be more uptight about the laws than Judaism nowadays. I have a few Jewish friends and they were taught to fear God's wrath if they didn't confess their sins. So, I suppose you are right about Jewish folk not being taught to fear God, however there are some who do *shrugs* for some reason. *bows in defeat again XP*

Now here's where we differ *weeeeeeee fun time XD* My original statement was I find it ironic and funny that Christianity follows the Old Testament that was written by the Jews. Why? Because Judaism, is a different religion than Christianity and yes I acknowledge that both God's are the same deity, BUT my argument was that God is portrayed differently. THUS I found it odd, that God had smote so many people in the Old Testament, then suddenly, he becomes more loving and more caring, VERY different than in the Old Testament. *shrugs*

Now what does this have to do with the thread? I find it odd that a verse from the ORIGINALLY Jewish bible is being quoted by Chrisitans against gay marriage, even though you NEVER see a Jew making that same kind of argument.

God was so harsh in the old testament 'cuz we jews were kinda idoltarous for a lonnngggg time. rofl  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:40 am
Who the hell deleted my post?!?!?!?!  

angel_half82
Crew

General Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items