Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
Is cussing a sin? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

frozen blue angel

3,800 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:26 am
Destiny_Llama
Shadows-shine
faithful quenga
Xx to save a life xX
well i do think its a sin but not the most deadly. because i beleive that the original word of "cuss" is basicly just a word that has been mestup in the past a long time ago which cam from the real word curse. and well i dont rly wanna go araound cursing ppl i mean like if u wouldnt kill a person then dont curse them cuz thats like almost no different. u can cuss BUT u MUST ask for forgiveness. 3nodding
There's a Time to Laugh "Ephesians 2: 8-9"

sin is sin is sin is sin! there is NOT one sin that is greater than any other sin. The wages of ALL sin is death.

And a Time to Cry "Romans 5: 3-5"

Of course the wages of ALL sin is death, but wouldn't saying that a sin is a sin is a sin is a sin, contradict what Christ taught about committing the Unpardonable sin, that being the worst sin of all? A sin for which there is NO forgiveness?

Kudos for the sin is sin is sin. Very true. 3nodding

The unpardonable sin is blasphemy. Yes, there is no forgiveness for it. But- All who choose not to serve God are committing blasphemy, once you choose to serve God you are no longer committing blasphemy.
The definition of blasphemy is "an act of cursing or reviling God." If we don't serve him are we not cursing him?

Yes, cussing is a sin. Why? Because people are harmed by it. It destroys others, therefore it is a sin.

Please don't take this the wrong way but the unpardonable sin is to die with out salvation. If you don't ask Jesus to forgive your sins and you die well, than you will go to hell.
Blasphemy is using the God's name in vain, as a cuss word, or as just saying His name as word for fun. This is in the bible. I don't mean to sound nosie but I just wanted to let you know. 3nodding heart whee 4laugh  
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:22 pm
broken_ninja37
Green_Fuu
well Jesus never cussed
so whatever Jesus never did is a sin, really.

Jesus was never married, is that a sin? Jesus never walked on U.S. soil, is that a sin? Jesus never watched a christian program on a television, is that a sin? Jesus never used a computer, is that a sin? Jesus never touched a King James version bible, is that a sin? Jesus never fliped a light switch, is that a sin? Jesus never ate a chocolate candy bar, is that a sin?

If it isn't, It should be.
Man I really want a Klondike now

must............resist............temptation
sad

Green_Fuu

Fashionable Lunatic

10,600 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Mark Twain 100

Servant Reborn

Devout Worshipper

12,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:27 pm
I remember I started cursing in Middle School around 7th grade. By high school, it had become a habit. In 11th grade I promised I would reduce my cursing.

I'm a freshman in college and I think I've reduced most of my cursing, but I still curse sometimes when I really lose my temper.

Granted, it takes a lot for me to lose my temper, but I don't want to curse under any circumstances. I will have to keep working on it.  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:59 am
blue-by-you-1
Destiny_Llama
Shadows-shine
faithful quenga
Xx to save a life xX
well i do think its a sin but not the most deadly. because i beleive that the original word of "cuss" is basicly just a word that has been mestup in the past a long time ago which cam from the real word curse. and well i dont rly wanna go araound cursing ppl i mean like if u wouldnt kill a person then dont curse them cuz thats like almost no different. u can cuss BUT u MUST ask for forgiveness. 3nodding
There's a Time to Laugh "Ephesians 2: 8-9"

sin is sin is sin is sin! there is NOT one sin that is greater than any other sin. The wages of ALL sin is death.

And a Time to Cry "Romans 5: 3-5"

Of course the wages of ALL sin is death, but wouldn't saying that a sin is a sin is a sin is a sin, contradict what Christ taught about committing the Unpardonable sin, that being the worst sin of all? A sin for which there is NO forgiveness?

Kudos for the sin is sin is sin. Very true. 3nodding

The unpardonable sin is blasphemy. Yes, there is no forgiveness for it. But- All who choose not to serve God are committing blasphemy, once you choose to serve God you are no longer committing blasphemy.
The definition of blasphemy is "an act of cursing or reviling God." If we don't serve him are we not cursing him?

Yes, cussing is a sin. Why? Because people are harmed by it. It destroys others, therefore it is a sin.

Please don't take this the wrong way but the unpardonable sin is to die with out salvation. If you don't ask Jesus to forgive your sins and you die well, than you will go to hell.
Blasphemy is using the God's name in vain, as a cuss word, or as just saying His name as word for fun. This is in the bible. I don't mean to sound nosie but I just wanted to let you know. 3nodding heart whee 4laugh

No that would be taking God's name in vain. Blasphemey is denying the Holy Ghost a place in your life once you have accepted Him.

And no, some one who has died and didn't know or accept Christ is not committing blasphemey. One cannot sin in ignorance.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Kyramud

Lonely Phantom

7,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:51 pm
Shadows-shine

No that would be taking God's name in vain. Blasphemey is denying the Holy Ghost a place in your life once you have accepted Him.

And no, some one who has died and didn't know or accept Christ is not committing blasphemey. One cannot sin in ignorance.

How can one not be able to sin in ignorance? If that were true, than there would be no point to salvation, as not everyone would have sinned because very not everyone has been told about God, Jesus, the bible, etc.
So, It is possible to sin in ignorance, but the people who do don't know they are sinning, and so don't know there are consequences to their sin. It's still a sin regardless of whether someone has been told the consequences of such an action or not.  
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:51 am
yeah i think so, especially saying stuff like "oh my g-o-d" or "g-o-d dammit!" or something like that, but all swearing is sin. i could give more info, but a lot have posted already xd  

odd j davenport

7,450 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Clambake 200

Servant Reborn

Devout Worshipper

12,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:09 pm
I'm taking a speech class in college. In the class, we were discussing the defintion of the term "******" and whether the word should be censored.

I learned two things. Language is arbitrary and abstract. The words we use mean nothing. The only reason they mean anything is because we give meaning to them.

The argument for the usage of the N-word was context. Depending on who is around and where it is said, the meaning changes.

So, this means there is no real bad word. I still don't curse because I believe some words should not be used because they are bad, even if they are only bad because I believe that they are.

That was just something I wanted to add to the conversation.

The whole class room was on the fence. It was good conversation.  
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:48 pm
You can tickle me pink, orange, red, or blue, but not grey

I don't know whether cussing is a sin or not, but didn't Paul or Jesus say that we are not to be of this world, and cussing is very much of this world. Also as Christians we should try to be as pure and pleasing to the lord as possible. Do you find cussing very pure or think that it pleases the Lord? We should be a good example to all those around us and when we cuss that kind of ruins our Christian image to others.

Because grey will not do.

Br1ttana
Crew

Blessed Nerd

11,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Prayer Circle 200

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:54 am
Kyramud
Shadows-shine

How can one not be able to sin in ignorance? If that were true, than there would be no point to salvation, as not everyone would have sinned because very not everyone has been told about God, Jesus, the bible, etc.
So, It is possible to sin in ignorance, but the people who do don't know they are sinning, and so don't know there are consequences to their sin. It's still a sin regardless of whether someone has been told the consequences of such an action or not.

How would it be considered a sin if the person does not know what they are doing is wrong?

You cannot commit the sin of blasphemey if you never knew or accepted Christ into your life before. So if a person has never known Jesus or had Him in his/her life then they didn't commit the sin of blasphemey.  
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:05 pm
Shadows-shine
Kyramud
Shadows-shine

How would it be considered a sin if the person does not know what they are doing is wrong?

You cannot commit the sin of blasphemey if you never knew or accepted Christ into your life before. So if a person has never known Jesus or had Him in his/her life then they didn't commit the sin of blasphemey.

Someone goes to sleep and then proceeds to sleepwalk into murdering someone. He wakes up to police and he has no idea what he did. Even though he doesn't know what he has done which is wrong, he still is punished for it because it is wrong.

Br1ttana
Crew

Blessed Nerd

11,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Prayer Circle 200

Kyramud

Lonely Phantom

7,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:30 pm
Shadows-shine
Kyramud
Shadows-shine

Heh, just because they don't know it's a sin, doesn't mean the action they are doing isn't still a sin. Everyone has sinned. Says so in the Bible, (rather explicitly if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps you already know the verse?)

Just because they don't know that what they are doing is wrong, doesn't make the action any less sinful in the eyes of their Creator. Else, why would Jesus have died on the cross for all sin? Most of the people present at his death didn't know the eternal, spiritual implications of his sacrifice. Were they still guilty of the sin he was dying for? Yes. 'Forgive them, for they know not what they do.'

I don't know enough to say whether or not it's applicable to the blasphemy thing, but then again, I didn't think I was addressing 'the unpardonable' sin. That's a subject of debate for another thread.
I was addressing the statement 'One cannot sin in ignorance.'  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:42 am
i never want to cuss again,i only cussed about 2 times.

why do people cuss any way? its so stupid  

boo-boo8

Romantic Heckler

8,900 Points
  • Party Animal 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:32 pm
Kyramud
Shadows-shine
Kyramud
Shadows-shine

Heh, just because they don't know it's a sin, doesn't mean the action they are doing isn't still a sin. Everyone has sinned. Says so in the Bible, (rather explicitly if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps you already know the verse?)

Just because they don't know that what they are doing is wrong, doesn't make the action any less sinful in the eyes of their Creator. Else, why would Jesus have died on the cross for all sin? Most of the people present at his death didn't know the eternal, spiritual implications of his sacrifice. Were they still guilty of the sin he was dying for? Yes. 'Forgive them, for they know not what they do.'

I don't know enough to say whether or not it's applicable to the blasphemy thing, but then again, I didn't think I was addressing 'the unpardonable' sin. That's a subject of debate for another thread.
I was addressing the statement 'One cannot sin in ignorance.'

Yes I know the verse.

What I am trying to say is I don't think that some one who did some thing that is wrong, but they didn't know it was wrong is going to be punished in the same way that some one who knowingly did some thing wrong is going to be (did that make sense? sweatdrop ) So hence why I said one cannot sin in ignorance.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:34 pm
Br1ttana

I don't know whether cussing is a sin or not, but didn't Paul or Jesus say that we are not to be of this world, and cussing is very much of this world. Also as Christians we should try to be as pure and pleasing to the lord as possible. Do you find cussing very pure or think that it pleases the Lord? We should be a good example to all those around us and when we cuss that kind of ruins our Christian image to others.

I would think it would be...Some where in Psalms David asks the Lord to keep a watch over his mouth (or some thing like that...don't remember exactly how it was phrased) and then there is another verse some where in the NT (I think?) that says it's not what goes into the mouth that defiles a man, it's what comes out...(again...I don't know the exact phrasing of the verse). So I interpret those to mean cussing and vulgar words are sinful  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Bible and other christian discussions

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas