Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
uhm.... having some dog problems.. or at least my dad is.. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

yum yum....
  D: ..... No. Just no.
View Results

GECKOomega

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:07 am
my dog used to eat its poop because it was hungry
as for rolling in it, i think they like the smell  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:01 pm
Iconised Ghost
Metalic_Noodles

What sizes/breeds/gender are those dogs that don't seem to get it?

~Metalic_Noodles

Black lab, female, small for her age and species. A classic scavenger xd

Labs tend to be good family pets because they don't think, they just do what they at least think they should. St. Bernards will darg you to kingdomcome if they so choose. They usually are too passive to bother though. xd
But that article that was posted, reminded me a a good trick, espessially for the more lower-rank-in-a-pack dogs, just bite, or simulate it with your hands. So the dogs that don't get 'no' might get the more dog version of no.

~Metalic_Noodles

Metalic_Noodles

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:36 am
Metalic_Noodles
Iconised Ghost
Metalic_Noodles

~Metalic_Noodles

Labs tend to be good family pets because they don't think, they just do what they at least think they should. St. Bernards will darg you to kingdomcome if they so choose. They usually are too passive to bother though. xd

~Metalic_Noodles

Im sorry, but i think labs definately DO think. This lab is too smart for her own good. And she isnt a pet, she's a guide dog. And she wouldnt be a guide dog if she didnt think wink  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:26 pm
Iconised Ghost
Metalic_Noodles
Iconised Ghost
Metalic_Noodles

~Metalic_Noodles

~Metalic_Noodles

Im sorry, but i think labs definately DO think. This lab is too smart for her own good. And she isnt a pet, she's a guide dog. And she wouldnt be a guide dog if she didnt think wink

She may eat her pop because then the person doesn't have to pick it up.

Also, if a guide dog thought, that would be bad. Most dogs that 'think' do what they want and don't see a point in many things we want. Labs make guide dogs because they don't think, they just learn what we want and do it. Would you want a guide dog that randomly descided it was time to eat, went to a hotdog stand and refused to move?

~Metalic_Noodles

Metalic_Noodles

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:04 pm
Metalic_Noodles
Iconised Ghost
Metalic_Noodles
Iconised Ghost
Metalic_Noodles

~Metalic_Noodles

~Metalic_Noodles

Also, if a guide dog thought, that would be bad. Most dogs that 'think' do what they want and don't see a point in many things we want. Labs make guide dogs because they don't think, they just learn what we want and do it. Would you want a guide dog that randomly descided it was time to eat, went to a hotdog stand and refused to move?

~Metalic_Noodles

Because the person doesnt have to pick it up? I dont know what its like where you are, but here the law is that you HAVE to pick up after your dog. So I dont know what you are on about

A guide dog that didnt think would be bad. A guide dog has to be able to:
-learn commands (sit, stay, heal, walk to heal, stop, lie down, come, other various commands)
-follow commands (self evident)
-make safety decisions (guide dogs have to know when it is safe to cross. For her dog the command when she gets to an uncontrolled crossing is "when its safe", meaning when there is no car coming, cross)
-control their impulses (so that they are not going for every piece of food, chasing every child, running after every ball)

So guide dogs have to be VERY smart. They wouldnt invest so much money in a dumb dog. What you are talking about when you say "Would you want a guide dog that randomly descided it was time to eat, went to a hotdog stand and refused to move?" are untrained dogs, or those who act on their impulses or instincts. Guide dogs are trained SPECIFICALLY not to do that. Otherwise it would be unsafe (you cant have a guide dog dart into the road for a bit off food with a person attached to them)  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:07 am
my dog is having the same problem right now and there is this stuff you can give all your animals that makes their poop taste VERY nasty to them. i kn't rember wat its called but ill post again later when i find out.  

Marurashi

Artanus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:41 pm
Metalic_Noodles
Iconised Ghost
Metalic_Noodles

~Metalic_Noodles

But that article that was posted, reminded me a a good trick, espessially for the more lower-rank-in-a-pack dogs, just bite, or simulate it with your hands. So the dogs that don't get 'no' might get the more dog version of no.

~Metalic_Noodles

That's what I said. Pinch and "tsst". The Caesar Millan method XD  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:02 am
Iconised Ghost
Metalic_Noodles
Iconised Ghost
Metalic_Noodles
Iconised Ghost
Metalic_Noodles

~Metalic_Noodles

~Metalic_Noodles

~Metalic_Noodles

Because the person doesnt have to pick it up? I dont know what its like where you are, but here the law is that you HAVE to pick up after your dog. So I dont know what you are on about

A guide dog that didnt think would be bad. A guide dog has to be able to:
-learn commands (sit, stay, heal, walk to heal, stop, lie down, come, other various commands)
-follow commands (self evident)
-make safety decisions (guide dogs have to know when it is safe to cross. For her dog the command when she gets to an uncontrolled crossing is "when its safe", meaning when there is no car coming, cross)
-control their impulses (so that they are not going for every piece of food, chasing every child, running after every ball)

So guide dogs have to be VERY smart. They wouldnt invest so much money in a dumb dog. What you are talking about when you say "Would you want a guide dog that randomly descided it was time to eat, went to a hotdog stand and refused to move?" are untrained dogs, or those who act on their impulses or instincts. Guide dogs are trained SPECIFICALLY not to do that. Otherwise it would be unsafe (you cant have a guide dog dart into the road for a bit off food with a person attached to them)

I said:
because then the person wouldn't have to pick it up

Meaning, the dog watched people pick up poop, and learned that if she had to poop, that it needed to be picked up.

The easiest dogs to train are dogs that don't think. Try convincing a St. Bernard to do something without a bribe.
Now, a dumb or stuborn dog would be a pain in the a** to train. Just because it's smart, doesn't mean it thinks for itself. And the USA army has so many people because it's a high paying job for people who can't think, or do much but follow orders. (Please note that I'm not saying they are all dumb, but if you know how to think, it's harder to train yourself to not think.)

What I'm saying is they don't think, they do as they are told. They've been told and trained to not cross the street when there are cars coming, and that it needs to not chase after things.

Cars hut is common sence, dogs like mine lacking common sence stop in front of cars. My dog likely does it beause he knows there are people inside, and he doesn't get that cars hurt. But no one has taught him that a human child scream is something to be conserned about, or to investigate, but he still jumps at the sound like you and I jump at the ring of a telephone. But then, we are trained to jump at the sound of a telephone.

He also runs to gun shot, proving a difference in thinking and sence/intellegence. He thinks there are people where there is gun shot, but I've never shot a gun, and he's never been with someone who was hunting.

There is a difference between dumb and able to think for themselves. A difference from dumb and stubborn too.

~Metalic_Noodles

Metalic_Noodles

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:15 am
Well we'll have to agree to disagree on just about all those points then  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:43 am
My room mate and i take care of gretta his high maintanence basset-beagle of 13 -14 yrs. she's had this problem too. It's not dangerous rly. maybe sometimes not good for them... i mean if some other dog had worms and "borrowed" your yard... ew.. but no just its own or other healthy dog's poo. not dangerous. problem is the vet told us doggies that start rly going for poo in the yard when you're feeding them and scratching your head, is that they may not be getting enough vitamins and minerals in their diet.

in that case changing dog food may not be the answer if shiloh's not digesting what he needs from his foods. check into making sure he doesn't have any worms just in case you haven't and check into doggie vitamins. we had to start giving gretta vitamins as she got older she wasn't getting enough in any of her food even the expensive foods alot of what she needed was in the food she just wasn't digesting all of it. the xtra boost from vitamins helped... although she still eyes the yard lol.. hope it helps sorry it took 2 paragraphs lol gl shiloh!  

Rydia-Beck aka Lillea

Captain

Professional Conversationalist

8,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Marurashi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:37 pm
get this stuff its called For.Bid [X]
it makes the poo taste very bad to your dog, you just sprinkle it on their food.

tis the best way to stop yer dog from eating his own poo.  
General Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff