Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
Something I am trying - I hope it works Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yay?
  Yes
  No
  HEADCRAB!
View Results

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:34 pm
Exmucane
Metalic_Noodles
aprilness

I'm not one of those rude ignorant people who blow off ALL disorders as illegitimate.
It *sounds* like it's just a "medical name" for disobedient kids.
behavioral trait

Trait, because it's not necessarily a flaw, even thought one person, or group that will never meet someone with the trait, says it is.

~Metalic_Noodles

That's rather irrelevant. What matters is the effect it has on the individuals lifestyle. Is stupidity a trait or a flaw? It doesn't really matter, what matters is that the person may have trouble adapting because they're stupid. Oppositional defiant disorder is the same way. They call it a disorder, maybe it is or maybe it isn't. I personally believe that it was truly caused by my being bipolar.

Exactly, to get treatment for something psychiatric it needs to negatively affect your functioning, or it needs to make you a danger to yourself or others, among other things. It doesnt really matter if you say its a trait or a flaw. And who says mental disorders are "flaws" anyway? If your going to use a pathology paradigm for mental health, then I wouldnt say that they are flawed. Thats like saying people who are physically ill or disabled are flawed. Which is a pretty bad way of looking at it sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:23 pm
Exmucane
jfm567
Exmucane
Metalic_Noodles
aprilness

I'm not one of those rude ignorant people who blow off ALL disorders as illegitimate.
behavioral trait

Trait, because it's not necessarily a flaw, even thought one person, or group that will never meet someone with the trait, says it is.

~Metalic_Noodles

That's rather irrelevant. What matters is the effect it has on the individuals lifestyle. Is stupidity a trait or a flaw? It doesn't really matter, what matters is that the person may have trouble adapting because they're stupid. Oppositional defiant disorder is the same way. They call it a disorder, maybe it is or maybe it isn't. I personally believe that it was truly caused by my being bipolar.

I'd get mad over the smallest things that my parents and teachers were well within their rights to correct me with. By elementary school when I got into an argument I'd end up yelling at my teachers, telling them how to do their jobs and what they were doing wrong. If I felt I was right about something, I'd completely ignore anyone who told me to do otherwise. The fact is that it made life difficult. I don't really see how it matters if it was a disorder or a trait; and I can see why a psychiatrist would want to use medicine to change it.

in short, you were a stubborn kid.

Much more than that. The average kid doesn't threaten to kill his teachers when they won't listen to him.
Got one better, my first grade teacher always got death threats for the thirty years she's taught. One kid back in.....1980 something or other actually tried to go through his plan, but failed to kill the teacher, just killed himself.

Side note-
She's only nice to the money maker kids (parents rich as hell.)

I'm sure she treated that kid like crap, like she does to all poor kids. rolleyes

Dana Pixie Stix

Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:19 pm
Iconised Ghost
Exmucane
Metalic_Noodles
aprilness

behavioral trait

~Metalic_Noodles

Exactly, to get treatment for something psychiatric it needs to negatively affect your functioning, or it needs to make you a danger to yourself or others, among other things. It doesnt really matter if you say its a trait or a flaw. And who says mental disorders are "flaws" anyway? If your going to use a pathology paradigm for mental health, then I wouldnt say that they are flawed. Thats like saying people who are physically ill or disabled are flawed. Which is a pretty bad way of looking at it sweatdrop

Genetically, and the way they tend to be quarantined (hospital or in special housing) apparently socially as well.
Yes, genetically for catching a flu/cancer because the superior genetics would have immunity from such ailments. The funny part is, looking at it that way, few if anyone aren't genetically flawed.

~Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:25 pm
Metalic_Noodles
Iconised Ghost
Exmucane
Metalic_Noodles
aprilness

behavioral trait

~Metalic_Noodles

Genetically, and the way they tend to be quarantined (hospital or in special housing) apparently socially as well.
Yes, genetically for catching a flu/cancer because the superior genetics would have immunity from such ailments. The funny part is, looking at it that way, few if anyone aren't genetically flawed.

~Metalic_Noodles

I cant make sense of any of that gonk
All i can say is that you cant catch cancer xd i think you can catch viruses that can lead to cancer, but cant catch the cancer itself  

Iconised Ghost

Bikki Kobayashi IV

0 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Critic 0
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:50 pm
Its very interesting how the topic turned out the way it did.

With mental difference I have ADD though when I was younger they thought it was ADHD  
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:05 pm
Can Oppositional Defiant Disorder be Mild, Moderate & Severe? Because that sounded JUST like Bob up until you got to the death threats to teachers.  

MonsieurSponge

Bikki Kobayashi IV

0 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Critic 0
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:16 pm
Oh, I forgot but there is another thing. I forgot what it called. But because of it I don't handle big changes well, and when stressed I am almost unable to speak.  
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:41 pm
I hope it works out for you.  

mitian

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:46 pm
EggaxSponge
Can Oppositional Defiant Disorder be Mild, Moderate & Severe? Because that sounded JUST like Bob up until you got to the death threats to teachers.

Yeah im pretty sure it can be. Most disorders are on a continuum so i dont see why it should be any different  
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:12 am
Iconised Ghost
EggaxSponge

Yeah im pretty sure it can be. Most disorders are on a continuum so i dont see why it should be any different

Yeah Bob's mom and I already think he has moderate ADD or ADHD (I'm not sure what the difference is) And it sounds like he has mild Oppositional Defient Disorder.  

MonsieurSponge

Bikki Kobayashi IV

0 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Critic 0
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:52 am
EggaxSponge
Iconised Ghost
EggaxSponge

Yeah Bob's mom and I already think he has moderate ADD or ADHD (I'm not sure what the difference is) And it sounds like he has mild Oppositional Defient Disorder.
They are basically the same however ADHD is more severe than ADD.  
General Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff