Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Any Topic Guild

Back to Guilds

I will find you... on Gaia! :D 

Tags: friendship, events, hangout, literate, chatting 

Reply Community Lounge
...I'm a Snob (When It Comes To Food and Drink)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:06 am
I just realise that I cringe (sometimes not visibly) when certain food or drink are served in ways that would ruin the flavour. Examples of this phenomenon are as follows:

• Green and white teas served with garnishes or sweeteners
  • Quality liquors and wines mixed with anything (though ice -- for liquors -- and water -- for wine -- can be acceptable)
  • Coffee and espresso drinks are prepared/garnished with cream after 1000 hours (unfortunate considering I make them often after 1000 hours)
  • Foods and drinks are paired outside of their cultural contexts (Not a big deal, but sometimes I get confused when American-style hamburgers are served in a Chinese restaurant)
  • Roast Turkey, Meatloaf, or Roast Beef served with ketchup
  • Vegetables are overcooked (losing the flavour, vitamins, and potential crunch and texture)

It's not a problem when it's just concerning me, but sometimes I catch myself looking at how others prepare food and wondering WTF is going on with their heads.

Am I a snob, ATG?

Nota Bene: This conversation should not be a serious one, and I'd prefer it to not be. Though I am curious as to how/why I have said tastes and wonder if it's healthy to keep said gastronomic opinions around.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:07 am
About 57% snob. XD  

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

AlcoholicPancake
Crew

3,100 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Voter 0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:17 am
Liquor can be good with water, and other things. Sure, I can understand the top shelf stuff, but even a bit of water can help that a lot. Water can take the edge off a glass of whiskey, and make it more enjoyable, while if you don't add much, it doesn't ruin the flavor. Though, one things that should NEVER be mixed with anything, is Cognac. That s**t's meant for drinking straight, while savoring the flavor.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:09 am
You're not a snob... I too am the same way... I'm not picky in what i eat, it's the quality... For example:

- I had my first panini in Italy. Best panini i've ever had. I've had other panini's after that. they don't equal...
- The best steamed clams i ever got was in france... despite my dad trying to imitate...
- The best fried Calamari and roast Lamb that i ever got was in Greece...
- the best Schnitzel: Germany

We've had the best quality... there's nothing snobby about it... unless you outright say that it was disgusting... then that's where it gets snobby...  

Pnytenshi

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:55 am
I still feel I'm a bit odd-in-taste though; I really shouldn't care so much about how the food is prepared as long as it tastes good. To many people the way they prepare things do taste good. But it's not like I'm a judge of all taste so having such weird opinions about food/drink prep is weird.

Oh! It's not that I cringe when people drink liquors mixed, but I cringe when people drink an alcoholic beverage to get drunk and use the mixed concoction not because it tastes good but to make it easier to drink down.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:37 pm
@Pny - Lucky... It'd love to visit Italy and Germany...

@Lin - Well, if you've ever drank something like Crystal Palace... You'd see WHY some people do that. After so long of drinking crap like that, it just becomes a habit.

Mind you, when I drink Jack Daniels, I mix it with coke just because it's easier to get down. I've had very bad experiences with Jack Daniels, and I can't drink it straight anymore. I CAN drink Crown Royal straight though... That's some good s**t.

When it comes to booze, I wanna try this:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Worlds most expensive Cognac. 1 million pounds ( Close to 2 million US dollars )

Quote:
1 MILLION POUNDS STERLING

" WORLD´S MOST EXPENSIVE BOTTLE "

4 KGS. PURE PLATINUM / YELLOW GOLD & 6,500 DIAMONDS

100 CL OF COGNAC GRANDE CHAMPAGNE + 100 YEARS OLD

AlcoholicPancake
Crew

3,100 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Voter 0

124-C

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:36 pm
I'll differentiate between foods, but if it's palatable I'll eat it. Your meatloaf example, for instance: I happen to like it with ketchup. Sure, I'll eat it without ketchup and enjoy it, but I still prefer it with ketchup.  
Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games