I will find you... on Gaia! :D 

Tags: friendship, events, hangout, literate, chatting 

Reply Community Lounge
High-Fat and High-Protein Food

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Preferred Camping/Backpacking/Traveling Food?
  Dehydrated Fruits/Meats/Veggies
  Pre-made MREs
  Jar of Peanut Butter
  Foraging
  Other
View Results

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:17 pm
I'm considering practicing a nutritional hardtack-like recipe that could be used as a dry item in a field ration pack (for camping trips, emergencies, and possible-future train rides). Here's what I'm thinking right now:

• Using a shortbread or shortcake recipe.
  • Substituting the (wheat) flour for a protein-rich alternative, or adding vital wheat gluten to add some protein, or substituting oatmeal and/or small nuts for the flour.
  • Incorporating either a liquid or powdered-solid multivitamin into the food.
  • Small dried foods like blueberries or cherries in the dough (shortbread), or dried meats and veggies (shortcake).
  • Use real butter, or a mix of real butter and a fattier (yet still healthy) fat.

Any thoughts? What are other items easy to make/pack?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:17 am
Not sure about the making part (I'm an atrocious and strictly-by-what-the-cookbook-says sort of cook on good days), but for camping trips, emergencies and long journeys in a controlled and closed-off environment, I usually pack a ton of cereal bars, plain bread and some chocolate. Sometimes, there'll be packets of dried fruit and biscuits, though I tend to refrain from bringing biscuits because I'm careless with my belongings, so they just get crushed.

sweatdrop My diet isn't particularly varied or good. Your thoughts sound promising though. :]  

Omochii

Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff