Reply Community Lounge
People Should Help Me With My New Year's Resolution

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Liltweet_gal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:08 pm
So here's the story. My friend and I went to a sci-fi convention in november, and obviously a LOT of people played Dungeons and Dragons. At first, we didn't really want to play. But on the last day, there was a game that we wanted to go to, so that we could see how to play it. Somehow the game never happened....Since then, we have wanted to learn to play D&D, but we need the rulebooks, and some people who have played it before. There's no one we know who know how to play it. In the end, we have decided to make it our new year's resolution to start learning how to play it....

The point is, does anyone know how to play D&D?

Discussion points-
-Have you ever played D&D?
-If so, do you like it?
-A nerdy game?
-D&D stereotypes
-Other things....  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:47 pm
I would hit up game stores that cater to that sort of thing. Many have groups that play regularly and are willing to help people get started...  

124-C

Erverain

Enduring Loiterer

24,975 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:58 pm
Are you going for 3.5 edition or 4th? I have the splat books for 3.5 if you want them...
(For those not acquainted with the term, "splat books" refer to books not included in the core set of rules. The core rule books, in this case the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and the Monster Manual, are the only three that you really need to play the game. Splat books are just modifications available to the core rules, so you don't have to figure it out for yourself if you want some variety in the game.)
...Funny how the parenthetical is longer than the actual statement...  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:47 am
I wish to learn to play D&D as well  

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:07 am
I would help, but I have zero knowledge or resources on the subject. Like cards, this is something that I have more fun watching than actually doing. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:08 am
    I played D&D with some friends when I was in high school. My friends enjoyed it more than I did, though. I didn't always take it so seriously and sometimes got my friends to goof off with me.... Ooooh how the DM would get aggravated...and yet amused.... Good times.

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:27 am
sweatdrop *Sudders* I had a bad experience with D&D. I love roleplaying and all but...my ex and his whole family were super into D&D. To an absurd and unhealthy degree I think. When he was in the mental hospital, I spent a night at his house so that his mom would take me to visit him the next day. All she could talk about was the coat of arms that a friend of hers made for her character and what she was planning to do at the next session. I really didn't give two shits because...her son, my boyfriend at the time, was in a friggin mental hospital, but she kept talking about D&D like it was the most important thing ever.

D&D, or at least the sessions I attended included about 5 straight hours of totalling up experience points and adding bonuses to characters before the actual "Game" started. And the game involved about 5 hours of me staring blankly at everyone and saying, "Uh...so what dice should I roll now?"

Maybe they're not all like that, but I'll take relaxed, off the cuff, fun roleplay over strict, tedious roleplay anyday.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:35 pm
Well, I'm uploading the splat books right now, and they'll be ready in about two hours. I'll edit in a link when they're done.
Also, you'll need a PDF reader and WinRAR or similar archive reader. File size is 843.64 MB, so be prepared for it to take a while.
EDIT: Here it is.  

Erverain

Enduring Loiterer

24,975 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100

Liltweet_gal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:59 pm
Erverain
Well, I'm uploading the splat books right now, and they'll be ready in about two hours. I'll edit in a link when they're done.
Also, you'll need a PDF reader and WinRAR or similar archive reader. File size is 843.64 MB, so be prepared for it to take a while.
EDIT: Here it is.

thanks...i think i'm gonna look at it later though...  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:54 pm
waittt....how do i get it to download? this site confuses me  

Liltweet_gal

124-C

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:16 pm
User Image  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:20 pm
hmmm... never played D&D much... last time i played it.. i got my chars nuts bitten off by a dragon.... ironically.. it was a gag thing that my Buddie put into the game... (4 years prier!!!)

i guess im just that unlucky sweatdrop  

Agent_of_Misfortune

TieselGirl09

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:43 am
I've have a mate play D&D before smile
It's quite cool apparently.
He has all the book's and stuff.
He got them from a game store here.
I would advise looking in game store's or look it up on Google or something.

If that's any help.

Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff