View Results

Skorndrick

Gracious Prophet

4,750 Points
  • Married 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:31 am
Yeah, I've noticed Shun has problems wit hthat. And he can't understand some things at all, like, about our cultures. When it was Halloween, we had to explain to im how Halloween works. It was cute- he said "How you do this "Trick-or-treat thing"?" So we had to explain to him about it. I still don't think he got it...he was scared to go trickortreating with us!  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:41 pm
vrgnBlu
Actually, Taeryyn, English is supposedly the hardest to learn. I knwo a Japanese exchange student who finds English harder to learn than Spanish, because he's taking both. and I am bilingual, so...yeah...

Did you know that he bible was once tranlated so terribly they re-did it? This king named Roger...I'm not sure which country he was from, but he wanted a tranlation of the bible, and when he got it it made no snese compared ot his other bibles, so they had it redone. I don't remeber where I heard that orm...I think from my dad...

Key word being "supposedly"...

It depends on your mother tongue, the resources that are available to you, your age...the list goes on. Learning a language as an infant or a child is not comparable to learning a language as an adult.

There's an entire Foreign Languages guild on Gaia, and many of the regulars have made linguistics their life's work. : ) You might find it interesting to talk to some of them.

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Trish the Stalker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:21 pm
God-Raped-Me
User Image

English IS hard to learn but it's not the hardest. I don't know what would be the hardest language to learn, it depends on each person.

English is exceptionally hard for people of the orient to learn because they don't use past tense like we do and they don't have conjunctions such as is, and, or, and they. Also they don't understand contractions such as aren't, isn't, she's, can't and so on.
User Image

English is one of the hardest, if not the hardest language to learn. This is based on how long it takes the average speaker to learn to speak and how long it takes to become fluent in a language.

And I don't know about other Asian languages but Japanese has past and present/future tenses (desu/deshita). There also ARE words for is (desu), and (ya/toka), or, and they (the last two I've forgotten).

-Formerly La Belle Isolde-

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:36 am
invisible-weirdo
Re: Dreams- Um....they could just be because you've been thinking about mythological creatures waaaaay too much also >.>
[/useless edit]

It's been scientifically proven that the stuff you think about 20 minutes before you fall asleep is the stuff you dream about all night. I don't currently have any sources, but I can dig them up.
Anyway, I got here too late to say anything about the original OP because it's been edited. What I can say is that I've never heard of selkies, and that by my understanding, most myths/gods/fantastic creatures are based off of animals/things in real life. Back when there was no science or record-keeping and understanding topics was not as encouraged as it is now, people had only word-of-mouth, which has been proven by the telephone game not to work. So, bigass snakes become dragons through extrapolation between conversations and translation.

Re: English, I have no idea. I ******** love French and Spanish (though I wantto learn Spain Spanish, not Mexican or Cuban xp .) I do know that living languages are difficult because they're always changing, and that English references both living and dead languages, from all over the world. It makes sense that it would be hard to learn, but I don't know if I could say "the hardest."

You don't even know how bad I wish I could be a mermaid.  

The Dinosaur Next Door

light mother 5

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:00 am
4laugh skin walkers are like body thieves...  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:56 am
Then selkies = pod people? :O  

The Dinosaur Next Door

Crevan_Karasu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:11 am
My FRIEnd BOUGht SOMe BOOks THAt ARe WITCh BOOks. ONe Of THEm Is A WITch ENCYCLopedia and ANOTher A CREAtures ONe. SO THOse HAve SOMe STOries.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:10 pm
Mythology RULES!!!  

MadBlasta

Desirable Sex Symbol

Shibaken

Lazy Werewolf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:16 pm
Crevan_Karasu
My FRIEnd BOUGht SOMe BOOks THAt ARe WITCh BOOks. ONe Of THEm Is A WITch ENCYCLopedia and ANOTher A CREAtures ONe. SO THOse HAve SOMe STOries.

Can your friend buy you some books on how not to type like a moron? Random capital letters make you look stupid.

Mythology is fun to read, but it's when you take it as fact that makes it retarded. If you took every myth at face value, people would be afraid to eat watermelons for fear that they'd become vampires, anti-abortion groups would claim that politicians are using fetuses to turn them into an army of vampire fetuses, and PETA would be protesting in Africa to save a dinosaur.

Maria: What I got from skinwalkers is that they wear the skin of an animal and are able to transform into that animal. Like a werewolf that needs a recipe to transform. I could be wrong and if I am please correct me.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:16 am
Mythology? Damn! Their names are hard to memorize. But, if I were in a Mythology, I want to be a Valkyrie.  

Azirru

flavored pencils

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:10 pm
vampires, dracula, werewolves, santas, fairies  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:00 am
User Image

Wow, this has become a n00b magnet!
User Image

God-Raped-Me

Zombie1429

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:42 am
If I were to study any mythology i'd do so properly and over a two/three year period so I knew it properly. Also, i'd try and make sure no one came into contact with me in that time as one of the main problems with mythology is that if you have a shallow understanding of it then you only manage to sound like you're trying to be trendy or mysterious.

Then again, if you study it properly you sound pretentious instead.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:13 am
Stupid little n00bs...

Skinwalkers aren't what I was looking for, sorry...but still.  

Skorndrick

Gracious Prophet

4,750 Points
  • Married 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers