• 25-50% Baby Corn, minced

• 100% Spinach
  • Water
  • Butter
  • Egg Yolk
  • Cream or Milk
  • Salt, to taste
  • Pepper, to taste

Sauté the carrot, green onion, garlic, and baby corn in butter in a pot. Add enough water just slightly above covering (that is, add more than it takes to cover the vegetables in water). Bring to boil then reduce to about 75-60%. Add cream or milk to return to the level before reduction and heat until simmering. Remove from heat, then put in blender. Purée until smooth (or, to preference -- I like it smooth).

Take an egg yolk (or two, you'll have to adjust depending on amount of soup -- it's mainly to add a slight touch of flavour and to add some thickening) and whisk. Add a bit of cold cream and some of the now-puréed soup to the egg and whisk. Add egg to blender and immediately blend once again. Stop blender and add spinach. Blend again (I liked the spinach to not be so totally blended this time since I like seeing the specks of green). Return to pot and heat until desired warmth, then serve.

The result was a cream soup that, when I used milk, seemed light on the stomach and pleasant going down. The veggie flavours didn't overpower each other too much. It's one of those soups that could be eaten alone as a snack or paired with a sandwich -- perfect for light dinners or lunches.

While I wanted to keep the general lightness, I feel the flavour could be improved. I didn't have any spices (aside from salt and pepper) today so I didn't have much choice in the matter, but it still tasted delicious regardless. However, I'm not sure exactly what kind of spice would work for the soup. I really don't think anything strong or pungent would work well since it would probably overpower the ingredients a bit. The taste on the palate is creamy and sweet (in my opinion) and I would've wanted something to contrast with that. If not a spice, some form of grated cheese might have worked on top.

So... uh... discuss this soup, and any other recipes people made without referring to a cookbook recipe as a base.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:25 pm
Hm... a little fresh dill might be nice  

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:32 pm
Oooooooh... That would add just a bit of... gawds, why can't I think of the flavour of Dill right now... um... just add a tidge of sourness (or was it a sour-bitter type deal)?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:40 pm
Well... I *personally* don't find it all that bitter by itself. Maybe a little sharp...? However, mixed with the vinegar for pickles, it becomes more tart. I often like dill with steamed beans or carrots. smile  

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:42 pm
Ah, forgive me. I usually don't consider bitter a bad thing. *eats Bitter Gourds for pleasure*

But Dill might work pretty well, if only I can recall my taste memories...  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:47 pm
Oh, I don't find bitter unpleasant at all! I rather like it; I'm just not sure I'd classify dill that way by itself. smile  

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100

Liltweet_gal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:08 am
this thread made me want to cook something....but it's midnight and i have no ingrediants crying oh well....  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:14 am
Pepper. Eww.  

shiny dollar

Agent_of_Misfortune

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:14 am
hmmm... usually when dealing with alot of veggies... go with something earthy...

rosemary
thyme
ginger
garlic
bay leaves

i usually just go through my spice rack when cooking and smell everything... just to see how it would taste compared to what ever im cooking..  
Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games