Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:41 am
TeDdY_bEcHiA16
In my country scouts don´t even exist sweatdrop sad

Thank god my efforts have saved some people!

Thal; You are a traitor to humanity too! I can't believe it!  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:27 am
Sadly, I too was a girl scout.... It was one of the years where all you did was sell stuff. I quite. It sucked. Didn't lean a thing. But damn if some of those cookies aren't the best ever!  

Senryoske

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:08 am
Senryoske
Sadly, I too was a girl scout.... It was one of the years where all you did was sell stuff. I quite. It sucked. Didn't lean a thing. But damn if some of those cookies aren't the best ever!

They peddle drugs in the cookies! Don't let them deal in your hood!  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:29 am
Thaliat Everwood
I can make ninja stars out of frozen Thin Mints. That'll be my contibution to the Scout Wars! mrgreen

MMM, Thin Mint stars...

My mom had a penpal in Iowa who would periodically send us Girl Scout Cookies, they were so much more novel and interesting than Girl Guide cookies.

@Senryoske: It really does seem to depend on your leaders whether Guiding/Scouting is a total waste of time and energy or not. All of my leaders were really oldschool, and made sure we learned a wide variety of skills instead of just focusing on camping or crafts or fundraising or whatever. I know almost as much about wilderness survival as Bear Gryllis or whatever his name is, I know how to use power tools safely and effectively, and Sav will never be able to stop me because I know exactly which knots to tie so that he cannot escape....  

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:04 am
@Teddy: What country are you in? I thought most countries had SOME form of Scouting...

I was a Scout for a good long time; I went directly into Boy Scouts, which seems to have saved me from dropping out at an early age. (I don't know why, but Cub Scouts seems to burn people out more quickly.) I got my Eagle Scout badge, the Vigil honor in Order of the Arrow, was lodge chief (unwillingly; I really wanted to just do ceremonies [go, Meteu!]), and was program director at 2 summer camps, as well as staffing better than half a dozen "leadership training camps". You might say I like(d) the program a bit.

I still try to make it a point to buy a bunch of Girl Scout cookies each and every year, though I didn't see a single person selling them this year. I may have to stop by the local Council office to get some... ^_^  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:35 am
I was a girl scout for three years then me and best friend got kicked out because we would get off track during the meetings... THen our moms thought it would be a good idea to form our own troop. We did stuff more like boy scouts with the knot tieing and the camping. It was so much more fun! Me and my friend probablly still would have gotten kicked out if it hadn't been our moms running things...  

xMenollyx

Sparkly Prophet

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:30 pm
We had Girl Guides in our town (Sparks, Brownies, and Guides, anyway), and a really disorganized, unorthodox branch of Cub Scouts (although I think the actual Scouts program was more...normal. And disciplined.)

My brothers were in Cubs, and I'd go with them on hikes and whatnot. : ) The "leader" (who was effing crazy) showed us a lot of cool places that were off the beaten path.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:33 pm
Saverio C.
TeDdY_bEcHiA16

Traitor my a**, I was in it for the cookies. They had cookies! Cookies!!!! COOOOOKIESSSSSSSS!!!!!  

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Leader of the Penguins

Beloved Elder

7,350 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:37 pm
gawd i was in it. But the troop i was in was sooo kind to their own. u see they all lived in this tiny town that was like 10 miles away from where i lived. Ever time i came they would treat me like crap. I joined another troop after that but we didn't do anything so that's when i quit  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:55 pm
Um Girl Guides/Girl Scouts started because some girls decided they wanted in on all the fun the boys were having. Scouting is SUPPOSED to be all about learning a variety of skills and being a well-rounded person.

The best way to get the Pathfinders I worked with back home to take on a challenging task was to casually mention that the Scouts or Venturers did whatever it is the week before. Not wanting to be shown up by a bunch of stupid boys who needed lighter fluid to light a fire, they would suddenly be eager to do things like rock climbing, fundraising for a road trip through the Canadian Rockies, building and sleeping in shelters in the middle of February (-20 C, and everyone was warm and cozy in their shelters), cooking creatively over a campfire, sitting in on a town council meeting, etc.

@Ciel: Scouts Canada is generally disorganized and unorthodox. Then again, Guiding frequently ends up being about making crappy crafts and extending your home ec skills. As I said, it all depends on who the leaders are.

I have to say I strongly disagree with the new directions Guiding has been taking over the past 15-20 years ago. It used to be about traditions and values, about building a broad skill base and striving to make the world a better place, about building leadership skills and self respect. Now it's all about self esteem and arts and crafts and a bunch of junk that really doesn't matter. I feel so strongly about this that I allowed my membership to lapse about 6 or 7 years ago.  

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:53 pm
Even for Scouts, I think our branch of Cubs was pretty far off the beaten track. I don't think anyone ever got any badges (the leader probably thought that they shouldn't fight for the approval of "the man"), but most of the time they carved cub cars and made fires and wandered around the woods.

Our Guides were more dedicated, I think. A lot of the girls I knew who were in Guides had to do lots of volunteer work, had to learn orienteering, spent a lot of time camping and raising money for various things, etc. But then it just sort of fell apart...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:12 pm
Thaliat Everwood
Saverio C.
TeDdY_bEcHiA16

Traitor my a**, I was in it for the cookies. They had cookies! Cookies!!!! COOOOOKIESSSSSSSS!!!!!

We lost Thal to those monsters! Why girls? WHYYYYYYY!  

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items