Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:38 pm
Hello, ATG!

I'm taking part in one of those shave-your-head-for-cancer-research events at my college. I have to collect pledges and then on March 2.... chop chop buzz buzz! My hair is really long, I think I will donate it to something like Locks of Love to make wigs for kids who have lost their hair due to cancer treatments. I shaved my head about 4 and a half years ago, and it's about halfway down my back now. I figure I might as well give it to someone who might not have four years to spend growing their own.

Now my hair is a couple inches longer than it was in this photo (I'm the one with no beard... the bearded one is jimsheep, my brother) :
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Here are some of the reasons I want to do this:

My mom, who is a cancer survivor, and my friend Elaine, who survived two battles with cancer and lost the third when it suddenly reappeared last Feburary:

My Granny, who died of liver cancer in 1999:

My uncle, waiting for test results on the melanoma on his face:

My Grandpa (in the background... those kids are my mom and her niece) who died of lung cancer in 1992:

I'm also waiting for biopsy results for my leg tumor, the doctor is pretty sure it's benign, but is testing just to be certain.

So yeah, in memory of, and in the hopes of helping the people I love, I think this is something that I really have to do.

Discuss:

Have you ever done something outrageous for a good cause?
Have you ever shaved your head? Would you?
Am I insane?
What charitable causes are important to you?
Would you donate money to sponsor someone you knew IRL who was doing this?
Wild boars.
Incurable diseases
Tributes to dead friends and family members  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:49 pm
My school actually has something like that going on this Saturday. 'St. Baldricks Shaving the Way to Conquer Kids' Cancer'. Unfortunately, my hair is no longer long enough to donate to Locks of Love and I think my mental health would snap in half if I were to shave my head (I'm already semi-traumatized whenever I cut my hair >.>). I was planning on volunteering for the event, but unfortunately I have a family thing to go to that day.

Anyway, I think it's great that you're willing to do this, Kals ^.^ Yay for a cause!

invisible-weirdo

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:12 pm
Kudos, Kals. I don't think you're the least bit insane for doing this.

I've never done anything outrageous for a good cause. Shame on me. I've done the 40 hour famine a couple of times, and I participated in Shinearama each year I was in university, but that's the extent of my charity work.

I've always wanted to donate blood, but I'm not legally allowed to. =/ Ironic, since the only reason I'm alive today is because of blood donations.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:25 pm
I was going to donate my hair but I had dyed it recently at the time (it was down to my mid-back). Even when I signed up for the head shave they never told me where to take my pledges to or when to meet up for the shave so it never happened. Then I went shitnuts and chopped it to about 3 inches long because of personal issues. I'm now growing it out until I get married (so I have long princess hair) and only dying streaks in the front like on my bangs so the back stays untouched.

-Formerly La Belle Isolde-

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Trish the Stalker

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:56 pm
Locks of Love is now able to accept donations of coloured hair, FYI.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:19 am
Hey everyone!

So the head shaving event went off without a hitch. I now have two 12" pigtails detached from my head and ready to mail off to Locks of Love. I managed to raise $80 for the Canadian Cancer Society, including $5 from a friend in the US who used Paypal to send me the money!

A photo of three-day stubble on my head:

It's actually long enough to be soft, rather than prickly dad-beard type stubble.  

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

-Kandy_Cube-

Magic Girl

19,350 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:29 am
Awwww Kal Best of luck with your leg...

Ive shaved my head once .... MANY years ago.....

My father died of cancer in 2001 ... it was hard to handle ....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:38 am
Tomorrow I get to find out if I may be the one who ends up with one of those wonderful wigs.
-Formerly La Belle Isolde-

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Trish the Stalker

Liltweet_gal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:33 pm
There's this children's hospital that's near where i live that our school always does this huge fundraiser for. People go to an assembly and have their heads shaved if we raise a certain amount of money during the assembly.....literally during. Last year the prom queen and this guy with a huge afro got shaved. After the assembly people can get their hair cut for locks of love in the main office, and then there's a staff vs student all night basket ball game. students make teams and raise money for the hospital. It's fun. Next year when my hair is long enough i'm going to donate my hair to locks of love after the assembly.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:48 am
I've always wanted to do that, but somehow I never seem to get my hair long enough. xp The wigmakers here want you to have a full foot of hair before they shave it to make wigs... and If you say, "This is for cancer," they make it a special wig for a cancer patient.
You have renewed my interest in growing out my hair, Kals. I want to help someone...  

The Dinosaur Next Door

Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff