Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Questions and Assistance
Umm something happened to me and another member of the guild

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dasuna

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:24 pm
Okay Lorac1 and me have both had something weird happen to our accounts. Mine got hacked and I lost some stuff(Jackster clothing and my gunner clothes.) Lorac1 also lost some stuff like her glasses and some other stuff. So I asked around and apparently the same thing has happened with my friends and there friends. If anyone has some advice on how to get some gold so I can rebuy my stuff that would be great.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:10 pm
Hi, Artikist!

The first thing you and your friends will need to do is change your passwords. In order to make your account more secure, create a password that contains different types of characters and is difficult to guess. You should change your password monthly to really decrease your vulnerability to hacking.

Now, think about or go through your PMs. Did you send your password to anyone (maybe someone posing as a Gaia administrator)? If so, click the blue "Report" link under the PM in your inbox that asked for your password. Often, users whose items are stolen haven't been "hacked" per se, but rather users have inadvertently supplied scammers with their passwords. Also consider whether you told anyone else your password or if someone else (possibly a family member on a shared computer or another patron at a library computer) may have had access to your account if you failed to log out.

Next, you'll need to fill out this form to report the hacking. It will ask you for details about your account and anything you might know about the hacking incident. If you're confused by the form, this guide has some further instructions that may be of use.

In the meantime, you can earn gold in many ways, including playing games, posting, voting in polls, participating in contests, and buying and selling items in the marketplace. I would not, however, recommend setting up a begging thread in response to being hacked, as other users generally dismiss these; such threads are often created by members who have not been hacked and are simply looking for free items and gold.

Good luck restoring your account, and remember to keep your account secure in the future.

Misti (KittyKat62)
NSTG Vice Captain  

NSTG Treasurer
Crew

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:13 pm
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate...

If the incident happened within the last 30 days fill out a hacking report and hope for the best. Change your password as well and try to clear as many internet files from your com as possible. There are many ways that you can get hacked but the most common one is through password phishing. If your pass was acquired through a phisher it can easily be thwarted by changing your pass and never giving out your password to anyone on or off gaia. Now if said hacker installed some kind of spyware that monitors the passwords you enter then you will want to get rid of that piece of malware before you get hacked again. Finally the 3rd (and most unlikely) cause of your hacking could have been from a super hacker that can get around the 15 minute security ban period gaia has and use a random password generator to hack your account. This however is highly unlikely as someone with that kind of resources would probably not be on gaia at all. Just do the things listed above (and make sure that you change your password to a really hard-to-guess password) and you should be safe from hackers.

...The only thing to fear is failure.

☆ Questions and Assistance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff