Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Any Topic Guild

Back to Guilds

I will find you... on Gaia! :D 

Tags: friendship, events, hangout, literate, chatting 

Reply Community Lounge
I'm Married! (or it Feels that Way in a Good Way)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:04 am
My immediate family just moved out of the state, leaving me to be the only person in my family residing in I-swear-the-weather-is-bipolar Minnesota. Because I didn't want to move to Chicago, Illinois, I decided to live with a good friend of mine. We're both crazy artist-like people so this will be a very interesting experience.

Alack, however, that this will mean I'll be here even less than before. We're living quite ... Bohemian ... right now, and it's a fun (if not challenging) existence. We share a one-bedroom apartment with one bathroom so I have to occasionally look at breasts (*in queery shriek* Ewwwww...!). Not that it's a bad thing; I just get freaked out at surprise nakedness regardlessof gender. So far, our meals together alternate between glorified ramen (by that I mean adding a small sprig of cilantro, parsley, green onion, or an egg to ramen) and actual-made food by yours truly. I still need to find a job but I feel that having this place to myself will further motivate me to keep trying to get a job and haul @$$.

Our apartment is also really bare right now, but it's perfect for two Bohemian-like people like us. We have a record player with which to jam to Vivaldi or other classics and contemporaries, a small telly with bunny ears to get local telly, our computers (though it won't be used much in the house because of lack of Internet save for stolen Internet), and ourselves. Oh, and kitchen. Is it strange that the moment I stepped into the apartment (it's a little old, but refurbished old -- meaning the actual building is old but the insides are new) I wondered "What kind of yeasts would be in this place and would they be perfect for natural sourdough?" We have a library and gym just across the street, a Barnes and Noble a block away from that, a Used Book Store and Music store a small bus ride away, and all that.

So, ATG, what does it feel like to live with the people you live with?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:31 am
We have a messy house that my boyfriend and his brother own the mortgage on, my former tranny (but no longer wishing to be a woman) roommate from my old house moved into one of the two rooms the basement half of the house with the brother in the other one (there's a sort of basement suite) while me and my boyfriend have two upstairs rooms with the cat and the one unrented room. It's messy and unkept with a very uncomfortable couch. We have a TV which gets frequent mileage along with the DVD player where me and my boyfriend polish off many TV and anime series together. The kitchen is right next to the living room, and however disgusting the kitchen looks my boyfriend manages to concoct fantastic, salmonella-free meals in it. The walls are plastered in anime wall scrolls and fantasy posters and he has decorative swords all over the place. I love it!

-Formerly La Belle Isolde-

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Trish the Stalker

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:41 am
Anime wall scrolls and decorative swords? That sounds like a really crazy place (especially the kitchen). I'd fear that if we ever had a place like that I'd go absolutely crazy because of all the distractions. I can't stand bare walls and things like that, but with the various colours and different materials weapons and scrolls can provide I'd just never get anything done because my eyes would be drawn to something or other.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:50 am
Oh God it's soooo cluttered! Not that I like living Spartan but a little less stuff would be nice.

-Formerly La Belle Isolde-

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Trish the Stalker

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:59 am
I find that less-is-more works very well when trying to make a place to live more homely. I don't like Bauhaus-Spartan decor, but I like it to at least flow well and have a good sense of empty space.

Also, this is bad. I just took a walk and there are two bookstores, a thrift store, a bakery, and other things on the same street where I live. I'm doomed, doomed, doomed when I get out of my parents's mess...  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:35 am
I love on campus and really am feeling like I'm over the roommate thing for now. I like two of my roommates, one especially because I can actually talk to them. The other a little bit so, I mean we share some of the same interests. I get along with these two, the third roommate though, I can't stand. He's obnoxious and a hypocrite. He comes with the second roommate I mentioned.

Next semester I'm gonna be an RA so I don't have any roommates.

Xikrai the Risen

Dapper Reveler

1,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

Agent_of_Misfortune

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:58 pm
lol living with someone else can either be A) one of the greatest experiences of your life, or B) HEEEEEELLL!!!!!

i ironically got both of those when i moved into my apartment with my
brother...

we moved in with one of his friends that i never met before (until the day i moved in) turns out.... we share alot of the same interests, so me and him would sit up till the weeeeee little hours of the morning playing video games and watching tv... (turns out that after he moved out... he missed me.... so now were looking at apartments together for when his lease is up at the other place he is staying at whee )

on the other side.... was my brother.... neither one of us could stand him.... he is an absolute slob!, everything has to be done his way (which is usually the wrong way!) and he kept the air conditioner on ALL FREAKING YEAR!!!!! (he was the main reason the other guy moved out!)  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:28 pm
User Image

Living with someone who agrees with how you live and yadda yadda yadda is great! When you can just sit back, relax, and not have to worry about anything it's all good.

When you have others who don't live the way you do, it's total hell. GTR's father eats WAY too much. We like to do monthly shopping, and in the first week almost all of our food was gone! He ate almost a month's worth of food in a ******** week. So we have to try doing something else food wise. WHen we were living with GTR's grandmother... holy ******** hell was it horrible! She would tell me how the kids shouldn't be touching any of her s**t because they should "know better". It never crossed her mind ONCE that maybe since SHE invited us to live there that maybe she should out her s**t away. She wanted us to pay her AND clean her ******** house AND make her ******** dinner everynight. Her and GTR's aunt got pissed off at GTR one night because he didn't want to make them dinner, he had been for 3 weeks straight. Oh the reason they expected him to do it was because ONE night he did it because he wanted to.

Back to happy times though, GTR and I live together very well. We agree about almost everything when it comes to running a household.
User Image

God-Raped-Me

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:40 pm
For me it wound up being a disaster because I found myself way too many times getting caught up in the drama of my roommates. And when they broke up it just got worse. Actually, the male roommate didn't try to drag me in nearly as much as the female roommate. I think really it was the female roommate that was the problem...that and her apparent decision that paying rent was optional for her because she wasn't head of household. She screwed me over financially and it killed our friendship. Her daughter is an absolute doll and I'd do anything to help her out, a thing my former friend managed to take advantage of in excess. Oh, and said female roommate then had a new boyfriend who slept over almost constantly and was almost always around, and she left the place looking like it had just been ransacked. That girl was a walking health code violation. It was not a good living situation at all.

Nothing says I am easy to live with, but when I am head of household and I take up the least space and yet pay the most (not counting the little one, we all know they need lots of space to play in by default) there is something not right going on. So I have decided my next apartment/house will be only occupied by myself and my cat. Any possible future roommates are going to be found on Craig's List...if things go awry, it is easier to kick out strangers than friends.

I had a friend at work offer to get an apartment with me. But she has a little boy who is 6 years old, and I really didn't think that would work so well for me. We talked about it and agreed it probably wouldn't be the best choice. And, wow, we are still good friends! If not for the son, she'd be an awesome roommate...she's responsible, employed, and likes to keep her things tidy and in her space. We would have got on great.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:18 pm
I love my apartment.

It's in an old brick building on a street full of ...old brick & stone buildings. : ) It's a two-storey suite, has 10-foot ceilings, hardwood floors, crown & baseboard moulding, and fireplaces. (Bricked in, but they make nice additions to the rooms.) Really spacious; we have a large kitchen, a dining room, and a pretty big living rooms. My bedroom is the same size as a small bachelor apartment. x3 My roommates' rooms are more normal-sized, though.

Although I'm angry at one of them at the moment, I like my roommates a lot. I live with two girls (Melissa and Laurissa) and a guy named Steve. We jokingly refer to our place as the "happy homo household".

Melissa is 27, and works in a call centre for a large oil company. Laurissa, her girlfriend, is 19, and just got a job at a cafe. Steve is 26, and is working on a second degree as well as working at Tim Horton's full-time.

I've never lived somewhere that I've liked as much as this place. I'm within walking distance of everything; all the historic architecture in the city, the major bus routes, a wide variety of food, the city market, a shopping centre, and tons of weird little bookstores and cafes and record stores...I love it!

heart

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:31 am
The potential of liking the same guy or girl (>.>) aside (we don't really find an attraction to each other), I doubt my roommate and I would have any problems. The reason I say that is that we're complete opposites. She's like the yin to my yang (that's what she said), the wonderful speck of sea salt in really rich and good chocolate, the pat of cheddar on top of fresh-baked apple pie, and all that. She's a bit messy, yet a**l-retentive. I'm a bit of a neat freak, but I'm mellow and not too worried about things house-wise. She loves to talk, while I love to listen. How does this make us work? I'm not sure. I just think it will. We joke (often enough) that it's like we're married (she made breakfast one day, and I made dinner another day, and she made me lunch today).

I think another reason it would work out is we're quite comfortable talking with each other when a problem arises. So it's not like we do that whole silent-grudge thing. But it's only been less-than-a-week right now, so I can't really judge.  
Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games