Reply Community Lounge
Are you sure you want to eat that? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Agent_of_Misfortune

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:27 am
lol i never realized how bad my eating habits were until i moved out on my own... when i was living at my parents... i could always just grab a bag of chips when ever i wanted (i think i was one of those people who ate because they were bored)

but when i moved out all i could afford was ramen....

i lost 40lbs on the Broke as hell diet! mrgreen

and i ant neva goin back... i was always one of those people that didnt care about the way i looked... and i didnt care that i didnt care...

so now i hardly eat fast food, if i snack... its usually veggies, still dont work out... but i figure... HELL, I'M LAZY! xp  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:49 pm
i am a vegiterrian (or however you spell it). razz  

Noodle-67

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:39 am
1. You shouldn't be something you can't even spell correctly.

2. When I was about 12 years old, my mom suddenly started having major blood pressure problems, and my family had to cut sodium out of our cooking. Bye bye garlic salt, oxo-rice, prepackaged foods like fish sticks and chicken nuggets, table salt, and a load of other things! For the first month or so, everything tasted so bland and disgusting. Putting pepper on to compensate didn't really help, it just made things peppery. The "no salt" salt substitute hadn't been invented yet, or it hadn't been approved for use in Canada. In the first week, we all lost substantial amounts of weight just from shedding all the water that was being retained by the salt in our systems. After a few months, I realised that things like stew, veggies, potatoes, etc all had some very delicious flavours that were previously being masked by too much salt. I just had to train my palate to not want so much salt all the time, kind of like people have to train themselves to be able to eat spicy food. Restaurant gravy now tastes disgustingly salty to me, I've spent so many years eating the gravy made from meat drippings without adding any salt to it. So yeah I can see how people would be resistant to changing their eating habits even though it would be good for them.

3. As a child, I was not permitted to be a picky eater, and as a result, I am pretty adventurous with my food. I even try eating things I know I don't like once in a while (like brussels sprouts or ketchup on something other than a hotdog or hamburger) just to see if my tastes have changed. I won't go so far as to have ketchup on eggs though. The very smell of it makes me gag. Salsa is okay though.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:25 pm
I judge by taste and texture. Some textures, like that of non-spicy peppers, celery and lettuce, as well as meatloaf, are unbearable and I simply can't swallow it. Some flavors, mostly that of non-spicy peppers, green beans and similar, I can't stomache.

Everything else, though, I will eat and enjoy. I enjoy food in general, and find that a every food has a place. Fried rice and fried noodle dishes make good breakfasts on a cold day, for instance. Fruit is almost always my lunch. Most other fried stuff I can't be bothered to cook, because frying is a PITA, but if someone else makes it I'll gladly chow down. Potatoes make good side dishes and breakfasts, depending on how they're served. I can go on and on.

I figure I have only one life, and it's a short one, so I'm going to damn well enjoy it. this means I tend to use a lot of salt, butter, oils, red meats, etc. for cooking. "health risks" be damned. I season my food heavily, but still well enough that I can taste the actual food still. If I die because of what I eat, then I died because I lived my life to the fullest and I have no problem with that!

I've also found that it's actually cheaper to cook a good meal than it is to buy some pre-made crap. Ramen is an ingredient for me, not a meal. Right now I'm on a "cheese dish" kick, so lots of macaroniand cheese, calzones, chili, etc.  

lazycommie

Zombie1429

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:11 am
God-The-RapistV2.0
The problem is that they have created an association, just like you have, to their food being "good" and other foods being "bad." The veggies that they see are strange and unusual and they give no reaction in the brain pleasure center because they have been eating super flavor enhanced chemical foods (or even just over seasoned foods) for so long.

This is my understanding of eating habits, more often than not they appear to be learned and you see it in the way some foods can be classed, more often than not a poorer person will be intimidated by an oyster while a rich young lady will gag at the jelly in a pork pie.
Sometimes you might think you're being adventerous because you're trying food thats slightly outside of your comfort zone, but at the end of the day there is'nt a wild difference between french fries and curly fries.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:57 pm
Uhm I guess I a food snob. I'm really picky about what I eat. I like flavor, if something just tastes of one thing or just gets drowned in the flavor of spiciness I don't like it. And I hate it when fruit was obviously picked way too green. I do like to try things.

And I'm moving as far away from packaged things as I can. Which is not that hard since my mother has always cooked 99% of what we eat from scratch. I also don't like soda except for like 3 obscure kinds.

We almost always eat at the table together and chat about things. Dinner sometimes lasts an hour because of that. And it generally consists of fish or meat of some kind and various veggies, and rice or couscous depending. Desert usually is something we've baked. My sweet tooth actually has an aversion to most candy.
I'll eat a few marshmallows and have fudge or caramel, but for the most part I'll be happier with chocolate...dark chocolate.

And yes homemade whip cream rocks, and I like my salads with a little oil and some vinegar.
As for other people's bad eating habits. That really depends on them. Some are brought up on junky food and that is what they get used to. Others really don't care what they eat and or are not interested in cooking themselves and get used to eating package/restaurant food. There are so many reasons, but in the end they get used to things and have a hard time breaking old habits. And some things have addictive ingredient that make it harder.

Elcia

Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Catalog Cats

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:30 pm
A big part of it is the smell. If something smells tasty, I'll eat it. If it smells bad, I won't.

Some types of food have a sort of smell that gives me a headache. Probably sounds weird, but it's true. Those are the WORST. xp  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:59 pm
I was at a friends birthday party the other. Her little cousin had to hold his nose going past the food because if he so much as smelled it he would throw up.

A friend just sent me a link to this site: This Is Why You're Fat. Deep fried coca cola? Bacon ice cream? Who thinks up this stuff? Ewww... Baconnaise... Mind, I would cave for the giant kit kat.  

[ Terra ]

5,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200

Elcia

Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:12 am
ew ! Most of that stuff just looks nasty, and it sounds worst. I think the least nasty thing there was the deep fried grilled cheese but that's just over kill and the black pudding but again over kill! Who eats that stuff!

Oh wait they have the nastiest example of King Cake I've ever seen. But we buy a couple of those around Christmas and I eat most of the candied fruit off the top. And if they get too dry my mother makes some very sweet French toast out of them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:31 am
User Image
Bacon Ice cream is the best idea ever.

I have a recipe for it but I've never actually made it. Mostly because I don't want to have to churn it by hand (no machine) and that ice cream doesn't agree with me any more and I don't want to have to sit on the toilet for long periods of time.

--------------------------------------------

Art By: La Belle Isolde

God-The-RapistV2.0

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:32 pm
I want to try almost everything that's on that website Terra... I dunno I just love food so much I'll eat ANYTHING. Truth is, fat makes things taste good I'm not saying things HAVE to have fat to taste good but fatty foods do have a tendency to taste good. With that said... yeah I can't see myself limiting anything I eat, unless we're mixing meats with dessert type things like... chocolate covered bacon.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:10 pm
Noodle-67
i am a vegiterrian (or however you spell it). razz

Being a vegetarian isn't necessarily healthy either. It can cut out really important parts of your diet if you're not careful. This can be just as stupid as living off burgers.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
-Formerly La Belle Isolde-

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Trish the Stalker

Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces