Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:11 pm
The running plot in my RP What You're Wearing, has got me thinking about
The Coyote Road
It's a collection of trickster tales by various contemporary writers from all over. What I loved was the fact that the tales took place everywhere from modern day to a world that seemed inhabited by gods. The tricksters themselves played main characters that got themselves into trouble, conniving planners of plots that made poor innocent people's lives all topsy turvy, and even a few helpful side characters or at least they seem helpful.
Plus there is plenty of all the other things that make great reads, mystery, romance, a little horror, intrigue...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:58 am
Slightly Blue
Mm, books. heart

I thought that Dead Witch Walking, by Kim Harrison, was really good. It's the first book in the Hollows series. It's about Rachel Morgan, a witch working for the IS. (Inderland Security) When she quits, they send out a death threat on her. With the help of her new friends and partners, Ivy and Jenks, she works to get the death threat removed.

If you liked the first one you will love the next 6 books that follow. Rachel Morgan just gets deeper and deeper into stuff she really shouldn't. mrgreen heart
The 7 books in order:
Dead Witch Walking
The Good, The Bad, and The Undead
Every Which Way But Dead
A fistful of Charms
For a Few Demons More
The Outlaw Demon Wails
White Witch, Black Curse

YukiOfTheMightnightHour

5,200 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

JCWong

Phantom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:52 pm
I feel like I'm imposing in on this thread because I haven't even heard of most of the books in the other posts but I'll suggest some generic books I enjoy anyway. xd

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster - I'm not going to lie, it's a book read mostly by children, but what's intriguing about it is that the ideas and messages it conveys are really thought provoking and more intended for older people. Basically it's about a boy named Milo who receives this tollbooth on one dreary day that allows him to travel to places he's never gone before. That was a dreadful description... but it's one of my favorite books, I just don't have the capacity to describe it.

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult - "a novel about a young girl who sues her parents for the right to make her own decisions about how her body is used when a kidney transplant is planned in order to potentially save her older sister." (Wikipedia blaugh ) I really liked this one because I wasn't able to guess the ending and Picoult's painting of grief enveloped me completely.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne - I know it's a film now, but I highly enjoyed the book. It's about a nine year old boy named Bruno and his often amusing thoughts. He meets a Jewish boy named Shmuel through a fence, and they become great friends. He doesn't understand why all the people across the fence are wearing striped pajamas and the simplistic narration from Bruno is probably the most heart wrenching because he sees all of these horrible images but doesn't understand why it's happening.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff