Submit

Dawna Celeste

Dapper Dabbler

6,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:32 pm
I am NOT a car person, but trucks, oddly enough, seem to skirt the issue for me. Not that I'd like to drive any of those beasts though!
I can see why you're ripping the back seat out. From the look of it, it's tiny, and I've never met anyone who likes sitting in the back seat of a two-door. Way back when, in a place where pickups served as taxis and traffic cops were non-existent, I would insist on riding in the back, wind streaming through my hair, rather than be squashed in the normally overheated cab.
I think the fuzzy upholstery stuff you're talking about may be velour (if I spelled it right), it would be a good choice. After all, it's good enough for the President.
By the way: I don't drive, and riding in cars terrifies me for the same reason you don't like it. The bus is way underrated, especially the big long-distance ones where you're nearly as high as the big trucks, looking down on the little tiny cars.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:03 pm
Dawna Celeste
I am NOT a car person, but trucks, oddly enough, seem to skirt the issue for me. Not that I'd like to drive any of those beasts though!
I can see why you're ripping the back seat out. From the look of it, it's tiny, and I've never met anyone who likes sitting in the back seat of a two-door. Way back when, in a place where pickups served as taxis and traffic cops were non-existent, I would insist on riding in the back, wind streaming through my hair, rather than be squashed in the normally overheated cab.
I think the fuzzy upholstery stuff you're talking about may be velour (if I spelled it right), it would be a good choice. After all, it's good enough for the President.
By the way: I don't drive, and riding in cars terrifies me for the same reason you don't like it. The bus is way underrated, especially the big long-distance ones where you're nearly as high as the big trucks, looking down on the little tiny cars.

It handles very well compared to driving a car, really. It's less "squirrely" and tracks well. Mine pulls just a bit to the right, but that'll be fixed soon. It seems to turn very responsively and stop just right(not so fast to mess things up, not too slow).

Actually, in the state of Florida, you can legally ride in the back of a pickup truck. The law allowing it is there because of the large quantities of migrant workers who do just that.

The truck isn't tiny, but I agree with the whole "back seat" thing. It sucks to be stuck in the back of a two-door. I think i'll rip it out, replace it with a cooler, toilet(like the kind on a boat) and gun rack. The idea of having a toilet came to me the other night, when I figured since this is intended to be capable of being used for longer distances and such it would be a good idea to make it where all I have to do is pull over and climb into the back, instead of hunting for a place with restrooms.

Velour is awesome for a seat, since it doesn't get hot and sticky.  

lazycommie

Dawna Celeste

Dapper Dabbler

6,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:31 pm
lazycommie
Dawna Celeste

It handles very well compared to driving a car, really. It's less "squirrely" and tracks well. Mine pulls just a bit to the right, but that'll be fixed soon. It seems to turn very responsively and stop just right(not so fast to mess things up, not too slow).

Actually, in the state of Florida, you can legally ride in the back of a pickup truck. The law allowing it is there because of the large quantities of migrant workers who do just that.

The truck isn't tiny, but I agree with the whole "back seat" thing. It sucks to be stuck in the back of a two-door. I think i'll rip it out, replace it with a cooler, toilet(like the kind on a boat) and gun rack. The idea of having a toilet came to me the other night, when I figured since this is intended to be capable of being used for longer distances and such it would be a good idea to make it where all I have to do is pull over and climb into the back, instead of hunting for a place with restrooms.

I wasn't saying the truck was tiny (it's not!), I was saying the back-seat space looks way too small for comfort. I'm not sure what your choice of replacements says about you, but it conjures some amusing images.
The place I was referring to is the Sinai...come to think of it, I'm not sure if there is anything against riding in the back of a truck in Egypt, but if there is, it was never enforced. Some of the "taxis" even had rugs and cushions in the back, as most people liked to sit there. My mother, of course, insisted on sitting in the cab and worrying about me.
Hmm, I just remembered that it's also legal to ride in the back of a truck in Hawaii... I never got a chance at that there though, and with the state of the roads, I don't think I'd enjoy it much.
Another point for velour is that it's not slippery, which is why it's what the seats are covered in in the Beast (the President's car-tank-thing). Although I hope you won't be trying any of the bizarre movement stunts that thing can pull...  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:36 pm
Dawna Celeste
lazycommie
Dawna Celeste

I wasn't saying the truck was tiny (it's not!), I was saying the back-seat space looks way too small for comfort. I'm not sure what your choice of replacements says about you, but it conjures some amusing images.
The place I was referring to is the Sinai...come to think of it, I'm not sure if there is anything against riding in the back of a truck in Egypt, but if there is, it was never enforced. Some of the "taxis" even had rugs and cushions in the back, as most people liked to sit there. My mother, of course, insisted on sitting in the cab and worrying about me.
Hmm, I just remembered that it's also legal to ride in the back of a truck in Hawaii... I never got a chance at that there though, and with the state of the roads, I don't think I'd enjoy it much.
Another point for velour is that it's not slippery, which is why it's what the seats are covered in in the Beast (the President's car-tank-thing). Although I hope you won't be trying any of the bizarre movement stunts that thing can pull...

I was also talking about the back seat. There's a ton of leg room back there. Enough that I could comfortably put a toilet, 12v cooler or minifridge and suitably large gun rack that could hold my...choices...of arms.  

lazycommie

Dawna Celeste

Dapper Dabbler

6,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:41 pm
lazycommie
Dawna Celeste
lazycommie
Dawna Celeste

I was also talking about the back seat. There's a ton of leg room back there. Enough that I could comfortably put a toilet, 12v cooler or minifridge and suitably large gun rack that could hold my...choices...of arms.
Well, if you must make road trips, that's the way to do it. I have done enough cooler-loading for a lifetime...give me a minifridge any day! The toilet would be convenient, and considering the state of some rest-stop toilets...yeah, very useful. As for the gun racks...no comment.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:54 pm
Dawna Celeste
lazycommie
Dawna Celeste
lazycommie
Dawna Celeste

Well, if you must make road trips, that's the way to do it. I have done enough cooler-loading for a lifetime...give me a minifridge any day! The toilet would be convenient, and considering the state of some rest-stop toilets...yeah, very useful. As for the gun racks...no comment.

I like road trips, a lot, but I hate having to deal with rest stops and the like.

A 12v cooler is basically just a top opening minifridge. They use them on boats that are too small for fridges and the like.

The gun racks are because I'm a gun nut, and very proud of it, and need a means to carry my guns to and from the range. It would also need to be a very large rack, since the Mosin is quite long. My ma won't let me mount a 20mm on the back of the truck, though. sad  

lazycommie

Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces