Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

124-C

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:40 am
^^Psycha^^
Kyla_Ewens
Pogs. Dear lord I miss pogs. They were cheap, so pretty much any kid could afford a good slammer and a few pogs. I always loved those simple fads that anybody could easily get into.
They sold pogs in the USA? Here in mexico they came in the bag of chips, wow

Yeah, there was even a store in the local mall that only sold pogs and baseball cards.

@Sanzo — How do you pronounce Nochistclan?  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:57 am
    I had a "pog maker" thing. I could draw pictures and stamp them onto a blank pog....

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

Dawna Celeste

Dapper Dabbler

6,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:36 pm
Pogs are still around, and they still come in bags of crisps in some parts of the "civilized" world. I have an old mint tin of them from Israel...  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:17 pm
124-C
^^Psycha^^
Kyla_Ewens
Pogs. Dear lord I miss pogs. They were cheap, so pretty much any kid could afford a good slammer and a few pogs. I always loved those simple fads that anybody could easily get into.
They sold pogs in the USA? Here in mexico they came in the bag of chips, wow

Yeah, there was even a store in the local mall that only sold pogs and baseball cards.

@Sanzo — How do you pronounce Nochistclan?

^^Psycha^^

6,150 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

LishaKitty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:56 am
Ye gads....

I miss the old Voltron series. I miss most of the Transformer series. Both bring back fond memories for me. My best friend and I would do our best to see if we could draw the Voltron Lions. *grins sheepishly*

I turned out better at drawing the Lions, she was far better at drawing the people.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:47 am
Hmm, what do I miss about the 90s? This might be a bit long...

Toys
I had pogs, but I never really got the point of them. I just had them because they were cheap and everyone else had them. Tamagotchis were "in" when I was in grade 6, and I loved mine to death. ^^ I kind of remember people having large collections of trolls, too.
I am still a huge fan of several SNES & N64 games.

TV
I loved, and still love, Saved by the Bell. Zack Morris. heart I also really liked the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. x3 At the call centre where I work, it's not uncommon for random agents to randomly start singing the theme song, and then be joined by almost everyone sitting around them. I'm quite sure the supervisors question our sanity at times...
My mother watched the OJ Simpson trial and followed the Jon Benet Ramsay case. x_X For weeks at a time.
As for cartoons, I liked TMNT, Rocko's Modern Life, Ducktails/Tailspin, Animaniacs, Doug, Tiny Toons, Captain Planet, Gargoyles, Cro, Rugrats, PepperAnn, XMen, and Reboot.

Also, remember the old Canadian Sesame Street? With the bear and the otter?

Music
Some music, like Nirvana, Green Day, Weezer, Reel Big Fish, and Our Lady Peace, I didn't actually come to appreciate until after the 90s were over. (To be fair, I was like...8 when Cobain died)
Mostly the music I listened to in the 90s was bad mass-produced pop. x3 But hey, it was catchy.
Ace of Bass. I never really cared for the Backstreet Boys, although I did kind of like N*Sync. The Spice Girls. All Saints. Aqua. S-Club 7. The Moffatts. Christina Aguilera. B*Witched. 5ive.

Fashion?
I was a kid. I wore jeans or cords or shorts, and teeshirts or sweaters. : s I remember tear-away pants were popular, in my school anyway. Bell-bottoms for girls. Khakis. In the early 90s, most of my classmates had bowl-cuts or huge bangs. x3

Other
I remember playing with other kids in the neighbourhood. One of our favourite things to play was Man-Hunt, which was essentially hide-and-seek mixed with tag, but played on a larger scale. x3 There would be anywhere from 6 to 15 kids playing (always after dark), and the idea was to go hide somewhere in town and then try and make it back to home base without being caught by your opponent(s).

As long as we were home before 10, it was all good. x3 I just looked up Manhunt on wikipedia, and it calls it an urban game. I can't imagine playing Manhunt in a city, and certainly not as a kid. : s Between traffic and crime...it just wouldn't have been safe.

Also, Gen X? I remember it being used all the time in commercials.

It's not that I particularly liked the 90s, but that was the decade during which I was a kid. I don't remember the 80s, and the 2000s mostly consisted of high-school and lot of bad times. I've only been alive for two decades, after all. x3

Phew. I think I'm done. sweatdrop

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Erverain

Enduring Loiterer

24,975 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:39 am
What I miss most, I suppose, is the higher quality of television programming. But that could just be the nostalgia talking. All I know is that Batman: the Animated Series, Gargoyles, the Thundercats, Superman: the Animated Series, the first (and ONLY the first) season of Power Rangers were all awesome. At least to a 12-year-old.
Also, the SNES is still an awesome console. Ours still works after over a decade of practically continuous use. Same with the NES. Most underrated game for it is probably Earthworm Jim 2. That was an awesomely weird game.
And decently durable action figures! Whatever happened to them? How can you have epic battles across completely different genres of action figure if their arms keep coming off, or they lose a leg?
On a side note, that brings to mind the old He-Man cartoon. Skeletor could probably give Mumm-ra a run for the "most competent villain" award.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:11 am
Definitely compare the durability of the NES and SNES (hell, even the N64) to the durability of, say...

...an Xbox. lol

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

invisible-weirdo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:02 pm
You mean a 360, right?
Cuz, in terms of physical durability...the original Xbox seems able to take quite a bit of abuse.

*Just wanted an excuse to share the vid sweatdrop *

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:31 pm
I... have no idea what pogs are, but I do remember Lincoln Logs. Those were the bomb and so much fun to play with.

I also remember, in first/second grade, we had the old Apple/Macintosh computers with the tiny screens and big monitors that had pixelized font we used to play Oregon Trail on. We had to solve math problems in order to get the wagon going.

@Tae: Since you mentioned games, I remember being over at a neighbor's house and playing is SEGA games. Y'know, like a GameboyAdvance: it was all handheld and I would play Sonic on it.

With TV shows, I used to watch America's Most Wanted. Well.. my parents made me watch it so I knew what sort of bad people were out there and I remember getting so scared they would come after to me. Especially when they did reports about people from my city. I would have nightmares, thinking the would come to get me. xd

Chexley

1,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

invisible-weirdo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:42 pm
OMG OREGON TRAIL.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:49 pm
I remember when that was one of the coolest game around. I still wish I hadn't updated my computer just so I can play it again.

I know Twister was a fun a** game to play. Now, as I'm older, that's just asking to be placed in unappropiate positions. xd I wonder if anybody remembers that marble game called Mancala?

Chexley

1,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

124-C

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:44 pm
Pogs were these little cardboard discs that you stacked and threw a heavier disc (called a "Slammer") at the stack in hopes of flipping the pogs over. Any pogs that were flipped were kept by the player that flipped them and the remaining ones were restacked. The next player then threw. When no pogs remained in the stack, the person with the most wins.

Twister is fun for all ages. biggrin

I still, occasionally, get schooled by my computer playing mancala... Well, maybe not mancala, but certainly backgammon.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:06 pm
invisible-weirdo
OMG OREGON TRAIL.

...A little less exciting when you live at the end of it... rofl  

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100

Chexley

1,850 Points