Church Vitas Fingo

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:27 pm
User Image

I was thinking last night, as I usually do when I'm awake alone, and I got to thinking about how people take loads of ideas, fads, morals, and information in general from movies. They take so much from movies/books, I'm using books too because I don't know what movies are taken from books or not only that most movies are from a book, that they start to use ideas in real life.

This bothers me.

I dislike when people take something in life and use something taken from a movie/book. Such as making a religion out of it. Scientology and Jedisim are examples. People even use terms like "living in the matrix" or "Living in Oz" If there is actually a place called Oz and you live there then by all means! But s**t like that really pisses me off. This made me think about how stupid people can really be, and thinking of a grouping of stupid people made me think about religions.

Well didn't I have a collision of an idea in my head! I'll put the two ******** together! I will call it the Church Vitas Fingo! If you want to know what it means, look it up. In this church of mine, people will worship, if you will, movie directors and authors. The bible will be a s**t load of different parts taken from movies and books. People can connect with whatever movie they associate best with.

I want to know what you think ATG. Do you like the idea? Is it a good idea? Did it make you laugh at all? Did you learn anything from this? Do you like what I named the church? Fitting? GTR loved this idea because he though it would be good for people. Maybe I don't see it as good because I feel as if I'm making fun of society and religions all at once and the idea came to me through hating groups of people and what people will cling to. However I kind of want to go through with this idea and see how people will react if they will follow it, and how "faithful" they'll be. That's probably just my desire to experiment with anything I possibly can though.

One last question. Say I go through with this, anyone interested in helping?
User Image

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:58 pm
My Latin is not particularly good but I think Vitas Fingo means Life Touch/ to touch life. If I translated it right, it does seem fitting.

I found this funny, but the idea of a pop culture religion isn't too far fetched. I mean, look at all the people obsessed with reality TV and American Idol. Even my coworkers talk about TV show characters like they are real people. It is a bit much.  

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:57 am
It's a good idea for the people who would prefer to be spoon-fed one's values. As Thallie said people do things like this all the time.

Not saying that all things in popular culture are inherently bad; Jedi values, if actually thought about, parallel quite a few values of other religious thought. It's just bad when people don't think about why they believe it -- and "because said so" isn't a good enough reason.  
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:59 pm
User Image

Fingo also means something else, I'm using the other meaning for my church.

I think I find it ridiculous that no one else sees how stupid a church like that sounds. GTR thought it was a good idea, so did his dad, and even people here find it a good idea.

I don't know if I could handle being around the people my church is aimed at.
User Image

God-Raped-Me

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:05 pm
I am an old ATG member =]

I'm agnostic.. but I'd help if I have a chance at any point in time..

Click here to PM Me regarding ATG.
Captain Shram has answered your thread

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:11 pm
God-Raped-Me

I think I find it ridiculous that no one else sees how stupid a church like that sounds.

Actually, I tend to feel that way about most churches where people feel inclined to believe whatever is shoved down their throats with out question. But then again, I just described most churches and cults.

This is why I practice my faith on my own. I'm not going to let other people tell me how to believe, think, and act. I'll do that for myself, thank you very much.  

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items