Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Any Topic Guild

Back to Guilds

I will find you... on Gaia! :D 

Tags: friendship, events, hangout, literate, chatting 

Reply Community Lounge
[ Tech ] What Ever Happened To Docking Stations?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:12 am
I realise that they were never that big of a thing when they first came out, but I think that there could be usage for Docking Stations again thanks to the new technologies that are around now. They could be revamped like so:

Computers will all come in a Netbook form with a docking station (the Netbook, for people unfamiliar, is a lightweight ultraportable notebook, usually with no optical drive but usually a media card reader, utilised for light computer work and optimised for wireless Internet activities). One can bring the Netbook around and use it like one would use a regular laptop.

The docking station, however, would house a separate processor, graphics processor, memory, and possibly hard disk from the Netbook (which, by itself, would normally have an ultra-low-voltage lower-powered processor and a basic graphics card). When the netbook is docked, the operating system on the Netbook can then utilise both processors (though the netbook processor would be the secondary one since the docking station's processor would be better), both graphics cards (thanks to SLI technology), the memory from the netbook and the dock, and will sync the netbook's files with the larger hard disk of the docking station. The docking station could also hold extra ports and a display output so, when the netbook is docked, one can use an external screen and keyboard and mouse.

I don't know, just a thought. It sounds like it can be a good idea since it'll save on the number of computers one has in the house and (theoretically) means that each person only has one computer to take care of.  
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:29 am
User Image
I like that idea. It gives portability with the ability to instantly "upgrade" your system when at a home or office.

You should patent it before someone steals it. You could be RICH. I'm not even joking that is one the best ideas I have ever heard. Little bit of a suggestion though: Cup holders, everything sells better with cup holders.

--------------------------------------------

Art By: Trish the Stalker

"What you don't seem to understand is that I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me." - Rorschach

God-The-RapistV2.0

Agent_of_Misfortune

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:30 pm
Portable computers with cup holders?????

Ill take 500!!!

But seriously... i like the idea... run with it... worst case scenario... you get shot down...and your back to where you are now... best case scenario... you make it BIG!!!!  
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:54 pm
I like the idea...but I hate netbooks, they are too small for my liking. I like the bigger screen laptops. So could the docking station be designed for both types of portable computers? (or not make the netbooks have such puny screens) Then I'd totally buy one!  

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:08 pm
o_o This is such a good idea.

I know I wouldn't want to buy two separate computers, but I would probably be inclined to spend a bit more for a machine that had the capability of both an eee pc and a desktop.  
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:09 pm
I assumed that it could work with any sized laptop, but the Netbook seemed to make the most sense in my head. Then again, I'm biased and love my Netbook to death. It just isn't the most powerful system, however, and I sometimes miss playing Phantasy Star Online or other graphic-intensive games.

Briefly and lightly looking through the patents I can find in the United States, it seems Hitachi, HP, and others have already released patents too similar to this idea, but only to docking stations with external graphics processors. Sad... the idea exists but nobody goes and tries to use it. Maybe  

Sentama Lin

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:51 am
I wonder if it would be cheaper to just buy a real laptop razz

I am unsure how computers work, but it would be hard to make a docking station that would be able to power up a computers from different companies. I guess it could work with stuff like an external harddrive, but I know having two graphic cards hooked up to one system is a bad idea  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:31 pm
Hah, Sav. It most definitely would be (after all, with a "real" laptop you'd only need to buy one thing, and with something like this you'd need to purchase the system and the nifty dock). However, I think there's some advantage of a computer capable of being ultraportable, but becoming just as powerful as a desktop computer (well... not as powerful, but close enough) when at home or at the office. As for the different companies, I have no doubts that if people who have these docking station patents actually make something similar to this idea, there will be no set standard.

The two graphics card problem has been solved by SLI, but the technology has only really been implemented in the Motherboard level -- not really a portable-dock kind of level. The only way that I can see it working is if motherboards implement a kind of SLI for two motherboards, making a connection bridge to allow two motherboards to share its resources with each other (SLI, as far as I know, only shares processing power with GPUs, not dedicated memory, but I'm not sure).  

Sentama Lin

King 0wl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:39 am
See: Powerbook Duo.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:06 am
The Powerbook Duo from Apple is an example of this in action. It had a more powerful GPU to power the system, a floating point unit to do better math calculations, a larger hard disk, some more RAM, and extended the ports. Unfortunately, there hasn't been any computer manufacturers lately to do this.

I suppose I can see why: making a system like that could severely cut into desktop sales from the average consumer. I don't doubt the gamers will still make their own systems (it's the only way to get a really good graphics experience, IMO, unless one wants to pay exorbitant prices), but if something like this existed there would be little reason for the average person to grab a desktop and a laptop.  

Sentama Lin

Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff