I will find you... on Gaia! :D 

Tags: friendship, events, hangout, literate, chatting 

Reply Community Lounge
Does it always have to be turned into a movie?! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

If they turned "Goodnight Moon" into a 3 hour epic film...
  I'd be psyched! I loved Goodnight Moon! I wanna see it as a movie!
  O_O For the love of god NO! It's supposed to be a SIMPLE story!! Not a movie!
  Might make a good movie...but they'd have to stay true to the original material
View Results

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:42 pm
I agree, and was mildly annoyed with the tweaks, though they made sense within the constricted "alternate universe" of the movies. However... I can also understand; it's a pretty long movie even without the World Cup play. wink

EDIT: And then there's the absolute butchery done to The Seeker... stressed  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:21 pm
Honestly though, if they made twice as many Harry Potter movies just to be more accurate to the books....I would totally go see them all. xp The books are really long, and I feel like the more recent movies have felt a little rushed. I know it must be a chore for them to sort out what to keep and leave out buuuuut..... xd I wouldn't care if they made a couple of those movies two parters.  

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:27 pm
Here's a couple illustrations from the book: Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs

User Image User Image  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:32 pm
Kyla_Ewens
Honestly though, if they made twice as many Harry Potter movies just to be more accurate to the books....I would totally go see them all. xp The books are really long, and I feel like the more recent movies have felt a little rushed. I know it must be a chore for them to sort out what to keep and leave out buuuuut..... xd I wouldn't care if they made a couple of those movies two parters.

I wouldn't, either, honestly, but you must admit it's only the hard-core that will go for the 4-plus hour movies. (That being said, I LOVE my Director's Cut versions of the LOTR movies... and am drooling for the Director's Cut of Watchmen...)

And I'm cautiously optimistic about Where The Wild Things Are... mrgreen  

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100

Elcia

Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:17 pm
Well sure they can deviate from the originals without making things suck. It depends on the individual details.

For instance, LOTR:
Fine: cut out the Barrow downs and Bombadil
Not fine: The blood book tells us when Éowyn and Faramir are kissing in the garden that their hair is gold and raven respectivly. Would it really have been so hard to make his hair a little darker.><
Actually that's trivial... the directors cut kills off Saruman, now how can they make and extral mini film about the scourging of the Shire?
And I think if they where going to send elves to Helms deep they could have made it Arwen's brothers and the rest of the rangers, bringing Aragorn the flag Arwen made for him. I mean at least that happened..its the little things they could have done to keep things true without wasting time.

The Coraline movie was lovely. After reading the book I think Wybee was not really nesseary but I'm not complaining either it was too lovely and made it a little more child friendly for something kids are going to be watching at late hours in darkened rooms.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:19 pm
Ahem.

Jumanji.

That is all.  

Indigo Project

XxDarkMalicexX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:58 am
Kyla_Ewens
Here's a good example: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is one of my favorites in the series. I was sooooo excited for that movie for one particular reason. Quidditch World Cup eek I loved that part of the book and I really really wanted to see a live action version of that scene. So I was uber pissed when they lead up to the start of the match....and then didn't show a damn thing! crying

I feel your pain, Kyla! I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! crying  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:17 am
@Aretoo: Same here about Where The Wild Things Are. I mean the trailer is....beautiful. And the premise of the book is pretty simple, "A boy gets sent to bed without any dinner and "escapes" into this world of wild creatures. But eventually he realizes that he misses home and goes back. As long as that remains the core of the story in the movie, then I won't mind if they add more detail to the plot.

@Malice: crying Even though I was a bit sad that they cut Winky....that didn't bother me nearly as much as cutting the World Cup. When the first movie came out, I said to all my friends, "OH MY GOD! Can you imagine when they do Goblet of Fire and we get to see the Quidditch World Cup?!"
*Shakes fist* xp  

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Celestial Burden

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:30 pm
On the topic of children's stories into movies, I am...skeptical about Where THe Wild Things Are. I loved that story as a child, and so I'm excited for a movie, but.... eh, skeptical.

On the topic of Harry Potter movies.... WHY< GOBLET OF FIRE, WHY? Such a let down.... Granted, Order of the Phoenix made Sirius' death laughable and that was just horrid.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:46 am
Kyla_Ewens
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX
Movies can be a good thing. While I'll agree that reading is important, sometimes it takes a movie to shut kids up for an hour and a half. I mean, it really depends on what they're watching and how much.

A lot of movies based on books are, in my opinion, lacking creativity. Producers and directors have run out of ideas, so they're "modernizing," "updating," or "retelling" stories that were perfectly fine the way they were.

*high fives* Exactly! Most of them don't bother me much. But Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs was a childhood favorite of mine. I was actually excited at first when I heard they were making that movie, because there are some awesome scenes in the book. crying But why does it have to be another "See it with 3-d goggles!" "We added romance and a complicated plot!" kind of dealie. If they'd kept the same art style now...I'd be a little more open to that story having more of a plot. *Goes to find book to scan some pics from it*

Well, I think sometimes producers are struggling to do what Disney did with the Little Mermaid. That was the first kids' movie that had a plot that parents could stand to watch too. A lot of newer producers (and even Disney themselves) try to replicate that detailed simplicity with less-than-impressive results...

Other times, they're selling to a new generation of kids who are stimulated differently than the kids of the old days. That means they have to reference culture and make the entertaining aspects quick and esoteric to avoid being too outdated or too serious.

Those pictures you posted are mighty pretty. They make me think a tad of Nausicaa, but mostly from the shading. I never read that book as a kid, though... I was a Dr. Seuss-and-Shel-Silverstein kid. biggrin

@aretoo: Oh man, WTWTA has so much potential to be amazing! Let the wild rumpus start!

Overall, I've found myself utterly unimpressed by the Harry Potter movies. Though I wasn't pleased with the books entirely, they at least seemed to be narrated by Harry. The movies seem schizophrenic and poorly-done to me... emo  

The Dinosaur Next Door

Liltweet_gal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:33 am
I think that the first two Harry Potter movies are actually pretty good. But then the other Dumbledore died and moved to a new castle..... confused  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:55 am
On the topic of Harry Potter, the first 2 movies were cool and then came Prisoner of Azkaban... and then Goblet... *shakes head and sighs in dissapointment*
Order of the Phoenix was actually pretty good, I have to say for the least. I'm actually eager to see Half Blood Prince which coming out soon. smile

XxDarkMalicexX

Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces