Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

:U
  8U
View Results

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:02 am
What would make it similar is to think that you'll never eat again, or that you'll have to steal your food or eat crumbs. You know that when it's done you'll be able to eat. These people don't. They have no clue when they'll eat again. That is why I think the 30/40/whatever hour famine is crap. I know if I were starving and I knew that there were people doing this, it would be an insult to me. The fund raising I have no problem with.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:50 am
Essence of Crayon
Shram
Kyla_Ewens
I don't think it's about "undoing" it. I think the act of fasting yourself helps a person to appreciate what other people have to go through every day. It's like putting yourself in someone else's shoes for a bit. Also, if you do it for a charity, it gets people to take notice. It's like, "I care so much about this cause that I want to bring attention to it by empathizing with the situation." It's not like: I don't eat for a weekend=I solve world hunger.
I am an old ATG member =]

Thats bollocks though
you starve yourself for 40 hours and you'll feel very hungry with stomach ache. but you won't know s**t all about how the needy have it and within a week you'll have forgotten your hunger deal nonetheless.

Click here to PM Me regarding ATG.
Captain Shram has answered your thread
now fight his brute
http://shramy.mybrute.com

Methinks you're generalising things too much.

*facepalm* It's not about trying to suffer an equal ammount or whatever. sweatdrop It's just about making a statement. OF COURSE fasting for a couple of days isn't nearly the same as actually starving. rolleyes But I don't think most people who do that walk around saying, "Hey I didn't eat for two days, I know what it's like to suffer!" (And if they do, they're just dumb). The point isn't trying to make yourself suffer the same or more. It's about making a statement and raising awareness for a cause.

And besides, if someone doesn't eat for a couple of days, it might make them think, "Wow, that was kind of a tough couple of days. That makes me feel even more strongly about helping people who have to do this all the time."

I don't think that it's nessicary to fast to get a point across, but I can certainly see why people do it.  

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:56 pm
Seriously, it's a fundraiser, people. Why get irate over it? Are you going to complain about how walking for a couple of hours does nothing to cure cancer (or other life threatening illness), and people who do it are insulting the actual cancer (or other life threatening illness) patients?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:44 pm
Who said I was irate? I was simply stating my view on it. Like I said fundraising is perfectly fine, I just find it pointless to do something else with the fundraising, which is why I'll never do something like that. I think maybe others are getting irate here.  

God-Raped-Me

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:42 pm
I'm sorry to have raised dispute, Crayon... Like I said, good luck with it, and I hope that you achieve what you're shooting for. I just don't see the relation between your going hungry and their actual starvation. Why not just donate money if you're interested in taking part in easing their troubles? I guess what I don't understand is where it becomes a necessity for you to go hungry...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:19 pm
Usually when you go around harassing your friends and neighbours for money, you have to do something for it -- walk a certain distance, fast for a certain amount of time, shave your head, etc. No one believes you if you just say "I'm collecting money for ____ will you donate?" unless you have a form with a logo on it and a promise of a tax receipt.  

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:01 am
Ah, I think Kals made a good analogy there. When you do a walk to raise money for a cause, the act of walking is not going to cure cancer or whatever, but it gets way more attention than somebody simply mailing a check somewhere.
Raising awareness for a cause gets other people to support the cause.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff