Submit

Elcia

Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:40 pm
Did you all know that furniture and even some cloths have fermaldahyde in them? And it's skin irritante besides being unhealthy!
Yeah so there's some lovely toxins right there.

What blows my mind is how much paper schools go through in a year and yet paper recycling is generally pretty pathetic or none existant... in my experience anyway.

And all the organic material in the world wont break down plastic any faster... also many dumps are built by making little lined cells full of trash layered on top of each other all of which are inside a tub like structure that pumps out the decomposing liquid that seeps out of it. And when they are all filled in they throw a layer of dirty on top of the whole thing and call "reclaimed land".

I took a class on "environmental health" and it has left me convinced that the average person really know jack squat about how to live their lives safely and healthily in the society we've built ourselves. I was appauled at all the stuff there is to know that I felt I should have been taught years ago.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:02 pm
1 post above me:
You're thinking of carbon offsets.
They don't really work, because we can't nearly plant enough trees.  

Obiverance

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:23 pm
Also, trees will only grow so fast. In the case of paper, it really is efficient to recycle it. A number of other products consume more energy and create more pollutants in the recycling process than just throwing them out and making new stuff. We need to refine our recycling processes to fix that.

Meantime, the best way to recycle things is what we did when I was a kid, before you could recycle anything other than bottles and cans (and you get money for turning those in!!!) : Reuse stuff. Use it until it's too worn out for its intended purpose, then use it for something else, until it's too worn out for that too, and keep on salvaging as much as you can to use for other purposes until it's really and truly used up.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:43 pm
The only thing is Kals the companies design things so they can break as fast as possible so you have to go out and replace that item.
it's all about money.

ibixch

Omnileech

Omnipresent Warlord

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:43 pm
ibixch
The only thing is Kals the companies design things so they can break as fast as possible so you have to go out and replace that item.
it's all about money.

That's no excuse for not being creative. Want an effective pet training tool? Put some small metal things in a soda and put some duct tape over the lid.

Stuff like that works just fine.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:31 am
Recycling paper looses jobs for foresters and loggers.

And paper recycling plants smell horrible.

I also think global warming is just placed out there as a scape goat to divert real problems like poverty and educational funding. If organizations were alot less preachy and more militant things may actually happen. But then they may end up being like PETA. Who make me want to eat more meat.

DaisukeOrDark

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:00 am
Elca, you really think they would tell you something different in an environmental class? That is designed to make SURE you think that recycling is the best thing ever. For some things yes, it is. But not everything. Having organic stuff even IN plastic breaks it down. That's why they tell you NOT to reuse water and pop bottles, because the plastic is broken down into the liquid. If you had nothing in there it would last much longer.

I hate how everyone doesn't bother questioning what school teaches them! Ya I'm sure there are people out there living who just don't care, but there are also people who don't know jack s**t!

Example:
We have a proposed dump site that is finally going through. People are upset because they think it'll pollute the natural spring here. What they don't ******** know is that dump sites have to have regulations to keep from all the nasty s**t leaking into the ground and water. This one is going to have to huge sheets, 2 or 3 I can't remember how many, that are the same as the ones used under modern skyscrapers to protect against earthquakes. They've learned that these sheets don't let anything thing slip through, not even single celled bacteria. So everyone who is making garbage is freaking out because they don't know what is happening. Not only that this was up for discussion for 15 years and no one cared until it was finally passed.

My solution, you don't get to b***h unless you did b***h way back when, AS WELL AS when you STOP making garbage all together. You make the garbage and expect it to be taken care of, let the people who are taking care of it deal with where they'll be putting it!  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:14 pm
God-Raped-Me
Elca, you really think they would tell you something different in an environmental class? That is designed to make SURE you think that recycling is the best thing ever. For some things yes, it is. But not everything. Having organic stuff even IN plastic breaks it down. That's why they tell you NOT to reuse water and pop bottles, because the plastic is broken down into the liquid. If you had nothing in there it would last much longer.

I hate how everyone doesn't bother questioning what school teaches them! Ya I'm sure there are people out there living who just don't care, but there are also people who don't know jack s**t!

Example:
We have a proposed dump site that is finally going through. People are upset because they think it'll pollute the natural spring here. What they don't ******** know is that dump sites have to have regulations to keep from all the nasty s**t leaking into the ground and water. This one is going to have to huge sheets, 2 or 3 I can't remember how many, that are the same as the ones used under modern skyscrapers to protect against earthquakes. They've learned that these sheets don't let anything thing slip through, not even single celled bacteria. So everyone who is making garbage is freaking out because they don't know what is happening. Not only that this was up for discussion for 15 years and no one cared until it was finally passed.

My solution, you don't get to b***h unless you did b***h way back when, AS WELL AS when you STOP making garbage all together. You make the garbage and expect it to be taken care of, let the people who are taking care of it deal with where they'll be putting it!

Why should anyone believe a word of what you're saying?

You've given indication that you know what you're talking about and you have no support for the following claims..

1) You should not reuse water and soda bottles because plastic gets broken down upon repeated use?

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/plasticbottles.asp

Urban legend.

2) Body warmth is the cause of human global warming not CO2, not methane, not human activity, and therefore must of warming in the world would logically come not from the USA, Europe, or western countries but from Southeast Asia?
Citation needed.

That the best way to stop global warming would be kill a couple billion people?
Citation needed.

3) That a great way to combat deforestation is to use a ton of paper for a few years and then use less? How is that even supposed to do anything? Many trees take decades or even centuries to regrow and there's no guarantee that the people cutting them down will even do it. People clear-cutting the rainforest and doing so specifically so that they are not going to regrow trees at all.

Not being able to complain, address the problem or work on a solution unless you don't make any trash whatsoever isn't going to do anyone any good.

Omnileech

Omnipresent Warlord

ibixch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:10 pm
Omnileech
ibixch
it's all about money.

That's no excuse for not being creative. Want an effective pet training tool? Put some small metal things in a soda and put some duct tape over the lid.

Stuff like that works just fine.

I'm not saying it's an excuse but you can't ghetto fix everything, and that's what corporations are trying to make sure of.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff