Submit

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:01 pm
I just heard Walter Cronkite died today. That is a real loss. He was so monumental as a journalist, he brought so many memorable and pertinent news broadcasts to so many people over many years. He was an icon in the best sense, one who's voice itself was as memorable as the man who used it.

It makes me sad to hear he passed on. The world of journalism lost a true legend.

At least he lead a full life. He lived to be 92.

"And that's the way it is." ~Walter Cronkite

Discuss:
Walter
journalism
its downfall today (Katie Couric rolleyes , sensationalism news, news fluff )  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:10 pm
I haven't seen a single broadcast of Cronkite's... Maybe a snippet of one or two, here and there, but I, sadly, wouldn't be able to pick him out of a crowd. As such, I can't really say that I'll miss him.  

124-C

Thaliat Everwood

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:14 pm
I forget, I'm older than most of you here, lol.

Well, I remember him and he was brought up a lot in my journalism courses back in the day. He was rather influential to me. I'm not going to forget him.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:26 pm
So many icons dying lately... -_-
What is this world coming to?
I haven't seen anything of Cronkite's either.
I should probably remedy that. Supposedly he's epic?  

xDarkPisces

Opinionated Flatterer

12,725 Points
  • Buggin' 500
  • Super Jumper 500
  • That One Hero 500

Thaliat Everwood

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:44 pm
He did the Kennedy assassination, the first walk on the moon, Martin Luther King, the Watergate thing with Nixon, the Vietnam war, the protests. I think his last broadcast was in 1981, so most of my exposure to him was watching videos in high school in my journalism class and again in college. Also, we saw a lot of his face in my history classes because of the stories he covered.

Those who know of him and have seen his broadcasts consider him to be important, but I suspect the younger generations probably won't care as much because he wasn't part of their news experiences...those that actually follow the news and not just the celebrity magazines.

I'd recommend at least getting some exposure to Cronkite's old broadcasts, because he is a journalism icon. There aren't really a heck of a lot of other journalism icons I can think of short of Leonard (sp?) and Bernstein. If you are interested in journalism, you really should at least know a little about him. Besides, he covered some really influential periods of American history from the mid to late part of the last century.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:00 pm
Its weird when someone you've seen many times on TV or heard about a lot about while growing up dies. confused
I'm still growing up, so I bet when someone like that dies, I'm sure its a bit shocking...
I read about him in the newspaper this morning, and it was said that he was the most trusted man in America. eek I imagine he must've had a great impact on people for him to have such a great honor.
My dad was a journalist for a while, and I inherited his ability of being a good writer and deep thinker. I'm sure I might steer toward journalism in the future, if I decide to not go into medical. I'll be sure to look toward him for inspiration!

pikamewmew

blue_lutra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:51 pm
pikamewmew
I read about him in the newspaper this morning, and it was said that he was the most trusted man in America. eek I imagine he must've had a great impact on people for him to have such a great honor.

If I remember correctly, Walter Cronkite was one of the few journalists to actually go to Vietnam and show the American public what was really going on over there during the war. It was the most televised exposure that America had ever had of war, aside from the few who went and fought. Mr. Cronkite helped to shape journalism and is one of the best, if not the best, news casters ever.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:05 pm
...I didn't even know who the hell he was till Ashley told me he died.

I was like "who?"  

Arcanas

Hunter

Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas