View Results

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:39 pm
OK, so in the USA we made the switch to digital television. I've been noticing quite a few cable stations here now suck because the digital reception is so incredibly impacted by the weather. Anyone else notice this? Other issues? Solutions?

I think more/better satellites are needed to fix reception issues.

I can get the basic channels with less interruptions...and apparently Spike TV comes in GREAT. I'm watching Lethal Weapon and it looks really good. But the HBO and USA and Starz and such get interrupted a lot.

It's kind of a mixed bag in my opinion. Great picture, spotty reception. Eh.

What has your digital experience been so far?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:58 pm
Well, I've been digital since like forever ago, so no differences here...  

Xikrai the Risen

Dapper Reveler

1,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

Odd Boy Out

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:47 pm
I haven't had any problems. :/  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:05 pm
I suspect it is just the satellite reception for certain cable channels here that is the problem. Everyone in my neighborhood that I've discussed this with is having some channels with the same issues.

This is why I have such a huge DVD collection. There isn't a movie I can't watch, lol. mrgreen  

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:29 pm
Canada's airwaves aren't going digital until 2012. Honestly I don't see why they are doing it, it's perfectly easy to broadcast analog and give digital only to the people who want to pay through the nose for cable. I believe it is a basic right in our society to be able to receive the local television stations with the aid of nothing more technical than a coat hanger. Then again, people look at me as if I have three heads when I say I don't have cable and I don't want it.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:06 am
I could do without having my Antenna hover in mid air to the left of my TV in order to receive a signal from NBC. Also that cellphone caused speaker buzz? I was fine without it.

I mean was analog really that bad? It's sort of ironic that there was such a huge push on this thing during a recession. I still think it was just a ploy to force people to buy new electronics.  

Phaeton

Erverain

Enduring Loiterer

24,975 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:20 am
I have circumvented this problem completely: I no longer watch television. Which, in my opinion, is no big loss, since the quality of programming has gone down the tubes over time.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:46 am
We've got Dish Network, which only gets messed up if the weather is SEVERELY bad...like it was yesterday. xp (Me and Thal live within 45min of each other). When it rains super hard the picture usually goes out for a bit. But sometimes it's because the dish isn't lined up properly. A while ago, any ammount of weather would cut the picture xp Then I helped my dad re-align the dish and it's much better.

Anyways, upstairs we have a little TV in the computer room with rabbit ears. It doesn't pick up anything now...except for the instructional video on how to set your TV up to receive digital rofl It just plays in a continuous loop. I watched it about 5 times the other day because I wanted background noise while I was at the compy.

@Erv: I totally agree with you there. I watch waaay less these days. I only watch The Daily Show/Colbert Report, occasional cartoons like Chowder and Flapjack (They make the creative juices in my brain happy), and I do watch the Discovery Channel quite a bit. whee I like shows like "Dirty Jobs" and "Deadliest Catch", and they have some really neat mini-series that they run sometimes.  

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

palnoki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:02 pm
I know the pain of digital all to well. I work for bose for product and tech support so all I do is this stuff day in and day out. I think the switch does make people buy new stuff but it is much cheaper for companies to broadcast because digital uses less bandwidth than conventional analog television signals, the freed up bandwidth can be used for additional channels as well as other wireless services the government can charge for.

now analog doesn't have ghosting or streaking as badly as digital does cause it's so damn compressed where analog isn't. a digital picture may be sharper and free of interference but i like the warmth and intensity of an analog over digital myself.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:28 am
Im to poor way to poor I just have open tv and thank God here in Mexico that change is just starting and is not obligatory, if not I would be really mad, its been about a year since I dont have cable tv crying but I remember when It rain to much the signal die

^^Psycha^^

6,150 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

ChiMeister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:25 am
I can't stand the fact i have so many channels but i don't watch them.

But no, its fine here. No problems.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:57 pm
I know how you feel Kal. When we tell people that the only TV we have consists of movies, their jaws drop and say "I couldn't live without it" We found that if you have internet though you can still watch what you want.

I'm in the process of trying to get Bell satellite, apparently my order was deleted or some s**t because it doesn't exist anymore and the guy I was talking to had to input it again. Treehouse programming doesn't seem to exist online... Grr.  

God-Raped-Me

Yoshikazu

Armed Battery

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:01 pm
i have discover so many new shows and movies that i have never seen before
especially Pecola on the channel Qubo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:31 pm
At times, digital TV is no better and standard TV. It Sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!! scream  

SoLongAndFairWell

Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff