Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:32 pm
Thaliat Everwood
Just a heads up, this is a pan-guild art contest.

What's a pan-guild art contest? It is an art contest that is run as one contest through multiple guilds. In this case it will be multiple guilds (and a Gaia art forum thread); The Line Art Arena (mine), the Any Topic Guild, Demon's Death Necklace official manga guild, [ B U R N :: the everything guild ], the How to Draw Manga guild (mine), and the Gaians Giving Gold Guild.

Why am I running a contest through multiple guilds? Because contestant turn out will be better. I want to fill up as many slots as possible. Even if I only get 3-5 entries per guild, the contest will have 12-20 slots filled. The more entries, the better the contest!

User Image

The concept of this contest is simple: I will provide you with the descriptions of the fantasy characters (below), you create art of either a single character or a group of two or more characters. The best art will be rewarded!

I will start the official contest on November 1st. The contest will run until February 1st, so it should give everyone plenty of time to come up with an entry. It will be an OC art contest with characters from my novel project and the will be 3 levels of the contest: Single Character (1st prize: 250K gold, 2nd: 100K gold, 3rd: 50K gold), Couple/Group (1st prize: 250K gold, 2nd: 100K gold, 3rd: 50K gold), Best of Show (Grand Prize: 500K gold).

Main Cast

Thaliat a Kerderran girl of sixteen years with long auburn hair (it is later cut short by a sword and rests a little above her shoulders) and green eyes. She wears an old sword belted to her hip when she is away from home. She wears traditional dresses and such at festivals, but when traveling she tends to dress in men's clothing consisting of a tunic and loose pants with black boots with clasps shaped like roses (at this time her hair is short). She is a healer, but hides this fact quite often. (Thaliat has two hair styles, either long and wavy with bangs, or short with bangs and the back kind of flairs out and falls a bit above her shoulders.)

Personality/Other Info: Generally she is cheerful, but has a tendency to wear her heart on her sleeve. She has a quick temper, but tends not to resort to violence...unless physically attacked. She does not fight fair, only because she never learned the etiquette of fighting...she fights for survival. She feels remorse anytime she is forced to take a life to defend herself or her friends. In matters of the heart she is confused and easily flustered. She does not know how to deal with her feelings for certain men, and sometimes this leads her to little outbursts of frustration. She is sort of the tomboy next door type of girl. She regards Reijer as an older brother. She is confused by her feelings for Lyhake. She tolerates Aralee because Reijer approves of her, but wishes she could just once do something better than Aralee. She adores Miakosa.

Lyhake a young man with long blond hair tied loosely behind his neck. His bangs are long and kind of fall in his eyes. His clothes are simple and drab except for a crimson sash he wears around his waist. He wears long gauntlets on his arms to protect against any wayward dagger blows. He is a thief from a small town in Kerderra who befriends Thaliat, and is the first to join her on her journey.

Personality/Other Info: He is easy going and a mild prankster. He is very much a flirt. He will make light of danger, but is quick to flee if he can't deflect his enemy's anger...unless a friend is involved, then he will stay and attempt to fight for them. He is quite good at making Thaliat flustered and has been the target of her temper on occasion, but he gets very upset if anyone else bothers her. He finds Reijer to be a bother, ignores Aralee for the most part, and dotes on Miakosa.

Reijer a former enemy soldier from Mosari who vows to protect Thaliat. His hair is dark and his eyes are brown. He carries a sword at all times. He is very stoic and resourceful. He wears dark leather armor over his clothes, but it is the armor of a merc and not a soldier. He is loyal to Thaliat and tolerates Lyhake for her sake.

Personality/Other Info: He is very stoic, often brooding. He is serious and rarely smiles or shows any other sign of emotion. He admires strength and thus approves of Aralee. It is unknown why he is so protective of Thaliat, he never calls her by name...he only calls her "m'lady" which is a bit irksome to Thaliat. He is the only one who knows Thaliat is a healer, and he knew before she admitted it. He tries to show kindness to Miakosa because she travels with Aralee, although he really does not know what to make of her curiosity and her constant energy.

Minor Cast

The Foundling an infant child with green eyes and a healthy set of lungs. She is swaddled (rather poorly) in a blanket with a warrior's crest as the fastening pin. The Crest- a silver circle brooch carved with runic symbols encircling four dragons. The dragons guarded a large red stone in the center of the crest. Four smaller matching stones were set in the crest, one between each dragon.

Personality/Other Info: She's got a good set of lungs on her and makes good use of them. She is too young to talk, but she will coo contently so long as she is warm, fed, and comfortable. Only Raeden knows of her origins.

Raeden a mysterious traveler who comes bearing the foundling to find her a home. His skin is pale as he is injured when we see him. His eyes are blue and he has blond hair to his shoulders. He is poor and dressed as such with a simple cloak. He is kind to the foundling, and a bit protective of her.

Personality/Other Info: He is kind and protective of the foundling as if her were her own father. He's not, he is just protecting her. He knows how to handle a small child and is not afraid to hum to her if he thinks it will make her smile...even if it is the middle of the night, raining and cold, and in the midst of two war torn nations. Not much else is known of him.

Porintha a simple woman, her once black now graying hair swept up in a loose bun. Her dress is simple and mostly hidden behind her apron. She has blue eyes. She is the wife to Rellius and adoptive mother to the foundling. She is kind and compassionate.

Personality/Other Info: She is a kind and compassionate woman. She has always wanted a child. She adores the foundling. She is patient and humors Rellius, while still able to convince him that her way is the right way. She dies when the foundling is still a little girl.

Rellius a man with graying hair. He is muscular but still lean, and tanned and his hands are calloused. His eyes are gray and his brows are bushy. He is husband to Porintha and the adoptive father to the foundling. He tends to be stern at first glance but has a soft side.

Personality/Other Info: He is gruff and stern, but gives in to Porintha's desires regularly. He also tends to be a bit softer towards the foundling. When Porintha passes on, the foundling becomes the most important person in his world. He does not know much about girls, and so raises her as he would a son. He teaches her to defend herself with a sword. He can't stand to see her sad, and will do anything to bring a smile back to her face. (If you haven't guessed it, the foundling is Thaliat.)

Marden a barkeep. Strong and muscular. Gruff. He has brown hair, a bit of graying at the temples, his eyes are brown. He is the husband of Sabaliana and father to Rutos.

Personality/Other Info: He is gruff. He gives Thaliat a job at his tavern for a night to earn her keep. Despite his gruffness, he wants to help her on her journey. He has a mysterious past that haunts him and he will not speak of openly. He will do what ever it takes to defend his current life. He is gentle to Rutos and kind to Sabaliana despite his regular demeanor to others. He is understanding of Lyhake and seems mildly protective of the thief. He is a bit surprised to learn Lyhake is planning to travel with Thaliat.

Sabaliana the matron of the tavern. She is gentle and patient. Her hair is long and chestnut in color. She too has brown eyes. She is the wife of Marden and mother to Rutos.

Personality/Other Info: She is kind and patient, but will not tolerate course language around her son. She is accustomed to the tavern's chaos, and the patrons know better than to cross her. She is supportive to Thaliat. She is oddly unconcerned that her young son is so attached to Lyhake, despite knowing him to be a theif.

Rutos a young boy of six years, he has blond hair and brown eyes. He is shy around strangers. He is the son of Marden and Sabaliana.

Personality/Other Info: Rutos is shy around the patrons of the tavern and around Thaliat. He is very cheerful around Lyhake and treats him like an older brother. When not feeling shy, Rutos is very helpful to his father washing dishes in the kitchen. He dreams to grow up to be like his father.

General Derath is Thaliat's enemy and has vowed to kill her. His features are dark, and he has a thin scar on left cheek. His hair is tied back and he often wears a dark cloak. He is the general of the enemy's army.

Personality/Other Info: He is plotting something sinister, and it involves the destruction of the nation of Kerderra. He fully believes they are inferior to his nation of Mosari. He seeks to rise to power and Thaliat has now become an obstacle. He has a history of destroying any city that sits in his path. In Mosari he is heralded as a hero.

Aralee an elven mercenary with long black hair and green eyes. She is heavily armed at all times and tends to be stern. She is protective of Miakosa.

Personality/Other Info: Aralee is strong, an individual, and stern. She does not openly trust anyone. Her history is a mystery. She bears some scars from battles and such which she pays no heed. She is often irked by Thaliat's emotional displays, but has come to accept them. She travels with Thaliat on and off and considers her worth protecting, though she will not say why. She helps her train with the sword, though she looks on it with disdain because she feels the weapon is an boutique and Thaliat should fight with an elven sword. She tolerates Miakosa's antics with little more than a sigh most times. When the child needs it, Aralee is capable of being borderline motherly to her. As much as a mercenary elf on the edge is capable of being.

Miakosa a small child found wandering in the woods. She has long black hair and green eyes. She is about five years of age and becomes fond of Aralee.

Personality/Other Info: She is frightened and misses her parents who are dead. She finds Aralee accidentally and travels with the elf who at first allows it begrudgingly. She adopts Aralee as a sort of mother figure. She is generally a cheery and imaginative child. Because of her time with Aralee she has developed a slight rebellious streak and sometimes places herself in trouble because of it. She is a bit fearful of Reijer, though he tries his best to be kind toward her.

More details will come (along with art/banners, and a better looking first post) so watch this space!  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:33 pm
Reserved for Rules and Updates

Rules

Obey all TOS and guild rules. No entries will be accepted if any vulgarity is included. Keep it PG-13, I don't want vulgarity in anyone's art!

The art must be your own work. No stealing someone's work online and passing it off as your own.

You may enter multiple times, if you so choose.

You can only win one prize.

Post your entry in this thread AND send it to me via PM.

Acceptable Entries

I will accept a drawing of the character(s) as this is the preferred format in this forum. However I will accept any medium including but not limited to: a painting of the character, a pixel doll version of the character, a photo of you cosplaying as the character. Bonus points to anyone who actually makes a plushie out of fabric!

Contest is open until February 1st, 2010.

Updates

10/25/09 The contest is officially open!

11/21/09 OK, I just spent my first 1.3 million gold on a guild. I left just enough for my contest. However, it only took me about a week to become a Gaia millionaire in order to buy that guild, so I'm going to try to do it again. If I succeed, all the prize packages will be significantly increase.

Just wanted to let you all know.  

Thaliat Everwood

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Thaliat Everwood

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100