Submit

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:31 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

In Canada, November 5-11 is Veterans' Week. I know that other countries observe Remembrance day on the 11th in some form, including the United States, the United Kingdom, New Zealand, and Australia.

For those who don't understand what the big deal is, we set this time aside to remember the sacrifices made by our military personnel and their families since the first world war so that we might have a chance of avoiding the mistakes of the past.

For those who don't like to read, perhaps a music video?

Or another one?

Heather Robertson, A Terrible Beauty, The Art of Canada at War. Toronto, Lorimer, 1977.
We must remember. If we do not, the sacrifice of those one hundred thousand Canadian lives will be meaningless. They died for us, for their homes and families and friends, for a collection of traditions they cherished and a future they believed in; they died for Canada. The meaning of their sacrifice rests with our collective national consciousness; our future is their monument.

Laurence Binyon (1869-1943)
For the Fallen

With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill: Death august and royal
Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres.
There is music in the midst of desolation
And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables at home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain,
As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
To the end, to the end, they remain.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
On the left is one of the medals worn by my little brother. It was awarded to him for his participation in the peacekeeping efforts in Bosnia. On the right is the medal he was awarded from NATO for the same service.

He now suffers from PTSD and our family feels the effects of his service overseas nearly every day.

Death was not the only sacrifice made by our troops. Not all wounds are visible. He has since left the Armed Forces.

There are countless stories across the country of men and women who were forever changed when entering countries overseas torn apart by civil war, when faced with real poverty and suffering for the first time.

Many soldiers are children, really. My brother came home from the Balkans just before his 20th birthday.

Here is a blog post he made a couple of years ago on Remembrance Day after some very disrespectful people disrupted a memorial ceremony during the 2 minutes of silence:

Kals' Little Brother, November 11, 2006
This Day...
...We Remember.

did i die to protect you?

did i die so that you could spit in my son's face?
did i die so that you could get the latest toy?
did i die so that you could ignore me and carry on with your life?

did i die so that you could freely speak your language with your fellow coutryman?
did i die so that you could disrespect the flag under whose protection and dominion you placed yourself?
did i die so that you could glare in hatred at my comrades, who have taken the torch and held it high?

did i die so that you could sit in your warm house and be angry because your neighbour is being too loud?
did i die so that you could drive your oversized car and complain about how much it costs to keep running?
did i die so that you could piss on my memories, on my comrades' memorial, on my country?

i died so that you could be free.
i died so that you could enjoy this luxury.
i died so that you could live.

i died so that you could walk down the street without getting shot at.
i died so that you could walk across a grassy field and not get your legs blown off.
i died so that you could watch your children go out your door and know they were coming home.

i died so that you could believe what you wish, when you wish.
i died so that you could speak freely about whatever you will.
i died so that you could read this message.

does this mean that i died to let you hate me?
does this mean that i died to let you hate my brothers?
does this mean that i died to let you love my enemy?

yes. it does.

don't forget who died.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
We wear decorative poppies pinned over our hearts during this week in honour of our veterans and in remembrance of those who have sacrificed so much to help shape the world into a place where we can be free to speak our minds and live as we please.

On the eleventh day of the eleventh month, we pause for a minute or two in the eleventh hour to honour and remember those who have fallen.

So, ATG, now that I have spilled my passion all over the place, discuss:
-Does your country observe Remembrance Day? Does it mean anything to you?
-Do you have any veterans or military personnel in your family? Did one of your ancestors die in one of the World Wars?
-Are you serving in the military yourself? Does the significance of being a "future vet" hit home for you on Remembrance Day?
-Do you think that remembering the Great Wars, their causes, and their impact on the world will help keep us from repeating history?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:14 pm
Sorry for the double post, but people are sending me links to include and I don't want them lost in my tl;dr first post.

Some videos, courtesy of V:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW90MxnwL2U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdUEBzeA_qs (slightly gruesome!)

We Are The Lost
Be Still My Soul -- a holocaust remembrance video  

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:27 pm
I've wanted to post something since you made the thread, but I can't really think of what to write. :s

Suffice to say that I'm very, very grateful to all of those who sacrificed so much in order for me to live in what I feel is one of the most free countries in the world.

I have friends who serve, and relatives who used to, and I can't even imagine being selfless or brave enough to have signed up to do what they have done and are currently doing.

All I can say to them is "Thank you."  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:27 am
Kals is questing again!
Kate BEaton's Hark! A Vagrant comic from Nov. 11 says a lot of what I wanted to say. Or rather her post that goes along with it says it... Whatever, she's awesome and says good stuff.

Check sig for details!

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:36 am
Mm, like Tae, I'm very grateful for those who have served and are serving and thank them for all they do~  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:26 am
To you from failing hands we throw
the torch; be yours to hold it high

ZOMBIE THREAD because I don't feel like building a new one, and it's that time of year again. Please continue.

If ye break faith with us who die,
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders Feild.

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:08 pm
Braaaaiiiinnnnnssss.....  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:26 am

I always celebrate Veteran's Day in some way, shape, or form. For example, last year I had 2 minutes of silence and thanked my father, who was part of the Desert Storm Operation in Iraq. That's most likely what I'll do this year as well.

Those who served our country as part of the military don't get enough respect.

Also: -hides in closet from zombie thread-

Rica is insane

6,500 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:38 pm
My cousin (second cousin) is serving in Afganastan. My father and my grandfather are both veterans. I come from a long line of soldiers, though I don't know all their stories.

My boyfriend's brother wants to enlist, much to the family's dismay (sorry, but they would rather he stay safer at home and I don't blame them), though they will let him do what he ultimately decides for himself. I won't say it to my boyfriend because he is not ready to hear it yet, but I think his brother is brave for being willing to accept the risks and serve in the Army. I just hope he survives the experience.

I could never take a bullet, or worse, just to protect a stranger who may not even care because they will never know me. I'm not that type of person. But over seas and even here, there are men and women who serve our country (countries) every day and knowingly accept that fate as a possibility and do so proudly. That is brave and honorable. I can see it no other way. To be willing to sacrifice so much for your country to protect even strangers is truly honorable.

War is terrible and we have yet to learn that we can prevent it. We have yet to accept that sometimes it really is best to just stay in our respective spaces and leave each other well enough alone when we disagree. My country has plenty of issues on our own home soil that we could be addressing instead of fighting on foreign soil to protect people who don't even like us. We fight for oil instead of peace. Screw it, just drill in Alaska so we can have the oil from our own land, I'd rather tap into our wild life regions instead of having our people die for oil abroad. Maybe forcing that hand would me us reevaluate our foreign oil dependency and other issues. The war against terror is important, though, and I am glad we have soldiers willing to fight to keep us safe. It is a giant risk they take for us. I m grateful to them for their service.

Yeah, I guess that is all I have to say.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:06 am
To be honest I don't particularly do anything of the 11th. Like I totally get the whole thing and think its great, but to be honest its not really something I think about too much, and I hate to say I don't care enough to like go to any services or anything. I know I should, and I do take the moment of silence on the 11th but thats about it.

Oh wow I just re-read what I said. I don't mean to be a downer >_< I guess I just don't know anyone or have anyone close thats been touched by war. I don't think you need that to care though. I dunno. Uhmm... I'll shut up now.  

Surazal Dloc

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:06 pm
To you from failing hands we throw
the torch; be yours to hold it high

*huggles Laz*

Glad to see there are still some people who've not been as closely affected by this war business.

If ye break faith with us who die,
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow in Flanders Feild.

Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games