Reply Crystals, Herbs, and Therapies
Sore throat remedy

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dalaigh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:06 pm
I suffer from a very weak constitution and get sick easily during the winter. Part of the time I have a really sore throat and have a lot of pain and irritation in it. I've used this remedy before and it helps (I'll explain how):

1 part slippery elm bark
1 part cayenne pepper
1 part honey

Mix the bark and pepper in the honey and drink it. It tastes supremely nasty but the honey helps. The slippery elm bark helps to soothe the throat. The cayenne pepper helps to bring more blood to the area and kill off the infection. The honey is well, how you get it down your throat...and it stays there.

Don't drink anything for 30 minutes afterwards or else the medicine won't work.

I've used this for 20+ years with success!

-- D  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:14 pm
Where would one get the slippery elm bark? sweatdrop  

han von helson

Dalaigh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:20 pm
You could get it at any well-stocked natural food store. That's a pretty common item that they carry. Even out here in the sticks where I live I can get it in town, so you shouldn't have a problem. smile

-- D  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:27 pm
Actually, there isn't a natural food store around here. xD

I might have to look for one.  

han von helson

TwilightNocturne
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:02 pm
If you can't find it. You could always settle on tea with lots of honey, or gargle warm salt water. The salt water actually works wonders for really bad throats in my experience. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:53 am
I usually make a simple tonic of lemon juice, honey and hot water. If you're not opposed to alcohol, you could always add some whisky or vodka.  

deadly_lifeform

6,200 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Dalaigh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:56 pm
Okay, I shoulda qualified what I said better. This is good for people with allergies. When allergies get bad with me, I get holes in the back of my throat (think of potholes in a road). It's a severe allergic reaction and that's what this is good for.

Salt water gargles are good, although since I can't drink anymore because of my health, I can't partake of anything with alcohol in it (not even Nyquil).

However, I'll say this-when I drank a lot, I hardly ever got sick-nothing could live in my bloodstream long enough. biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:34 pm
Me and my family use a tea called throat coat by Traditional Medicines. I think my dad gets it at Ralphs. It feels good at taste good  

wild rain fox

6,800 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Crystals, Herbs, and Therapies

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items