Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Ohio Guild!!

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who live in Ohio, or visit! 

Tags: Ohio, Convention, Columbus, Cleveland, Midwest 

Reply Welcome To The Ohio Guild!
Miami University - Another thread >_< But with questions!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kerize

8,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:47 am
I know I made another thread, but I think I've decided I DO want to attend it, so the other thread is like blah lol.

So yeah, I plan on attending Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

Anyway, questions for people who might have been there/know:

1. For first year students, which is the best dorm? *female*
2. I don't understand the bicycle rule, it can be "chained" outside, or it can be brought inside the resident hall? as in inside your dorm? or is there like an area? *is confused*
3. They say that not all rooms and their dorms have A/C's, so which ones do have? And how can you apply for one without medical consent?
4. As for the Graphic's Design program, there is a limit of around 16-20 people, how competitive is it really? *assuming it is already pretty competitive, what would I have to demonstrate in order to actually have a chance?*
5. Per dorm room, is it two roommates or three? is it completely random or will they try to pair people due to interests/lifestyle/etc.?
6. About how big are most of the dorm rooms?
7. The bathrooms being in each corridor, is it disgusting/messy/whatever/hard to shower on time?
8. Do bicycle's get stolen a lot o_o?
9. Anythign else I should know as a freshman? Lol.

Might be a lot, but if you know anything that I should know or the above, share sad ? >_<

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:49 am
It's been a couple of years since I've last been out to MU, so some of my info might be outdated.

Roommates can range from anywhere between just yourself (you end up paying more), to I think 3 people. I didn't get a chance to visit all the dorms, so there might be some split room dorms to allow 4 or more.

Bathroom time is more or less when it fits into your schedule, and the floor's. If you don't have a class until 10, you might be able to get in a shower before class, or you might have to wake up a few hours early to get a chance. It all depends on everyone else on the floor and the number of shower stalls the hall has working. As for being clean, I can't remember if the Resident delegates the showers to be cleaned, but I think it's usually just a best bet to just clean up after yourself, and hope others do the same. I personally never stayed there for long, but my sisters never complained; other than that you'd want some shower shoes (flip flops or others).

Even though some rooms might not have an A/C unit in them, there's nothing stopping you from putting up a box fan in your window, and another rotating fan somewhere else in your dorm. Plus, if it gets too hot in your room, you can always make friends with people who have A/C units, or jump over to one of the study areas or common rooms to just relax.

I can't remember the names of every Hall, but unless they've torn it down, there is ONE that you'd want to avoid. It's haunted, and I don't think they've let students back into it yet, but people will probably be able to tell you which on it is, and more up to date info about it's status. Used to house a mental hospital.

But, one of the best ways to get your questions answered is to take a tour of MU, and see if you can get the chance to talk to some other freshman or sophomores there. It is very beautiful out on Campus, and there are plenty of places to go in town if you've got a lot of down time.

Oh, and some tips, pack lighter than you might originally want. You may end up with a dorm on the top floor of a 4 story hall, and they usually have at least two to three flights of stairs for each story. So keep that in mind. You might also want to bring along something to raise your bed up off the ground some more, so you have more storage space under it. Also, don't be afraid to ask others for help, or even offer help if it looks like someone is struggling with something, the first few move in days would be a great time to start friendships with everyone on the floor, or even in the Hall.

And sorry it took so long for somebody to reply to your thread.  

SkyeDarkhawk

Welcome To The Ohio Guild!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff