Submit

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:07 pm
People in this country have gotten a little too ridiculous with their expectations that they should be able to have every thing their way because it's a free country. It's going to be our downfall because it even now impedes upon some good choices. Yes, negotiation is important, but there is always a common ground to be found if people are willing to compromise. But people aren't willing to compromise.

I'd say, let everyone in America have up to two kids if they are deemed fit. The unfit should be educated and tested again for competency...if they still fail, then we sterilize them, or deport them to, say, Antarctica where they can establish their own colony and have all the babies their colony can sustain without the aid of any government but the one they establish. Too bad we can't do that, it might make life here a little better.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:11 pm
Some of the ideas in this thread reminded me of this news story from the UK that I read awhile back.

Basically, social services planned ahead of time to take away this couple's baby because they determined that the mother wasn't smart enough to raise the baby, despite the fact that she only has mild learning disabilities.

I know people who are intellectual, intelligent, and financially stable, who are HORRIBLE parents that shouldn't be allowed to raise a dog, let alone a child. I also know of people who are a little on the slow side, but that are loving, caring, capable mothers and fathers.

I don't disagree at all that the planet is drastically overpopulated, but I just do not see a good way (realistically speaking) to enforce who can and can't have children. Smart doesn't mean you're a fit parent.

I'd say that we really need to be focusing on educating women, particularly in developing nations, but it's hard to do so considering some of the oppressive regimes in those countries. Most countries don't appreciate foreigners coming in and telling them how to run their nation.

On the complete other side of the coin, in developed nations you have idiotic members of government bitching that women aren't popping out more babies, and yuppies lobbying the government to pay for their In-vitro fertilization treatments.

It all just seems rather hopeless. sweatdrop  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

icywind1980

Ice-Cold Neko

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:28 pm
Thaliat Everwood
People in this country have gotten a little too ridiculous with their expectations that they should be able to have every thing their way because it's a free country. It's going to be our downfall because it even now impedes upon some good choices. Yes, negotiation is important, but there is always a common ground to be found if people are willing to compromise. But people aren't willing to compromise.

I'd say, let everyone in America have up to two kids if they are deemed fit. The unfit should be educated and tested again for competency...if they still fail, then we sterilize them, or deport them to, say, Antarctica where they can establish their own colony and have all the babies their colony can sustain without the aid of any government but the one they establish. Too bad we can't do that, it might make life here a little better.

Fit by whose standards? Certainly not yours, I hope. If they were fit by your standards all we'd have left is a very small group of elitist republicans. Goodbye free will..  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:17 pm
Well, so long as they aren't beating the kids, neglecting them, drugging them, and the parents are literate enough to help the kid with at least elementary level homework, we are off to a decent start. Too bad a lot of parents already fail that much.

It's got nothing to do with the fact that I am Republican. It is common sense.  

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

dark_wyvern_panda

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:34 pm
If i want a child, ill adopt a five or four year old. If my partner consents that is. but thats far away.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:51 pm
This reminds me of a vote we had in my ap class. The teacher asked if we thought all females were fit to be perfect parents. All the males put up their hands... Most people don't have "motherly instincts" right away, or know what to do in certain situations.
I don't want kids and know I'd be a horrible mother. Kids scare me and I can't express emotions that well. Not to mention nine months of getting fatter with nausea and pains, then a demon clawing it's way out...
Anyways if someone wants to be a parent they should be educated about it. Not just females, males too. Both parent contribute to the problem. I wouldn't go as far to sterilize someone but rather educate them.  

LIRss

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:20 am
Working at Dunkin Donuts makes me never want to reproduce. gonk However, I do have some faith that my own spawn would never be as terrible as the screaming howling brats that run around the store all day. But basically, I know that to be a mother means that you would be willing to do literally ANYTHING for the sake of your children. And until I feel like I can accept that much responsability over another life I won't have kids.

...though hanging around my cousins' kids...I'm less resistant to the idea than I used to be. My cousins' kids are amazing.

sweatdrop And I do have to oppose the idea of government approved reproduction. If I could only be a mother because the government said it was ok, I'm pretty sure I'd flee the country.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:13 am
A lot of people are crying and moaning about freedom, and free will, and how they'd leave the country if the government said who can and can't be a parent, and all that. Do you guys not realize that we already do have laws about who can be a parent and who can't?

We might not tell someone that they can't get pregnant in the first place. But we do tell people that they can't keep and raise their children if they prove that they are not fit to.

The thing is, there are often warning signs when someone is going to be an unfit parent. I'm not necessarily talking about anything extreme here. We don't even have to change the definition of "unfit parent." I'm just saying the government could do some things to prevent child abuse in cases where we are pretty darn sure it's going to happen if we don't step in.

For example, let's say a couple is on welfare. They had three children. All three of them were taken away at different times for different incidences of abuse. The husband has also been accused of child molestation.

Now do you honestly think that couple should have complete freedom, should be able to reproduce again, should be able to abuse another child, and should not have to worry about the government stepping in?

Or would you rather the government say they are not allowed to have anymore children? Or maybe that they are not allowed to have anymore children unless they attend counseling and parenting classes? Maybe even job seminars or classes so they can get better jobs?

In my opinion, telling a child abuser that they can't have another child (at least not without counseling and classes) is just common sense. It's just like how we don't let convicted felons carry guns.

Obviously I would like to take it a step further that that. But that's just my opinion, and I don't expect everyone to agree with it. But I do expect everyone to agree with the government stepping in to stop or possibly even prevent extreme cases of child abuse. This is not an anarchy. People are not 100% free to do whatever they want to whomever they want.  

LorienLlewellyn

Quotable Informer

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:06 pm
What Lorien said.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:46 pm
Wow. Yeah I'm unable to have children...so yeah. I will have to either adopt or something.  

Miss-dark8607

Dangerous Visionary

Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas