Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Christian friends
Lent

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Riku Elmwick

3,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:55 pm
Well I have been thinking of what to do for lent because I wanted to do something that will really bring me closer to God. So, even though its a little late, I desided to give up gaia from now to Easter. I'll be on later. god bless you all heart  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:17 pm
Oh wow, good luck! Haha, if you read this before Easter, well... good job until now. xD

I didn't even realize Lent had started, ahh, somebody needs to tell me these things. I may not celebrate Lent officially but I think its a good thing to do.

I had said earlier that for Lent I was going to give up saying things like "crap" and "retarded" in conversation, silly derogatory things like that. I think they're basically useless in the usual teen conversation... and there are a lot better words out there that sound a lot more classy, loving or mature.
I think that by speaking better, I can represent Christ better. :3

So, I'll really have to crack down on that now.
8O

Saint Crazy The Follower

The_Cursed_Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:24 pm
What i will do for lent really a big problem for me is learn to speak properly, for example speaking like: yup i guess the roads aren't iced over, instead of: yu guess the road ain't ice overd.

Small but if you heard me speak you would know.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:40 pm
There's a Time to Laugh "Ephesians 2: 8-9"

Doesn't anyone know exactly when lent starts in the year? I know it already started but one day I'd like to actually participate and start on the right day lol.

And a Time to Cry "Romans 5: 3-5"

faithful quenga

6,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100

Br1ttana
Crew

Blessed Nerd

11,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:20 pm
You can tickle me pink, orange, red, or blue, but not grey

Lol, I feel so stupid. I've never even heard of Lent before this post. So can anyone explain it to me perhaps?

Because grey will not do.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:45 pm
There's a Time to Laugh "Ephesians 2: 8-9"

Quote:
Lent, in Christian tradition, is the period of the liturgical year leading up to Easter. The traditional purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer — through prayer, penitence, almsgiving and self-denial — for the annual commemoration during Holy Week of the Death and Resurrection of Jesus, which recalls the events linked to the Passion of Christ and culminates in Easter, the celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Conventionally, it is described as being forty days long, though different denominations calculate the forty days differently. The forty days represent the time that, according to the Bible, Jesus spent in the desert before the beginning of his public ministry, where he endured temptation by Satan.

This practice was virtually universal in Christendom until the Protestant Reformation. Some Protestant churches do not observe Lent, but most, such as Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, Anglicans, and Episcopalians, do.

Lent was also traditionally the term used to describe the period leading up to Christmas before the term Advent was officially recognized.

Quote:
DURATION

Most followers of Western Catholicism observe Lent beginning on Ash Wednesday (midday, 40 days to Palm Sunday) and concluding at the Ninth Hour of Holy Thursday (44 days in the Catholic Church) or on Holy Saturday (46 days).[2][3]

One notable exception is the Archdiocese of Milan which follows the Ambrosian Rite and observes Lent starting exactly 6 weeks before Easter. The six Sundays in Lent are not counted among the forty days because each Sunday represents a "mini-Easter," a celebration of Jesus' victory over sin and death.[1] When Lent is to continue until Holy Saturday, this leaves exactly forty days of fasting.

In those churches which follow the Byzantine tradition (e.g. Eastern Orthodox and Eastern Catholics), the forty days of Lent are calculated differently: the fast begins on Clean Monday two days before Ash Wednesday, Sundays are included in the count, so it ends on the Friday before Palm Sunday. The days of Lazarus Saturday, Palm Sunday and Holy Week are considered a distinct period of fasting. For more detailed information about the Eastern Christian practice of Lent, see the article Great Lent. Amongst Oriental Orthodox Christians, there are various local traditions regarding Lent. The Coptic, Ethiopian and Eritrean Orthodox Churches observe a total of fifty-five days for Lent. Joyous Saturday and the week preceding it are counted separately from the forty day fast in accordance with the Apostolic Constitutions giving an extra eight days. The first seven days of the fast are considered by some to be an optional time of preparation.[citation needed] Others attribute these seven days to the fast of Holofernes who asked the Syrian Christians to fast for him after they requested his assistance to repel the invading pagan Persians

quoted from wikipedia

And a Time to Cry "Romans 5: 3-5"

faithful quenga

6,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100

Br1ttana
Crew

Blessed Nerd

11,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:08 pm
You can tickle me pink, orange, red, or blue, but not grey

Thank you Faithful.

Because grey will not do.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:22 am
Ash Wednesday, Lent, and Easter

Calculate Ash Wednesday and Easter

Hope this helps  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

Nerd_of_Many_Faces

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:58 pm
I gave up meat for lent! It bugs my parents a littl e but I think it's a good idea. Plus, my parents won't let me be a full time vegetarian.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:06 am
Thanks guys for your support. I MADE IT THROUGH WITH OUT BREAKING! It was hard but I made it. Oh and HAPPY EASTER!  

Riku Elmwick

3,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200

Royal Crayon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:23 am
I didn't give up anything for lent. sad  
Christian friends

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash