Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Any Topic Guild

Back to Guilds

I will find you... on Gaia! :D 

Tags: friendship, events, hangout, literate, chatting 

Reply Community Lounge
Does music actually help ability?/ What do ya play?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Matrias Fierno

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:30 am
So, I'm about to purchase my second guitar in six months, an Epiphone Dot Studio. I've got a Breedlove acoustic guitar as well that I learned on.

I've played nearly every percussion instrument (except some world percussion instruments), saxophone, and I sing. I've also got terrible grades.

So, I was wondering what you guys's opinions were on whether being involved with music actually helps develop character, grades, or social skills.

Also, I was wondering what instruments everyone plays here. I'm guessing Bass plays bass, but beyond that I have no clue. smile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:34 am
... Did I just get namedropped? ******** yeah! biggrin

xd Actually, I play electric guitar. I've got a blue Squer Stratocaster and a back Ibanez S470.

I'm going to be borrowing a bass guitar off my first ex girlfriend soon so I can be a temp bass player in my girlfriend's band until they find one that can be properly dedicated.

In my opinion the only difference that comes from playing an instrument is that you listen to music differently. For me, listening to heavy metal now is different to before I started playing guitar. I listen to the riffs more closely and try and picture how they might be played. It's an interesting development, it also makes me appreciate the songs more, knowing how difficult it can be to nail a riff.

If you get good enough with an instrument, I suppose it might help your social skills if you join or form a band of some form. smile  

Bassios

6,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200

blue_green

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:07 am
Personally, I sing and that's it. I get fairly good grades, but my social skills are quite lacking. I suppose music can help you be better in school, but only if music is not your only focus, because if you only focus on music then music is the only thing you're doing good at. And being in a band can deffinately improve your social life if the band is popular enough.

It is said that listening to Mozart makes you smarter, but it's not gonna give you better work ethic. So, whatever music does for your brain, you've gotta have the qualities to use those improvements.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:08 am

So I namedropped ya, but somewhat inaccurately. razz Damn.

Yeah, I've noticed I can recognize pitch a lot easier, and to me guitar playing is just an extension of the music because I can finally play songs that mean a lot to me.

As far as the social skills thing, I was thinking more along the lines of how I was in marching band and choir. Some of the kids seemed like real achievers, but a lot of them did not. I wanted to see whether others had other opinions, though.

And actually, as far as joining a band go, that's how I got my first friends in this town, was by starting a band. biggrin  

Matrias Fierno

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:58 am
I play piano, and played trumpet in concert band back in high school.

I never really noticed a correlation between my grades and music. I learned to read music while I was sick with chicken pox one year, and got to fine-tune it more when I joined concert band.

I was also never really friends with anyone who was in band with me. I got along well enough with the others in brass, but the conductor mostly ignored us (she was the reason the band fell to pieces, actually...)

My younger brother is extremely passionate about music. His primary instrument is bass, and he's studying to be an audio engineer. His grades were pretty much the exact same as my other brother, who is about as musically inclined as a doorknob.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:12 am
Kals is questing again!

According to a study done by Chorus America, "Children who sing in choruses have greater academic success and more advanced social skills than children who don't sing." source

It actually makes sense because participating in the creation of music stimulates the areas of the brain used for math, creativity, AND language development. There is also a motor control component to it. Making music could also help with expressing emotions in a positive manner rather than acting out. And being part of a musical ensemble teaches teamwork, cooperative skills, and possibly leadership skills as well as boosting self-esteem and fostering a sense of community.

Check sig for details!

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

xDarkPisces

Opinionated Flatterer

12,725 Points
  • Buggin' 500
  • Super Jumper 500
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:29 am
For me, marching band definitely helped in school. It's not so much that the music program itself helped my grades. All of my success was due to enhanced productivity. Practicing trumpet took up so much of my time that I was forced to find better ways to budget the time I spent doing anything else.

But yeah. Trumpet. I sing a bit too, but not very well.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:51 pm
I'm more of the opinion that creative and musical people may not get the best grades, but tend to think in more "creative" ways. I write and play the accordion. My grades were always sorta "meh", but I've got a great imagination.

A better example is my friend Sweeney. He's dyslexic, so reading is really hard for him. But he's an amazing singer and really really talented. I think music and creative thnigs do enhance your life, but maybe not so much in a "It makes you have straight A's, and makes you a perfect member of society" type way.  

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

invisible-weirdo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:46 pm
*wrote a paper a few years back on how music (or at least music programs) benefit children*

Anyway, I play piano (it's been kinda sorta erratically over the last couple years, but I do have a keyboard in my bedroom for whenever I feel like playing) and up until college I was a straight-A student, but that's probably due to how my parents pressured me to get perfect grades/punished anything less sweatdrop

I started playing back when I was like 6 years old, so I can't tell if it has impacted how I listen to music. But I don't think it has since I've always really really sucked at ear training. So....yeah. And I can understand how music can help with social skills, especially if you join a band, orchestra, choir, or something along those lines.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:09 pm
I play the clarinet, sax, and dabbled in a little percussion.

When I was in high school, I had to actually try and fail classes...But then again, I also did sports as well. So in order to compete, I had to maintain a 2.0 grade average...easier done then said.

But then again, it was all about what you spent your time doing. That, and your motivation to work. One of Saludatorian's in my graduation class was actually dyslexic. But, the guy had an iron will to succeed.

I was pretty lazy, but still managed to get my work done in class, cause if I didn't, well... I wouldn't have time for it otherwise. We had sports after school, and then band practice every day except friday from 7pm to 9pm.

And then over the summer, we had band practice ever day. Along with some pre-season X-country training.  

Arcanas

Hunter

AlcoholicPancake
Crew

3,100 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Voter 0
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:24 pm
Matrias Fierno

So I namedropped ya, but somewhat inaccurately. razz Damn.

I believe the " Bass " his name is referencing is:

User Image  
Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces