Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Advice ~ because we care
Prayer and Reading the Bible

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Seraphim6496

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:20 pm
So I need to pray more. I've been thinking and I think the reason I don't is that I feel like I just infuriate God because I do so much crap. I'm tryin to work on that too... I think I'm getting better at that... anyways, I geuss that means I need to read the Bible more, which I do need to. I just can't seem to ever actually pick up the Bible and start reading. Or just sit and pray and talk to God. What do you do that maybe helps you to motivate yourself? Because I really need advice on how to get started on this.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:20 pm
Well, how else are you supposed to know what God wants you to do?
If you don't really know where to start, try finding a verse somebody talks about a lot, maybe the verse of the day, and start reading the chapter it's in to get a fuller picture of what each verse means.
Church really helps with this too, and as you get exposed to more Scriptures you start making connections, and then you'll have built up some good parts of the Bible you can turn to more regularly.

And don't ever think you make God too mad to listen to you; He's our Father, and he only has love for us. I know sometimes we do things that make it seem like we would disappoint Him, but really all He wants is to take care of us. Even when we stray, He just wants us to come back home.

Check out Jesus' parable of the prodigal son.
It starts on Luke 15:11.
^^  

Saint Crazy The Follower

WoodSorrelWitch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:22 pm
Just something quick I'm throwing out there:
You could read a few proverbs and psalms to help get you started. Or the parables are a great place to start, imo.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:15 pm
Saint Crazy S Requiem
If you don't really know where to start, try finding a verse somebody talks about a lot, maybe the verse of the day, and start reading the chapter it's in to get a fuller picture of what each verse means.
Church really helps with this too, and as you get exposed to more Scriptures you start making connections, and then you'll have built up some good parts of the Bible you can turn to more regularly.

I do go to church and I go to a Christian school that has required Bible classes so I am very familiar with the Bible. But I need to read and pray more on my own. If I start doing that, I think it would help with alot of other things I'm having problems with.
I have ideas on where I want to start. I like the book of Ecclesiastes, but it's the motivation I need help with. To pick it up and start reading. I can never seem to force myself to do that.  

Seraphim6496

faithful quenga

6,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:54 pm
Si_Copathic
Saint Crazy S Requiem

I do go to church and I go to a Christian school that has required Bible classes so I am very familiar with the Bible. But I need to read and pray more on my own. If I start doing that, I think it would help with alot of other things I'm having problems with.
I have ideas on where I want to start. I like the book of Ecclesiastes, but it's the motivation I need help with. To pick it up and start reading. I can never seem to force myself to do that.
There's a Time to Laugh "Ephesians 2: 8-9"

you should never have to FORCE yourself to read the bible 1 John 5:3-4a "This is love for God: To obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world". Maybe start off with little prayers like "God, I need your help, I want to become closer to you, father. I need your guidance. I want to follow your will for my life Lord. Tell me what you want me to do" Then just listen or just pray little prayers like that through out the day and it will help. I know when I wake up and pray instantly before I even get out of bed I feel so much better and as I continue to pray through out the day things are easier. Listening to God is important for me too. Do you have a reserved time in your day where you can get one on one with God with NO interruptions? Maybe go to a private place in your house or in your city and just sit the the bible and have a conversation with God. no matter how many times you mess up God will never become angry with you. God is always there trying to cheer you on to do the right thing. 2 John 1:3 "Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and from Jesus Christ, The Father's son, will be with us in truth and spirit". and remember Proverbs 3:6 " In everything you do, put God first, and he will direct you and crown your efforts with success."

And a Time to Cry "Romans 5: 3-5"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:17 pm
faithful quenga
Si_Copathic
Saint Crazy S Requiem

There's a Time to Laugh "Ephesians 2: 8-9"

you should never have to FORCE yourself to read the bible 1 John 5:3-4a "This is love for God: To obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world". Maybe start off with little prayers like "God, I need your help, I want to become closer to you, father. I need your guidance. I want to follow your will for my life Lord. Tell me what you want me to do" Then just listen or just pray little prayers like that through out the day and it will help. I know when I wake up and pray instantly before I even get out of bed I feel so much better and as I continue to pray through out the day things are easier. Listening to God is important for me too. Do you have a reserved time in your day where you can get one on one with God with NO interruptions? Maybe go to a private place in your house or in your city and just sit the the bible and have a conversation with God. no matter how many times you mess up God will never become angry with you. God is always there trying to cheer you on to do the right thing. 2 John 1:3 "Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and from Jesus Christ, The Father's son, will be with us in truth and spirit". and remember Proverbs 3:6 " In everything you do, put God first, and he will direct you and crown your efforts with success."

And a Time to Cry "Romans 5: 3-5"

Sorry, I guess "force myself" was the wrong thing to use. I mean... like... um... I'm not sure how to put it, but I didn't mean it how I guess it came out. Well it's the same with almost anything. I need to be practically shoved to do something. I know after I've done it awhile I won't need to push myself. But just to get started and all. I didn't mean "force" like I don't want to. I'm sorry if it came out that way.
But thanks, That sounds good; I'll try to do some of that.  

Seraphim6496

emorhconom esor
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:05 pm
When you stop making time for God then you are making other things the priority. So think about what that says to God. "Sorry God but I don't have time for you. Yes, you created everything but this is more important than you." Try to pick a time everyday to spend with God and make the rest of your schedule fit around that.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:20 pm
Since you are familiar with the Bible, take that knowledge that you've built up and relate it to your own life. The things that were said by Jesus and his disciples still apply to us today. As you go about your daily business, think about things like "What has Jesus said about this?" or "What might God's purpose for me be by having me do this?"

Then go to the Bible and try to find something relevant to your thinking. Online searchable Bibles are great for this. I like BibleGateway.com. You can just type in something like "courage" or "humility", whatever might be on your mind...

I know how you feel, I find it hard to motivate myself to do something also (I have math homework that I need to do... gross. xD) but it tends to be easier when you have somebody there with you. If you want, try talking to a close friend or church member about it, or ask them what their favorite verse is and why, and get into your own discussion about it. Then it won't feel as weird going home and reading more.

As a procrastinator, I know that the hardest part to doing something new is getting started. razz So just go for it. Don't bother stopping to think- you'll just start second-guessing. Don't be afraid to dive in.  

Saint Crazy The Follower

Advice ~ because we care

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff