Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Questions and Assistance
Scam? (A)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

genkiuno

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:59 pm
I got this pop up a few minutes ago after posting in a thread in LD food section. It said something like
Authentication Error,
admin, Slow down buddy, your loading a lot of web pages, your going to need to re-log in to prove your not a bot or risk being banned.
Username:
Password:
I closed out the window, because I didn't want to take a chance in was a scam
Has anyone else got this or know if its for real?

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:22 pm
It definitely is. Anything asking for your password is a scam.
Report the thread and make sure to include the page number it popped up on  

Skyscraper Opera

last_time_no_more

Welcoming Conversationalist

7,250 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:48 pm
Definatly a scam! I've accutally ran into something like that... but it didnt have words just a log-in pop-up.  
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:11 am

Anything that pops asking for your username and password in a scam, yes. Never provide them to anything other than the legit Gaia login box.

ALTHOUGH; if the servers are busy and running slow, there is a legitimate error message that gives the 'Slow down buddy' error message- it does not, however, ask you for any personal information at all. You just need to reload the page to clear it after waiting a few moments. I've seen it a few times, mostly during events. It basically says 'Slow down buddy, you're loading pages too fast. Take a few minutes to cool down' and then nothing else comes of it.

The error you received may have been legit, but the popup associated with it certainly was not. It could also have been a clever scriptor using one of the less common errors in an attempt to make the message appear legit.

As said above, report the incident and page with any information you have available.

Daypaw

Hardened Member

Elemental Doll

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:17 am
That has also happened to me before. I just exited it out, and opened a new tab. It is a scam, so..
Just ignore it. -^^-  
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:16 am
Never ran into this before, though, try to avoid it from popping into your screen by downloading those security programs like for example, WOT, aka Wall of Trust. Also download CCleaner which could clean your computer for those viruses, etc.  

x-Hatsya-x

3,550 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Red RRabbit

Friendly Gekko

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:19 pm
Yes, it's a scam. I got one of those bout a month ago  
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:39 pm
general rule of thumb... dont EVER give your password to any pop up or website other than on the gaia sign in page  

somnium yum

5,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Clambake 200
  • First step to fame 200
☆ Questions and Assistance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items