Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:31 pm
So, let's discuss two things.

The prices in the marketplace, always a popular thing to complain about. Back in -my- day, donation items didn't start out at such a ridiculous price. Evolving items too. -.-

And, I can't destroy items anymore? Anyone know anything about that specific issue? >_> I can't destroy my junk anymore. I'd have to try and sell it for 1 gold in the marketplace which is really, really tedious and boring.  
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:56 pm
you used to be able to trash your trash? O_o; huh. didn't know that was an option. there would have probably been far fewer newspaper wigs to sell. 3nodding

yeah. more and more the prices of items are unfathomably high O_o why? why knows! i'd love to see if anybody could actually afford one of those ridonkulously priced items and still have gold leftover to mess around with.
when i first got here i wasn't in the marketplace for a good long time after joining. i just had some basic gear and was perfectly happy to not have to trade/sell/buy things on the market place (for those of you who remember... it wasn't always so ... simple sweatdrop had to get a trade pass, and do some fancyness just to SELL stuff.. etc. pain in the a**).
i also don't understand why some of them that you can also get in the stores are so much higher than their regular buy price. gonk don't people do any research/reading before letting people commit daylight robbery?

and in -your- days, did people also walk up hill in snow storms in their father's pajamas just to get online, gramps? ;D  

~DR.MOOFASA~

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:59 pm
Marketplace prices are a perfect way to understand how a currency can become devalued. Also they are a good way to understand how people can undermine a stable price with unchecked greed. Every time a sword goes on sale in the cash shop watch the price of the year one sword. It Plummets because everyone sells them 100-500 gold cheaper then the last guy. It's hard to watch the price of an item you wanted to sell go from 6000 to 2000 and plummet some more.  
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:29 pm
true, never thought about the reverse problem.
but why, then do some items drop drastically in price but other stay expensive or even climb to a point of unecessarily expensive? confused

...i don't get economics. >.O;  

~DR.MOOFASA~

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:57 pm
Because people tend to be buttfaces. biggrin

And back in my day, I had to wrestle a crocobear and do three hundred push-ups before climbing treasure mountain, and then, if I'm lucky and pray a lot, I get 3 minutes of online time before the dial-up quit and left me with that annoying phone sound.

And those items that raise up in price are due to people that buy multiple versions of them. Not just to complete a quest, but to destroy the supply and raise prices to sell 'em back. And if they're really bad about it, they take those items and -back in my day when the trash button was there- they'd trash 'em to permanently kill the market for that item. Think of the potential when doing this to high value and demanded items. This makes quests impossible unless you're an old member who has some donations items you don't mind parting with... =(

Items that become really cheap are the result of people flooding the market, lots of people trying to undersell each other like idiots, and the item not being in demand at all, which when mixed with the other two, result in horrible selling prices for vendors.  
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:05 am
Kals is questing again!

I blame Ocean Party! Seriously, I have raked in more gold in the past two months or whatever playing OP than I was able to raise in a year of kind-of-but-not-really trying to raise it properly via posting etc. It's like if the bank just decided to print a buttload of money and hand it out to people. Prices would go up because the money would be worth less than it previously was.

And in MY day, you had to set your modem on redial for two hours straight in order to get online because there were only 20 connections available for the entire town and you'd just keep getting a busy signal until someone logged off. And also paying by the minute once you get online, which is no big deal until you remember page load times were stupid. Like... click a link, go get a cup of coffee, come back to discover the page still hasn't loaded because it has like 3 pictures on it, let the dog out to pee, then find out that page was not what you wanted anyways.

Check sig for details!

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:10 am
Ocean Party!? What are those young whippersnappers playing at?  
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:38 am
ummmm in your full inventory... there should be pretty much a "sell back" button.. which is pretty much like the trash button but you get atleast a little gold out of it right?  

Dan D Lie N

Beloved Perfectionist

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:40 am
The issue is, that I don't want the gold, and a lot of my items are not store bought, so I cannot sell them back.

I don't really need or want gold either, I just want cleanliness. :3  
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:40 am
This started waaayyyy before Ocean Party came out...which has only made the situation worse admittedly.

It started once you could get massive amounts of gold just for buying EI/RIG/Aquarium fish and sell it to those who can't/won't pay cash for it.

Mix that with the wonderful invention of Booty Grab and the economy goes down the tubes.

Rica is insane

6,500 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:15 pm
I can understand some price changes by maybe 5-to even-30 thousand gold depending on the item, but an item like the Compass of Siedh (sp?) coming out in February and the 1st gen being something like 1.3 million now, there's something wrong. The Imaginary Friend seems to be normal priced, similar to Hermes' Moon way back when in pricing.

And hmm, looks like only certain items have the trash button. I think it used to be all of them. I can't be sure now. D8<  
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:32 pm
I agree with you completely.
One of the reasons I quit Gaia until recently is because everything I wanted was always so pricey (that, and college of course). I mean, I go on Gaia, yes, but I have a life outside of the internet. >.>

The most I've ever gotten without spending anything is 80k. And today someone donated 200k to me for my quest O.O
Just another 2million to go... >.>
I probably will get bored again and stop doing it.

Any ways, if you're having trouble, starting a donation thread ought to help. I got 200k in my second day.
It's crazy how people can get so much gold. But it's nice to know there are people so generous on here.  

Valentina Ambrosia Dizon

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:58 pm
I think I just have to develop and adopt a new Gaian philosophy where I realize that these are pixels and while they can be amusing, they're still pixels that a person should not have to give up a ridiculous amount of their life for in any case.

I'd like some more shop updates. :3  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:27 pm
Jaft
I think I just have to develop and adopt a new Gaian philosophy where I realize that these are pixels and while they can be amusing, they're still pixels that a person should not have to give up a ridiculous amount of their life for in any case.

I'd like some more shop updates. :3

agreed. 3nodding i've accepted long ago that i'll never be able to afford the newer items right off the bat xD
i used to fawn over some items, even some of the less expensive, store items... but now? meh. i guess being hacked (and having gaia totally ignore you when you figure out who it is/they won't do a thing to help you get your item's back >_>; ), after a while, makes you realize you don't need all that stuff.  

~DR.MOOFASA~

Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff