Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Advice ~ because we care
Dating Non-christians

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MizzHinata247

4,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:56 am
I have a problem, right now I'm dating a non-christian he's atheist and my parents want me to break up with him. He's willing to convert to Christianity but only so we can still be together. I'm happy that he wants to become a christian just not under the circumstances. I don't know what to do, someone please help!  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:51 am
I would take your parent's advice.

With your boy friend wanting to convert, it's great, but his motives are all wrong and he is not sincere. Say you two ever broke up....he would probably resume being atheist (of course this is all just a guess.)

Bottom line, and I wish I would have learned this long ago, but parents always know what is best!  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Saint Crazy The Follower

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:54 pm
I think, if you really want to help him, be his friend instead. I don't mean stop caring about him; I mean change the relationship from casual dating to a real friendship. That way you can grow together without having to worry about the pressures of dating and possible hurt later on.
And when you grow together as friends and get to know each other more, maybe he can see how important Christ is to you, and he can start a real relationship with God.

Best of luck. Be sure to talk to your parents and him about it. ^^  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:06 pm
ooo atheist ....
well right now i have a friend that courting me that is non-christian
and i also don't know what to do...
all i do when i think of him is pray for him ,,, and that GOD will guide me to preach the bible to him .. its so complicated  

sakura_hime8

2,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

digital_kobraX

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:34 pm
dont just give up on him because he is not a christian
its your job to help people and tell them about god
this might be god giving you a chance to change someone life.  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 pm
You're supposed to listen to your parent's in most cases, this is not one of them, date him tell you're parent's that you're going to date him, i really don't know the verse but Paul was writing to the church in Corinth after he found out they where divorcing their none christian spouses, he said something along the lines of just because they are none Christian doesn't mean they cannot marry a Christian. Though his motives may be wrong about converting maybe he will see the light if you continue you're relationship and expose him to church and the Bible.  

The_Cursed_Phoenix

Riku Elmwick

3,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:35 pm
Well I would probably break up with him.  
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:07 am
Christianity is a rellationship so if he doesn't have a relationship with Christ than he wouldn't be a Christian. Paul said we should be with a non-believe beacause rather you think it or not it will effect your walk in a negitive way. Just look at Solomon, he married women that didn't believe and God. Even though he was considered a wise man he still ended up building alters to his wives' gods. Also it says honor thy mother and father. Not obeying a conmandment is a sin. Which would make you a stumbling block for others. In I think its Joel, I'll look it up later, it say if we become a stumbling block for others and we ignore the signs God will take your life. Just remember the children in your church are looking up to as an example. You may not think it but they are, so don't become a stumbling block for them. This may not make senselater since I'm typing this at 2 am.  

emorhconom esor
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

Kyramud

Lonely Phantom

7,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:08 am
Shadows-shine

Bottom line, and I wish I would have learned this long ago, but parents always know what is best!

Not exactly true for everyone. In your case, if you'd like to think so, then sure. Why not. But as for myself, I don't think that statement applies to my parents, for reasons I don't intend to go into on a public forum.

I would encourage you not to have a casual dating relationship with this guy, but to continue to develop your friendship.

If the only reason he wants to 'convert' would be because that's the only way to have a further relationship with you, then those circumstances tend to leave questions as to whether he is truly connected to his new faith, or if it's a sham and he was just going through the motions while your relationship lasts.

'Curse-of-the-Pheonix' is correct. Listen to your parents in most cases, not necessarily all.  
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:25 pm
I will speak out of PERSONAL expirience. I dated a boy were was athiest and brought him to GOD. It took some effort and a few tears but it was worth it. he moved last summer after I baptized him. My father is also an unbeliever and my mom is a believer. I can't say that he will become a believer...becuase that is something I honestly can't change. But I encourage you to keep trying. If you let him down that is another lost and without Gods grace.

God Be With You All  

saphiragale

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:59 pm
Kyramud
Shadows-shine

Not exactly true for everyone. In your case, if you'd like to think so, then sure. Why not. But as for myself, I don't think that statement applies to my parents, for reasons I don't intend to go into on a public forum.

I would encourage you not to have a casual dating relationship with this guy, but to continue to develop your friendship.

If the only reason he wants to 'convert' would be because that's the only way to have a further relationship with you, then those circumstances tend to leave questions as to whether he is truly connected to his new faith, or if it's a sham and he was just going through the motions while your relationship lasts.

'Curse-of-the-Pheonix' is correct. Listen to your parents in most cases, not necessarily all.

Well I am not going to argue about how bad parents are. In view of what God says, that we should honor our mother and father, then that needs to be obeyed. I have always been of the impression now that I am married and am a parent myself, that my parent's really did have my best interests in mind when they told what to do and what not to do. Though we may not agree with every thing they do or say, we still need to obey them.  
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:26 am
You can tickle me pink, orange, red, or blue, but not grey

In Corinthians (I think, I could be wrong), Paul says to not be yolked with Unbelievers "for what fellowship does righteousness have with unrighteousnesses and light with darkness?" (might be slightly paraphrased, sorry about that. : ( ). Also I have heard some stories where a person has said to their lover "I'll be a Christian", but it's not sincere and then there are problems in the marriage mostly because the unbeliever just isn't comfortable/is annoyed with the faith. Listen to your parents because they know what they are talking about. You may however develop a friendship with the guy and through that try leading him to Christ. Thewayofthemaster.com is a great starter tool for talking to people about Christ. Also, a tip that I've heard really helps, view your relationship as a three person relationship with Jesus at the center. ^_^

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I see others are going over the "parents know best" issue, and for the most part they do. You should obey, respect, honor, and please your parents. Here is the exception though, if they tell you to do something that is against the Lord, his word, or something that you KNOW for sure will very much harm you, then just say "I am a Christian and I can't do that. I'm sorry. I love you and will do anything else that you ask of me, but not that. I'm sorry."

Because grey will not do.

Br1ttana
Crew

Blessed Nerd

11,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
Advice ~ because we care

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash