Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Advice Forum
What do you think of 100% perfect genre duplication?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Keisaku Hakurei

3,300 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Voter 0
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:40 pm
I'm thinking... if I ever get around to writing any stories, I might deliberately duplicate faults of a genre...

For instance, when duplicating a non-Japanese genre, I might deliberately name a character who is supposed to be Japanese "Yue Akuma" to joke about the ignorance the average American has about Japan. (Yue being a morbid name given to babies who didn't live long enough to get a name, and Akuma not only being the word for "devil" but also being a forbidden name.)

Or if I'm copying the formula of a Japanese entertainment genre, I might name an American "Raymond Luxury Yacht", in parody of non-Japanese people having odd names in Japanese entertainment.

Or if it's a story set in the era of and based off of entertainment made when blackface was not only not considered offensive in America but even a common sight, I might put in a blackface character or two.

In other words, I would be taking the faults and deliberately using them, and acting like those things would be perfectly normal... like there was nothing odd about them whatsoever.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:12 pm
go for it...this methodology has been done before. For people who like this sort of puzzlement...they find it challenging and interesting. Esp. when you incorporate characters and settings with the same. And everything is up to interpretation...

for example: Lost...drove people to the edge finding the "hidden" meanings...it could make writing more fun as you find ingenius ways to express the sameo sameo....

good luck and share when you get a story together...  

Chimaria

Advice Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff