Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
The course to repent successfully? (Please help..)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

sexichyna

6,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:03 am
No ones perfect but I want sooo badly to grow close to god.
I believe in him and in all his might but I feel like I'm doing nothing but walking in place.

I've read up on various articles about praying daily, calling out to him, fasting, repenting of my earthly sins....etc...

But as far as repenting goes, no one says why clearly.
One article expressed that I must weep and sorrow to him, declaring that I have wronged and another says that sorrow does no good but its a matter of trying to make a change.

and a third article nearly scared the crap out of me as far as judgment day that regardless, if the 10 commandments are broken (admit to a couple since a child as far as white lies), we aren't forgiven fully but instead all of our past is presented again before us. That changing our lifestyle does nothing....

Can I get some serious discussion and insight on this. I haven't been spiritually connected on a level that I want to be at and feeling like I don't stand a chance even AFTER getting closer to god really breaks my heart.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:36 am
User Image

Yeah I was going to post a question similar to this.

I having troubles with this too.

User Image

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

WoodSorrelWitch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:42 am
    I have broken all ten commandments at some point in my life. Praise Jesus that He's there for all of us when we stumble.

From my understanding, this is how it works:

Admit to God your sins. Confess to him openly. We are human and He is God, we need Him so much. Ask for forgiveness and ask for the strength and the ability to not commit that sin again.
    Repenting is great but we also must remember to turn from that sin once we repent. And often times, we need to pray to God for help every time we face temptation (it should be that way).

God knows we are not perfect. We are going to stumble. When we do, thank the Lord that Jesus is there. He speaks to the Father on our behalf.

When God forgives us, he cleans our slate. We are made white as snow again. When we stand before God, He will hold us accountable for everything we did or didn't do. And that's why Jesus intercedes on our behalf. If Jesus knows us, we will be welcomed into heaven to stay with God for eternity.

That's my understanding, if I am wrong about something, please share.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:08 am
User Image

So what happens if you sin and you don't get a chance to repent before you die?

User Image

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Saint Crazy The Follower

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:11 pm
The truth is, the things we /do/ don't clean us from our sins. What we humans do will never get us to the kingdom of God.
That what makes God's grace so important - it's through faith in God's forgiveness, and none of our works, that God accepts us into his kingdom.

I see repentance as less of an action, and more of a state of mind.
If we were left to our own devices, we would die, no buts about it.
But by changing the way we think, we have the power to change where we're headed. If we want to choose to follow Jesus, we have to stop thinking like people and start thinking like Jesus.

So that means that when we are faced with sin, we recognize it and know that it's evil, and that we need God's forgiveness for the sin within us. If you have that state of mind, you know the sin is wrong even if you give in to it... and hopefully, you recognize how horrible you're being and pleading for God's forgiveness anyway.

God knows we are weak and stumble sometimes. But God also knows if your love for Him is sincere. If you continue to follow Christ and continually strive to be more like him, sin will be an obstacle, but it won't stop you.
Following Jesus doesn't mean troubles won't come - he acknowledged that himself. But being a follower means that God will guide us through the tough spots so that we might be stronger and overcome more things in the future.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:01 pm
Saint Crazy S Requiem
The truth is, the things we /do/ don't clean us from our sins. What we humans do will never get us to the kingdom of God.
That what makes God's grace so important - it's through faith in God's forgiveness, and none of our works, that God accepts us into his kingdom.

I see repentance as less of an action, and more of a state of mind.
If we were left to our own devices, we would die, no buts about it.
But by changing the way we think, we have the power to change where we're headed. If we want to choose to follow Jesus, we have to stop thinking like people and start thinking like Jesus.

So that means that when we are faced with sin, we recognize it and know that it's evil, and that we need God's forgiveness for the sin within us. If you have that state of mind, you know the sin is wrong even if you give in to it... and hopefully, you recognize how horrible you're being and pleading for God's forgiveness anyway.

God knows we are weak and stumble sometimes. But God also knows if your love for Him is sincere. If you continue to follow Christ and continually strive to be more like him, sin will be an obstacle, but it won't stop you.
Following Jesus doesn't mean troubles won't come - he acknowledged that himself. But being a follower means that God will guide us through the tough spots so that we might be stronger and overcome more things in the future.

Yes only God's grace is what cleanses us and saves us, but if works didn't matter then the scriptures wouldn't put so much emphasis on them.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Br1ttana
Crew

Blessed Nerd

11,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:50 am
You can tickle me pink, orange, red, or blue, but not grey

In a passage of scripture that I read today I found two verses that I think give a pretty good picture of what repenting is exactly. They're not about us repenting or the process of repenting, but I think they might help you get a better understanding of what repenting is.

The Lord talking about punishing Israel for their sinning: "For this shall the earth mourn, and the heavens be black: because I have spoken it, I have purposed it, and will not repent, neither will I turn from it." Jeremiah 4:28

"Circumcise yourselves to the LORD, and take away the foreskins of your heart," Jeremiah 4:4 From what I can tell, I think that's basically saying, Give yourself fully to the Lord and cut off the bad things/sins on your heart which is kind of what repenting is like.

"Oh Jerusalem, wash thine heart from wickedness, that thou mayest be saved. How long shall thy vain thoughts lodge within thee?" Jeremiah 4:14 Pretty much same as last one; get rid of all the bad and turn from it completely.

Also, from Dictionary.com, here is the definitions for repent:

Quote:
to feel sorry, self-reproachful, or contrite for past conduct; regret or be conscience-stricken about a past action, attitude, etc. (often fol. by of ): He repented after his thoughtless act.
to feel such sorrow for sin or fault as to be disposed to change one's life for the better; be penitent.
–verb (used with object)
to remember or regard with self-reproach or contrition: to repent one's injustice to another.
to feel sorry for; regret: to repent an imprudent act.

Origin:
1250–1300; ME repenten < OF repentir, equiv. to re- re- + pentir to feel sorrow (< L paenitēre to regret, be sorry); see penitent

And penitent:

Quote:
feeling or expressing sorrow for sin or wrongdoing and disposed to atonement and amendment; repentant; contrite.
–noun
a penitent person.

Origin:
1325–75; ME < ML pēnitent-, L paenitent- (s. of paenitēns ), prp. of paenitēre to regret;

Because grey will not do.

Bible and other christian discussions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff