Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Christian friends
Opinions, please~

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vumit

Tipsy Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:31 pm
So the other day, a group of friends and I we're going to make a prayer circle at lunch. Isn't it allowed if the event is student led? Apparently not, the teachers sent us all to detention. "You don't need to show off your Religion" is what one of the teachers told us, and she's a Christian.

-Comments?
-Opinions?

I'm confused..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:58 pm
It is a known fact that church and state are to be excluded and some laws exclude religion and despite many religions being fine,christ is cut out.It is truly ridiculous if you ask me  

psychocat Inc

Seraphim6496

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:09 pm
it should be perfectly fine if it is not sponsored by the school. Its stupid that Christianity is the ONLY religion that makes people mad. As for "separation of church and state" that never appears in ANY of out official lawful documents. It only appeared in a letter from Thomas Jefferson to a Baptist organization and the context was to protect the church from government, not to keep the church out of anything sponsored by the government. its all aload of crap...  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:20 pm
That's kind of odd...In my high school (no it's not a Christian school), a teacher has a bible club that he is head of. It was just a place where students could go after school and study the bible. The school doesn't care that he has it, in fact they support it. So I don't see why you and your friends got in trouble for praying if a teacher and a group of students meet to pray, study the bible, and fellowship together.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Saint Crazy The Follower

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:01 pm
Hmm. Now, I don't mean to advise you to go around breaking the rules, but I don't advise you to stop praying either.

Perhaps you were making too much of a scene of it? If you want to start a prayer group, try doing it after school or some other time, when you can be sure you're not bothering anybody. I knew one student in high school who did a little Bible study after school, he didn't advertise it or anything, it was mostly a word-of-mouth thing. Nobody bothered him (that I know of) because it was really just a few kids hanging around the common area after school talking about the Bible.

It's a very good thing you're trying to organize something like that - I say go for it. We can't always change the rules or our circumstances but I hope you find a way to make the best of it.

Starting your own prayer group or Bible study is the kind of things that gets you brownie points on college applications, etc, so it is odd that they would turn it down.

I hope you can stay positive about this, getting mad or offended at things like this can make it worse. I hope you can work something out! smile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Heck, if that teacher was a Christian and she took you to detention. Call her a hypocrite. I care less about what happens because God is above ALL things. People like her dont have the right to take down one's religion. At my school, my friends and I pray before we eat our lunches and no one does anything about it.  

JrSuper

faithful quenga

6,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:03 am
There's a Time to Laugh "Ephesians 2: 8-9"

you have freedom of speech, which means you are free to pray.

Don't feel disheartened by this at all. As long as you aren't trying to disrupt the whole school, I don't see why they would cause such a fuss.
1 John 3:13 "Do not be surprised, my brothers, if the world hates us."

1 Peter 4:16 "However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name."

1 Peter 5:10 "And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm, and steadfast."

There are many scriptures that tell us that we should always stay prayerful. So in no way is that showing off your religion.

And a Time to Cry "Romans 5: 3-5"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:57 am
I find it odd since some kids are allowed to have beards because of the religion they worship.
(I wants a beard ):<)  

psychocat Inc

faithful quenga

6,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:05 pm
psychocat Inc
I find it odd since some kids are allowed to have beards because of the religion they worship.
(I wants a beard ):<)
There's a Time to Laugh "Ephesians 2: 8-9"

My husband was just talking about that last night. The school dress code was that there be no facial hair but all those people were allowed to have them because of their religion. I think Christianity is picked on so much and it's unfair. But all I can do is just pray for all the people who talk down about Christianity.

And a Time to Cry "Romans 5: 3-5"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:48 pm
That's illegal! I would suggest take it up with the school supervisor or at one of the school board meetings.  

emorhconom esor
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

Green_Fuu

Fashionable Lunatic

10,600 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:18 pm
I used to pray for my food during lunch when I was in high school.
never had a problem.

The only way they would have had the right to call your attention on that was if you were doing it in a disruptive manner.
If that wasn't the case what you can do is raise a petition and have people sign it, or what gothic rose said.

Christian friends

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games