Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Advice ~ because we care
Reading the Bible

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

thes270

Questionable Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:58 am
So I'm somewhat new to christianity and although I've learned a lot from just attending church services and sunday school, I would like to try to dive into the scripture on my own and see what my interpretations are. The problem that I have encountered is that there are many books in the bible and I'm not sure where to start. It's a little overwhelming to be honest. Any suggestions for a good book to start in and then maybe a few follow-up books?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:21 am
I've always found it hard to read the Bible from cover to cover and I've been a Christian for most of my life. Some people like to use those study bibles that will help you get through the Bible from Genesis to Revelation in one year. I'm not sure how effective they are because I personally don't like them.

Some books I like to read in the Bible are the New Testament as a whole and Psalms, Proverbs, Job, Isaiah, Daniel---from the Old Testament.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Hidden By Music

6,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Generous 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:45 am
i wouldn't read it from cover to cover, but I would start with Genisis it being the beginning. That's just me  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:36 pm
I say you start at matthew/Genesis. Matthew because it's filled with much rich truth that Jesus teaches and it the new testament. And Genesis because it's the beggining and alot of important people are in it that the new testament relates to such as Abraham but the new testament talks about people throught the whole old testament, it's just I guess Genesis is a good place to start aside from Matthew. and if you ever have trouble reading it I say you go to http://www.gty.org/ and type down the verse(s) where you see search or you can also try this http://www.gty.org/Resources/Bible+Book+Studies it's all the books he's done a teaching on and it's one sermon for one verse or verses because some verses go together smile I mean it helps and he gives you a good view of things and sometimes it will just make you go WOAH!  

starry night-163

faithful quenga

6,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:42 pm
I am a sinner... "1 John 1:8"

Starting at the firs book of the bible is always a good place to start and just read through it like that. It's also good to start from a book of the bible that you may have heard in church many times and go from there.

Pray about it before you open the bible. Ask God to show you where the it is he wants you to learn from.

Right now I'm working on reading the bible through genesis/matthew. it's on a calender and I think it will help me read though the bible in a year. though I don't have my mind absolutely set on that because it's what the Lord wants for me that is most important. i've read the entire new testament from matthew to revelations though because for me I learned the most and it kept me most interested.

... Saved by God's grace "Acts 15:11"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:19 pm
Me personally I started a Genesis but you can also start at Mathew that would help too Good luck.  

Cha cha miku

thes270

Questionable Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:38 am
Thanks for all the advice guys. I've actually already read through the book of Genisis in my sunday school class so I think I'll start with Mathew and see where things go from there.  
Advice ~ because we care

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games