Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Word Games
Hacking: Why it sucks for everyone.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TheChief-5

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:09 am
Wasn't sure which forum this would fit under, so i went with chatterbox...

Most people have heard about hacking in some form or another. Wether it be from the movies where hackers override tv's or computer screens, or from the news where they send out virus's, maybe from the stories of phishing and identity theft, or you could have heard it by word of mouth in the form of cheating and modding games and such. All of these are forms of hacking.

In order to be safe, follow the basic rules of the internet. Be extremely careful where you type your passwords. Don't be giving them all willy-nilly to people who claim to be legitimate. Make sure they are. Read the safety tips for each website to learn how each site handles security. Try to have a different password for just about everything. Keeping track of them may be difficult, so write them down. NOT ON THE COMPUTER. If someone gets into your computer and they find the file, they will know all of your passwords. Write on paper. A common practice it to have a pocket journal with passwords. Of course you should keep that book as safe as you can. If you lose it, change your passwords again and make another book. The most secure passwords are those that have no significance. My method is something i like to call "Key-bashing." You have some document open (so you can see the password, don't save it) and just mash your keyboard. (an example: pq9u4girnIUEF) Try to throw in some numbers and capital letters.

Sometimes you can still be hacked regardless of how safe you are, but it's significantly less likely if you have secure practices. Also having multiple difficult passwords makes it much, much harder for the hacker. Having some security is better than none at all.

Why am I telling you this? Two reasons:
1. It's always a good thing to be safe.
2. I just discovered that I was fully hacked a couple days ago.

I will tell you my story, but for the summary you can skip to the end.

On Feb. 2nd, 2011 I received an email. Fine, except that I had apparently sent it to myself. I didn't send an email, so I was confused. I opened the email and here is what it said:
Quote:
Hey, Jon.

A long time ago, I stole your GaiaOnline account. This is probably around 2008 or 2007?

Anyway, your email password was the same. From that, I found your paypal password. I bought random people games with your steam account and if you do chargeback your steam will be disabled.

There's 100 dollars gone, for your terrible security practices.

Also, I set your status to "buttf**king"

That's all. Make sure none of your passwords are "druml1n3", "Druml1n3", or "hal0-3"

-Anonymous

You can go ahead and try those passwords if you want, but i already removed them from everything. Also, i censored it just because. He had changed my g-talk status, just as he said. I am currently investigating this incident. Every single website where i have an account has been contacted and all of my billing information was then promptly removed (by me.) My steam account is currently disabled and two people who received the games from the hacker have contacted me so far saying that their accounts were disabled. (he sent the gifts using my email.) This guy at the very least will have his steam account permanently disabled (losing all the games he bought.) Paypal is most likely going to give my money back. This guy is gonna get his just dessert.

tl;dr being hacked obviously sucks, but being a hacker sucks more when we catch you. Jerks! Don't hack, and be secure!

Side note: Steam said that if paypal pays me back, my account will remain disabled, but it the charges go through my account will open. So it's a lose-lose at this point. Either pay for games i didn't buy, of lose the games i did buy. There is nothing in any of their ToS or User Agreement that mentions being the victim of hacking, only being the actual hacker. A warning to anyone thinking about getting a steam account: they are not friendly to victims of hacking. I'll keep this thread updated with my progress.

3/2/10 Update: So... paypal payed be back (yay!) and steam gave me my account back (yay again!), but banned my paypal from their system. Which is fine.
All my passwords were changed and are crazy and nothing odd has happened. I got a new check card, and one of the guys who received a stolen game (unknowingly) got his account back. No news on whether the hacker has been found or whatever. All my stuff is back to normal, so i'm all happy and ready to worry about my regular problems again. ^^  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:23 am
Woah.. I'm so sorry. Good luck in getting your money back. And thanks for posting. This shows how serious hacking really is.  

xMockingJay

5,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200

TheChief-5

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:32 am
Yeah, when it its home you just want too get the word out.
I'm lucky with the fact that he slipped up with how he used the money.
I'm almost completely certain that I know his Steam account.
he has 93 games, and if I manage to get his account disabled then he'll lose a lot more than I did.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:36 am
Well I don't reccommend accusing anyone without proof. You might get in trouble for that. But you know now that I'm right behind you whee  

xMockingJay

5,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200

Naomi Kyuuten

5,550 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:37 am
I got hacked for five days on my gaia account, and I couldn't access it until a Moderator fixed it. :c

Good luck getting your money back.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:42 am
@ Sparkycc: yeah, if i make a false accusation, i'll feel like a total jerk. So far I have two other people who said they received a game from this guy (gave the same name, and both games were on the list of those bought from my account), also one says that he had someone supervise the trade, so i'll soon have a third person. I want an airtight case to throw at this guy.

@ II lra II: Thanks.  

TheChief-5

The Little Pest

Romantic Raider

7,625 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:20 pm
Sorry to hear you got hacked. I agree, it is wise to take precautions(sp) against hacking.

ninja
Fix'd your spelling problem. =3
ninja  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:53 pm
Yeah, being the victim of a hacking sucks horribly. My first Gaia account was hacked, then reported for hacking by the same person, and just after I managed to clear everything up, they permab&'d me. After that my MapleStory merchanting account was hacked, lost well over 100mil worth of items that I'll probably never get back (thankfully I keep all the extremely important things spread over at least 5 other accounts, so nothing of real value (Godly epic equips and what not) were lost. Best thing to do is keep everything separate from itself, so that should something happen you don't lose everything under the sun, as well as possibly your identity.  

A Nice Salami

Aged Member

8,400 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Doctor Manny

8,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:32 pm
Sorry dude, My dad steam account got disabled for a while because they thought he was a nazi because he'd go axis to even out the teams (on call of duty I think), and another reason not to save your passwords on your computer is that your hard drive break and and then you'd loose all you passwords.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:31 pm
UPDATE! ::

Steam contacted me and said that they had come to the conclusion that the purchases were indeed made by the hacker and have re-enabled my account (yay!)

If i cancel the paypal disputes, then Steam says they will refund the money.
If i do not cancel the disputes, then their system will automatically ban my paypal from their service. (which is fine i guess)

I received an email from the user who was disabled from receiving Call of Duty. he said his account is back up.

No news on what's happening to the suspected Steam user who will remain unnamed at this time.  

TheChief-5

Afi_Kino

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:48 pm
My email got hacked a few weeks ago. I haven't used an IM since, because it's gonna be hard to get those contacts back D: And I don't know what the b*****d's doing with it right now.

It sucks that you lost/may have lost money though :/  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:53 pm
My original gaia account got hacked back in 06 and i still haven't got it back sad  

roses are forever

TheChief-5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:00 pm
I guess i should update this XD

So... paypal payed be back (yay!) and steam gave me my account back (yay again!), but banned my paypal from their system. Which is fine.
All my passwords were changed and are crazy and nothing odd has happened. I got a new check card, and one of the guys who received a stolen game (unknowingly) got his account back. No news on whether the hacker has been found or whatever. All my stuff is back to normal, so i'm all happy and ready to worry about my regular problems again. ^^  
☆ Word Games

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games