Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
Sleep Paralysis

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

serene__

8,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:50 pm
Before you read this, here is some info to sum this sleeping disorder up.
(For details google it.)
- Happens when mind wakes up in REM sleep.
- Hallucinations/Suffocation

Mine isn't serious enough to visit the doctor, but I just had another experience last night.
I was curled up with my back uncovered by my blanket and facing the wall. I heard this tap-tap noise behind me. It continued on for about twenty seconds while I couldn't move a muscle. I can't describe how horrifying it was because I actually heard it. It was as real as my study desk.

And this brought up some questions...
My family's been saying that this is the devil because maybe I'm not following close enough to my Christian beliefs. (Scientific or not, they're saying that it is not a good sign.)

Do you think Christianity and sleep paralysis are somehow connected?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:10 pm
From a Scientific and Faith-Based viewpoint: You DID say that hallucinations are a common part of Sleep paralysis, correct? Could it just be a hallucination? Or perhaps something that was in the dream before you woke up? Were you doing anything stressful or have you not had proper sleep in a few days? Either or both of these can worsen the symptoms of any mental illness.

No, I do not believe that Sleep Paralysis and Christianity are necessarily related, but the lord does talk to us through mysterious ways. But whether you have been following your christian beliefs or not (seeing as that is a personal matter, I will not inquire about it), what you experienced sounds more like a demonic attempt at scaring you than a god-given call. There are recorded cases of things like this happening, such as the one couple who woke up to see a pair of glowing red eyes in the corner of their (darkened) room. Usually, closing your eyes and saying a quick, heartfelt prayer for intervention will end the sensation (it worked for them). And if it doesn't, then its a 99% chance that it is something natural that you just should not worry about.

Sleep Paralysis or not, the time when our brains are not at their complete ability to function is usually when a spiritual experience, godly or demonic, will occur. The mind is less aware of it's physical surroundings, and is already halfway into the dreaming state. Now, this is not to say that this will happen whenever you wake up; in fact, its extremely rare for anyone. I'm just saying that it is a coincidence that you experienced this during a symptom of your Sleep Paralysis, so no, they are not connected.  

Gregar828

starry night-163

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:58 pm
Hey I've had sleep paralylsis too! it feels horrible! and I've had that tapping thing too! and I've also come to the same conclusion as your family but there's no such thing as not following close enough to Jesus it's either your in or your out so I have to wounder am I saved and is this demon? I hade a creepy experience when I had the tapping in which I think I was trying to be possesed but it couldn't do it lol . But when I pray for God not to let it happen it doesn't happen, I remember it happened once or almost happened, cuz I can tell when it's gonna happen because I had forgotten to pray but then I prayed about it and I don't remember too well what happened lol  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:18 am
I'm hesitant to attribute to either God or Demons what may, in fact, be a purely mundane phenomenon. It's easy to trick ourselves into believing something that isn't true, simply because we either want it to be true or we're afraid that it is. If this experience has only happened once, and doesn't repeat, then you probably don't need to worry about it. Now, if it happened every single night (paralysis + noise), then you might have something to seriously consider.

Considering the extent to which people all over the world have experienced sleep paralysis (some people think it's the work of aliens, for example, and there's detailed records of the phenomenon going back many, many years under different names), I don't think that Sleep Paralysis and Christianity have any particular connection.  

Rednal

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

starry night-163

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:58 pm
Rednal
I'm hesitant to attribute to either God or Demons what may, in fact, be a purely mundane phenomenon. It's easy to trick ourselves into believing something that isn't true, simply because we either want it to be true or we're afraid that it is. If this experience has only happened once, and doesn't repeat, then you probably don't need to worry about it. Now, if it happened every single night (paralysis + noise), then you might have something to seriously consider.

Considering the extent to which people all over the world have experienced sleep paralysis (some people think it's the work of aliens, for example, and there's detailed records of the phenomenon going back many, many years under different names), I don't think that Sleep Paralysis and Christianity have any particular connection.

The reason I think it might be is because well for one this

Matthew 17:14-18
14(M)When they came to the crowd, a man came up to Jesus, falling on his knees before Him and saying,
15"Lord, have mercy on my son, for he is a lunatic and is very ill; for he often falls into the fire and often into the water.

16"I brought him to Your disciples, and they could not cure him."

17And Jesus answered and said, "You unbelieving and perverted generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring him here to Me."

18And Jesus rebuked him, and the demon came out of him, and the boy was cured at once.

The boy was made ill because of the demon so I just figured it could be a possibility.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:14 pm
Facepalm.jpg  

Official Sasuke Uchiha

lifelessdoll_13

Beloved Mage

7,450 Points
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:39 pm
well my parents aways told me you won't be harmed unless you invite it in, like demons and such which always put my mind at peace, because i hear some weird stories about demons like the one where the guy goes to this one lady to see a demon, and his relationship with go was weak and he got a stalker demon who laughed at his face, or something like that, but knowing that god protects me while i'm asleep makes me happy, i think its just part of the illness, and not a demon.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:57 am
Possible, yes, but maybe not probable. ^^ As I said, I hesitate to assume that God or Demons have done something. Mind you, I absolutely believe that there is evil in this world and that it is actively trying to take over people and turn them away from God, so don't get me wrong there. However, if we assume that everything is the result of a particular power, it's much too easy to also assume that we don't have to hold ourselves, or others, accountable for their actions. Among other things.

Is it possible that there's some kind of demon attack going on here? Yes. I don't have evidence beyond reasonable doubt to the contrary, so I refuse to rule out the possibility. But I don't think it's very likely; the fact that something can happen doesn't mean it actually has. A tapping sound may have been an animal outside, for example, or maybe a tree being pushed against the house by some wind. Or some weight distribution making a few creaking sounds in the house. There are many possible explanations (none of which I can conclusively prove), so I'm just hesitant to assume a darker force at work.

Though, I guess it's good to stay on guard. ^^ Better than not being on guard enough.  

Rednal

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Bible and other christian discussions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items