Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
I have questions Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WoodSorrelWitch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Gregar828
Pawz, let me say that I commend you for thinking this way, and even more so for bringing it up here. It shows that you think for yourself and you have the courage to say what you think, yet you will accept and maybe even incorporate the ideas of others. Those qualities are not found often in society, and even more rarely are they found together in the same person.

Onto your questions: The truth is, none of us could tell you definitively that God exists. We don't have any scientific proof of the existence of god (save for the fact that it HAS been proven that all humans were descended from one common mother, though that isn't proven to be linked to god, just the possibility of an Adam and an Eve), and most of our historical truth is based mostly on faith. We have just as much possibility of being wrong as a Hindu, Atheist, Jew, Muslim, or any other religion. And as humans, we cannot help but be curious about whether these religions might make some sense. But as humans, we all must make a choice on what to believe, and no matter how much evidence is produced, faith will always play a part in it. Personally, I chose Christianity because it made the most sense to me (I used to be a lot like you, and I did a lot of study into most major religions), I've actually spoken with god (I know, you're rolling your eyes thinking "not another one that believes something ludicrous like this." It is true, though if you wanted me to tell you why I'd prefer to do it through PM), and that it just felt right to choose it over other religions. And while I would hope you choose to accept Christianity, no one can make you choose what you believe other than yourself.

Is it arrogant? Maybe, yes. Is it arrogant to insist on a mathematical formula is correct when it has been proven correct. Considering it has been proven, not really. If it were not proven correct, yet someone still insisted it was correct, would they be arrogant? Maybe, yes. The end result justifies arrogance or wisdom, and because we cannot see an end result to religion until we're dead, it will always be perceived as arrogant to say that Christianity is correct.

As for god showing himself in different ways through other religions, that's actually an extremely interesting and plausible theory. Seeing as religion was created by humans, religion will have flaws. And many religions ARE quite similar (Norse and Greek, Babylonian and Egyptian, Jewish and Islamic, etc.), so maybe god did come to them, and they all interpreted his coming differently, and wrote it down differently. However, I personally believe that Christianity is right, mainly because we had the son of god himself come and preach it to us. You don't get much better of a translator than that.

Thank you :3
I am a Christian and have been for about 5 years or so. However, I have realized that I could not explain or give reasons for what and why I believe the way I do. Now, I seek to be able to have reasons for why I believe this.
I didn't roll my eyes when you said you have spoken with God. I have had that experience too. That was years and years ago. I don't seem to be able to hear Him, even though I believe He hasn't stopped talking to me.
Thank you for taking the time to post.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:20 pm
Kyramud
PawzPrint
Kyramud
Arrogant? Maybe, depending on whom you go to. Most christians probably won't see it that way, but then again that's an opinion based question.

As for intolerant, definitely. The christian religion isn't tolerant at all, never has been.
Ah, I see. The more I think about it, the more I can understand that. Thank you for your posts, they have given me some help in my struggles.

heh, no problem. Just trying to help. biggrin

Just one more thing though, if you're looking for a good book to sort through some apologetics I'd suggest 'Know why you believe' by Paul E. Little. It's a great read, and helped me answer some of the questions I had.
I actually found that book at a garage sale and bought it. I think it might be a good time to sit down and read it now. Something told me I'd need it at a later point when I found it.  

WoodSorrelWitch

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:41 am
PawzPrint
Shadows-shine
PawzPrint
Shadows-shine
I'm not sure if my answer will provide much useful insight, but I was thinking about what C.S. Lewis had said in his book Mere Christianity. In ch. 6, I believe, it's called the Rival Conceptions about God (or some thing like that...it's been a while since I've looked at the book)..any ways, he was talking about how each religion, no matter how far out they seem contain atleast some hint of truth. So, I don't think it's right for Christians to walk around with the attitude that every one who has different beliefs than we do are ALL wrong or that we have it ALL right, because we don't know that, because we don't have absolute knowledge of all things. So therefore to have the attitude that we do have that knowledge isn't right.
That's an interesting idea. I do have Mere Christianity. I have tried reading it a few times but for some reason I found it hard to get through and so I ended up putting it down for periods of time. I might try reading it again.
Though, then I'm lead to ask, how do we know which parts are right and which parts are wrong? Is this were our faith in God comes into play?

The only chapter I have read really in depth is chapter 6. It really helped clear some things up for me about religion.

Yes, I would say that's where our faith in God comes in, since faith is defined as the assurance of things hoped for or the evidence of things unseen. Sure we don't have absolute knowledge, but we don't have to. If we did, then faith, a principle of the gospel of Christ, would be void.

Since we have been given the standard of what is right and wrong from scripture, we use that knowledge and you can see the elements from other religions that fit into that. But I don't think we should assume that all other religions are all wrong compared to Christianity.

((I hope that made sense... sweatdrop ))
It did make sense and thank you :3

You're welcome!  
Bible and other christian discussions

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas