Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
KJV, Why are people still saying it's acurate? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:01 am
emocolossal636
First, I'd like to respond to this, since my response will most likely be shorter and less.. uhm.. angry... :

Shadows-shine
I have found errors in all the translations of the Bible, so that's why I tend to double check them against the Greek and Hebrew translations. It makes it easier to understand and brings the verses into context more so.

One of the main reasons theres problems with every translation of the Bible is because several of the Greek/Hebrew words can't be directly translated into English. We don't have words that hold the same depth of meaning, or even the same meaning at all, to several of the original words.
For example, in the story of Adam and Eve, we've all been told God put Adam into a deep sleep before taking his rib out. When you look at the original manuscripts and actually take the original words for what they are, Adam didn't just get put into a "deep sleep," it was a state like that of death. Adam wasn't catching some Zs, God had actually caused him to cease functioning temporarily in order to remove his rib to create Eve.

Samuels Fourth Call
The KJV is widely regarded as the one the most poorly translated English bibles in circulation by nearly every Textual Scholar and his Dog. Primarily due to the fact that it referenced so "little" from early manuscripts and relied extensively on the Latin Vulgate.
Added to this it has the prestige of

Containing thirty added verses
Thirty One missing Verses
Two Misplaced verses
Nine Verses not found in the earliest of manuscripts(Though to be fair, these are included in most Bibles the better ones leave footnotes to the effect though)
Fourty Seven incorrect words (each of repeated instances)words Latin and Greek sources
and over thirty general mistranslation errors.

It is in fact such a poor translation, that the Church of England(for whom it was translated) no longer use it, and favour other translations.

Not to mention the whole "Lucifer" debauchle the KJV is single-handedly responsible for.

I am constantly seeing Christian's making the horrific claim that the KJV is an accurate translation or worse "The Most Accurate" translation.

Why does this myth persists, and are there any Christians present that can give some form of evidence to support this claim?

The main thing that bugs me is not the people who think the KJV is accurate. Not those that think it's most accurate, even.
What really "lights my fire" (love how old I can make myself sound by saying that) is people who think that the KJV is the "Only True Version of the Bible."
I'm sorry if any of you turn out to be one of these people, and I know this doesn't sound very Christian, but I will call you dumb to your face. If the KJV was the only true version of the Bible, what about the original manuscripts it was based off of? Are you saying those aren't true? If so, you've just admitted that the KJV is based off of un-godly words, and thus the KJV cannot be the only true version of the Bible.
Also, if you believe that anyone who prefers a different version or even reads a different version of the Bible other than the KJV is a sinner...?! I mean, come on. Try to be logical.
There's a whole group of people who call themselves "KJV-onlyists" who believe this. There's a website, a guy who has a church out in Arizona, etc who all conform to this way of thinking, and they're sick and obviously have some issues...
KJV-onlyist Website
(The website infuriates me. Not to mention, my last bf's church was on their "approved churches list.")
KJV-Onlyist Pastor Steven Anderson
Can you honestly look at these and not be enraged?
Hence why I said I double check the translations against the original manuscripts. I know there is no such
thing as a perfect translation.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:51 am
Shadows-shine
emocolossal636
First, I'd like to respond to this, since my response will most likely be shorter and less.. uhm.. angry... :

Shadows-shine
I have found errors in all the translations of the Bible, so that's why I tend to double check them against the Greek and Hebrew translations. It makes it easier to understand and brings the verses into context more so.

One of the main reasons theres problems with every translation of the Bible is because several of the Greek/Hebrew words can't be directly translated into English. We don't have words that hold the same depth of meaning, or even the same meaning at all, to several of the original words.
For example, in the story of Adam and Eve, we've all been told God put Adam into a deep sleep before taking his rib out. When you look at the original manuscripts and actually take the original words for what they are, Adam didn't just get put into a "deep sleep," it was a state like that of death. Adam wasn't catching some Zs, God had actually caused him to cease functioning temporarily in order to remove his rib to create Eve.

Samuels Fourth Call
The KJV is widely regarded as the one the most poorly translated English bibles in circulation by nearly every Textual Scholar and his Dog. Primarily due to the fact that it referenced so "little" from early manuscripts and relied extensively on the Latin Vulgate.
Added to this it has the prestige of

Containing thirty added verses
Thirty One missing Verses
Two Misplaced verses
Nine Verses not found in the earliest of manuscripts(Though to be fair, these are included in most Bibles the better ones leave footnotes to the effect though)
Fourty Seven incorrect words (each of repeated instances)words Latin and Greek sources
and over thirty general mistranslation errors.

It is in fact such a poor translation, that the Church of England(for whom it was translated) no longer use it, and favour other translations.

Not to mention the whole "Lucifer" debauchle the KJV is single-handedly responsible for.

I am constantly seeing Christian's making the horrific claim that the KJV is an accurate translation or worse "The Most Accurate" translation.

Why does this myth persists, and are there any Christians present that can give some form of evidence to support this claim?

The main thing that bugs me is not the people who think the KJV is accurate. Not those that think it's most accurate, even.
What really "lights my fire" (love how old I can make myself sound by saying that) is people who think that the KJV is the "Only True Version of the Bible."
I'm sorry if any of you turn out to be one of these people, and I know this doesn't sound very Christian, but I will call you dumb to your face. If the KJV was the only true version of the Bible, what about the original manuscripts it was based off of? Are you saying those aren't true? If so, you've just admitted that the KJV is based off of un-godly words, and thus the KJV cannot be the only true version of the Bible.
Also, if you believe that anyone who prefers a different version or even reads a different version of the Bible other than the KJV is a sinner...?! I mean, come on. Try to be logical.
There's a whole group of people who call themselves "KJV-onlyists" who believe this. There's a website, a guy who has a church out in Arizona, etc who all conform to this way of thinking, and they're sick and obviously have some issues...
KJV-onlyist Website
(The website infuriates me. Not to mention, my last bf's church was on their "approved churches list.")
KJV-Onlyist Pastor Steven Anderson
Can you honestly look at these and not be enraged?
Hence why I said I double check the translations against the original manuscripts. I know there is no such
thing as a perfect translation.

Mk. sweatdrop
Sorry if I said it a bit harshly. Wasn't my intention. Just felt like explaining what I knew, I suppose.  

__MochaNeko__TM__

Tipsy Strawberry

xinixane

4,750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:55 am
I still like the KJV bible.
honestly, I never read it... but I have read some of the verses online, and I like it.

When I read it, I feel like... holy?
Like the words in it have power or something.... ^____^

just saying~!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:52 am
Bible Comparison
No Liars In Heaven  

Robotic Chewie19

Anonymous Mosh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:21 am
I'd have to agree with a lot of that that has been said - it's difficult to get a direct translation, and though the Bible is God-inspired too many people have had ahold of it to get anything accurate.
I think that there one thing that we have to remember here, other than what was stated. When reading the Bible, or anything else that claims Truth, unless we read with the discernment of the Holy Spirit, it's only words on a page.
I continue to read the KJV, by the way. Knowing full well that the past Bibles it was based on were not accurate. But because there is so much that I don't understand, and so long of time that I didn't have people to explain it to me, I won't read it without prayer. lol

Anon. Mosh

PS
Another thought - I really think God has this in hand. If He can move whole mountains and destroy entire kingdoms, as well as make our world as intricate as it is, I would think that He could make sure that we got His message one way or another. If we want it. And it's not like He didn't see it coming. lol  
Bible and other christian discussions

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff